PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics, Power steering

TBark
03-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Having an issue with my '04 Sierra, Groaning when steering to the left, but the right is good.
Thinking the power steering fluid was low, but it is good, topped it up anyways.
Would this be a sign of the PS pump failing ?
If that was the case, wouldn't it be sluggish steering in both directions ?
Someone told me this may be a sign of the hydrolic lines needing a flush ?
Any thoughts ?

Thanks
TBark

Mechanics, Power steering
03-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Greg, your truck a diesel? This is what happened to my '99 7.3L F350 4by. Power steering pump failed, only about 1/4 in. of dipstick left and was shaped like a needle. Truck was idling at the time from a remote start and when I went out to put some stuff in the cab, it was big time smoke. First thought was a roasted engine because of oil filter leak. Leaking oil was power steering fluid. This affects the power brake booster and roasted that too as well as steering box which has teflon bushings. Hugh melt down. Diesels do not develop the vacuum like gassers so they cannot use the same power brake boost, so the boost is taken from the power steering. It is essential that the oil be cooled so they have their own cooling rad. Had to have that flushed too. Of course I just happened to have the upper and lower ball joints on both sides replaced at the same time. 3200 bucks later, but the bulk of the cost was associated to the power steering episode and that's using a hydraboost from the re-cyclers, it would have been 600 more if that was a new one. So the moral of the story is, get it checked out ASAP.

Possibly your rack and pinion
03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
It could possbily be an issue with your rack and pinion. If it is becoming increasingly difficult to turn to the left you may have a siezed valve. Best to get her in before it stops working completely and you have a bill twice what you could have originally paid.

TBark
03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
5.3 Lt 4 x 4.
Guess I'll get it in for a check.

Thanks
TBark

xsniper
03-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Had an 02 Silverado that done it from new, had a power steering pump changed on that one (broken shaft) but it still done it after. I have an 06 Sierra at present and it has done it since new also and I have 75,000 on it right now. The 02 was a gas and the 06 is a Duramax so I assumed it was just one of those inherent quirks.

bagwan
03-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Talked to my son this afternoon and he said they've had cases where they siliconed rubber components in the front end of GM products. Rubber against rubber when turning makes noises. Without hearing what your groaning noise is, he says its worth a try. Could explain why its one way only. If whoever checks it out doesn't find the problem a can of silicone spray may solve it.