PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me on finding a good pair of ice fishing boots, please!

scott_edmonton
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I felt really cold when fishing last weekend, I think I need a warm water proof boots on the ice, can anyone tell me where I could find a good deal in Edmonton?

Thanks,

Scott

Rockymtnx
12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www2.marks.com/productImages/product_2626-lrg.jpg

http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?categoryID=321&start=17&href=%2Fctwnew%2Fmarkprod%2Ensf%2FProductListByID% 2FB39BBBC7CCAC84B7872571F0002ABB08%3FOpenDocument

Marks Work Wearhouse -100 "Rig Master" Syntrol Felt Pacs with ARMOUR-FLEX

Durable syntrol coated upper.
Shell remains flexible in extreme conditions.
ESR protection.
Hi-Vis collars for added safety.
Oil, diesel and petroleum resistant.
PU rubber outsole.
These boots features ARMOUR-FLEX® the provides the following:
1) metal free safety plate that bends easily
2) reduces foot exhaustion,
3) metal free safety toe is lighter weight
These boots also has FRESHTECH™ which offers the following:
1) inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi.
2) prevents odour and fabric deterioration

Style: 8524DWCA

Price: 189.99(CDN$)

Battery
12-22-2008, 10:12 AM
yea got mine from mark's too, not that model but theyre good to -40 and water proof. They got lots there.

tyee33
12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Dunlops, use the blue socket also found at Marks, ($12), boots around $180, excellent all round boot, light, easy to slip on and off.Used mine last 2 days and it was -37 around Cold Lake, no problem, boots get a little stiff if not moving at that temp but what boot wouldnt.

Shmag
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, What ever boot you decide on, buy the bama socks. They are a blue slipper that goes on your foot, so you will probably need a half size bigger boot. In my opinion they are a must, even when your feet are wet they will keep your feet warm. Firemen wear them in ordinary rubber boots, heck i am still wearing summer rubber boots, with bama,s and do alot of work outside.

wolf
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6673016&bmUID=1229976428415&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442291819&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

jrs
12-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Peavy mart have these great big insulated winter boots that are awesome for ice fishing. I paid $104 last year, i went out a few days where the high was around -20 and i didn't get cold feet in the least. The only thing i don't like is they're steel toe and heavy. But ice fishing normally doesn't involve walking more than a few km a day so they're just fine. They're water proof almost to the knees which is also nice, i've been enjoying them while out cutting wood the past few days as well, very good boots for the money. I probably wore them 50 days so far and no signs of wearing out either so thats a good sign. Stop in there and i'm sure you'll know the ones i mean, they dwarf almost all the other boots.

scott_edmonton
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all your help, will buy one on boxing day, enjoy fishing!

The Fisherman Guy
12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
x100 on Bama socks. No matter what you wear for boots, they will increase the warmth tremendously.

pecker
12-22-2008, 06:30 PM
BAMA, BAMA, BAMA, What ever boot you decide on, buy the bama socks. They are a blue slipper that goes on your foot, so you will probably need a half size bigger boot. In my opinion they are a must, even when your feet are wet they will keep your feet warm. Firemen wear them in ordinary rubber boots, heck i am still wearing summer rubber boots, with bama,s and do alot of work outside.

where can you get the bama socks ?? first i've heard of them and i've been around a long time .:lol: thanks ahead of time.:wave:

kens
12-22-2008, 06:50 PM
www.rkde.com/cowsmopolitan/muckboot.htm

Can't beat Muck Boots!

double gun
12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
where can you get the bama socks ?? first i've heard of them and i've been around a long time .:lol: thanks ahead of time.:wave:

X2

deanmc
12-23-2008, 05:40 AM
http://www2.marks.com/productImages/product_2626-lrg.jpg

http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?categoryID=321&start=17&href=%2Fctwnew%2Fmarkprod%2Ensf%2FProductListByID% 2FB39BBBC7CCAC84B7872571F0002ABB08%3FOpenDocument

Marks Work Wearhouse -100 "Rig Master" Syntrol Felt Pacs with ARMOUR-FLEX

Durable syntrol coated upper.
Shell remains flexible in extreme conditions.
ESR protection.
Hi-Vis collars for added safety.
Oil, diesel and petroleum resistant.
PU rubber outsole.
These boots features ARMOUR-FLEX® the provides the following:
1) metal free safety plate that bends easily
2) reduces foot exhaustion,
3) metal free safety toe is lighter weight
These boots also has FRESHTECH™ which offers the following:
1) inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungi.
2) prevents odour and fabric deterioration

Style: 8524DWCA

Price: 189.99(CDN$)

I have these for work and use them to fish because its what I have. But I would never buy them just for fishing. They are steel shank and toe. Way too heavy and uncomfortable for that. I would go with dunlops with bama socks too. Any workwear store will sell them. Marks absolutely has them.

Shmag
12-23-2008, 09:10 AM
I purchased my bama's from Mark's work warehouse. After wearing them i would never go with-out. Think they are about 15-20 buck's, they also make great stocking stuffer's for the outdoorsman. Alot of boot's don't come in half sizes and my foot is 9 1/2, so with bama's they fit perfectly with a size 10 boot. I work in the oilfield and everyone here is now wearing them and swear by them.

gunsnreels
12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
eol

Wolverine Boy
12-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I bought a pair of these about ten years ago for ice-fishing after having been through several pairs of boots. I have fished some brutal conditions and have never had cold feet in these. They are a little heavy and I wouldn't suggest you do a lot of hiking in them but don't buy a pair of boots without at least having a look at these first. Lacrosse has a good site but I'm not sure who sells them anymore locally, you will have to speak with them about that.

If you do buy a pair I would suggest a second pair of the removable liners so you can switch them up if you get sweated up in them.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/id/102785.do

TundraBuck
12-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Irish Setter Buck Tracker 1600's. Built for hunting AND ice fishing. They have the "ice auger" sole which gives you grip on the ice. They are warm, waterproof, and always keep my feet dry. I am a person whose feet sweat alot and then used to get cold, not in these. I use them for everything, I can hike miles and miles and they are extremely comfortable.

Best boot I've ever owned.

http://image.bargainoutfitters.com/dimage/87400_ts.jpg?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

http://image.bargainoutfitters.com/dimage/87398i_ts.jpg?cell=320,320&cvt=jpeg

378 Wthrby
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I purchased my bama's from Mark's work warehouse. After wearing them i would never go with-out. Think they are about 15-20 buck's, they also make great stocking stuffer's for the outdoorsman. Alot of boot's don't come in half sizes and my foot is 9 1/2, so with bama's they fit perfectly with a size 10 boot. I work in the oilfield and everyone here is now wearing them and swear by them.

Good call on the bama's Schmag. They work great, I have found them at Peavey mart as well.

raggmann
12-23-2008, 02:23 PM
My $.02 is I will NEVER buy anything that has the Irish Setter brand name.....bad experience.
I have a pair of (surplus)Canadian Military pac boots with a wool double sock liner.Got them at Holtz in Bashaw.I think they were around $40 and I got an extra set of lines for $25.Sweet little old lady runs the store.
After comin' close to losin' all my toes,I've now found something that'll keep them warm.
They aren't water proof but it takes a LOT to get the water thru the wool lines.

Deki10
12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
x2 on the Irish Setter Buck Tracker 1600's..use them for hunting and fishing and my feet always stay dry and warm.

rustynailz
12-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a pair of the Rig Masters too and would recommend them to anyone.

Last winter I had a little safety mishap with the 3.5HP Jiffy and dropped it right on my foot. My coveralls got pulled into the auger and they tore right off my leg. The throttle got stuck open and in the two seconds it took to shut the auger off I believe I would have been hurt pretty bad were it not for the steel toe.

The boots are super waterproof, which is great for late season slush or for walking in deep snow. Plus, the steel toe makes for a lethal kick to the head of a pike!

Wes_G
12-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I have got the biggest pair of Sorels they used to make. 3 insoles and 2 liners, they are the warmest things out there, I used to think they were the best damn boots I could have for ice fishing. That was untill we went out one day and the car wouldnt start at the end of the day. We had to walk almost 3 k, back to the highway before we found someone that could come give us a boost. After that I very rarely wear them anymore. The fact the were so big and heavy combined with walking through some pretty deep snow, I was nearly dead by the time I got to the highway, and to add insult to injury, my dad who is 37 years my senior, and does far less cardio activity then I do, beat me there by a long shot. Though huge boots may be great for warmth, they suck for walking in. I know use these
http://www2.marks.com/productdetails.asp?categoryID=396&start=1&href=%2Fctwnew%2Fmarkprod%2Ensf%2FProductListByID% 2F47DC07342F85C1CF8725720A002AC3E2%3FOpenDocument
My feet have been warm thus far in them, which is weird for me as my feet are usually cold.

FisherPotch
12-24-2008, 12:30 PM
www.rkde.com/cowsmopolitan/muckboot.htm

Can't beat Muck Boots!

I beg to differ my neoprene got a cut in it increadibly easily, only got like two months use out of them. I was driving and they were sitting next to the batteries for my trolling motor. One of the edges from the battery put a slice in them!!!!!!! I was very PO'd. Livid actually. Loved them until they got the hole though.

FisherPotch
12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I've got Baffins with extra liners. They do very well and I have very poor circulation.

But Any boots will work if you use enough hot packs ;)

FishHound
12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
My baffins from marks work wearhouse are great - had them for five or six years and they are just starting to let in some water. The first year i was wading in the lake in may and my feet did not get wet until i went out to deep. The rubber sides work great.

Rumtan
12-25-2008, 08:44 AM
I also wear Baffins.....good to -45 but I think it feels more like -44 before my feet feel the cold