PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Children Near Edmonton

OuttKastt
02-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I would love to take my kids fishing this weekend but don't want to drive for two hours when they might not last more than 30 minutes. My daughter is five and son is four. Where would you take them fishing that is close to Edmonton and where we might have some success?

Thanks

Rikkles Fisher
02-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Try lessard lake it's under an hour from Edmonton and lots of little perch and some nice sized pike.

waterninja
02-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Good weekend for bringing out the little ones. On Monday the Fishing Hole is having there fun derby and kids can get a hot dog and hot chocolate, and have fun stuff to do so they don't get bored. Lots of lakes wihin an hour or so of Edm. and as long as you have a decent vehicle access shouldn't be a problem and they can always warm up in truck.
If you don't have a 4x4 I always suggest Veg. trout pond because you can park near the pond for easy vehicle access and lots of small perch for kids to pull up. Have fun.

jwloco
02-13-2015, 11:01 AM
You could always go to one of the events at either Lac ste Anne or Wab this weekend for the family day long weekend. If I m not mistaken the one at Wab will have predrilled holes and some gear available as well as hot chocolate and snacks. Great time for the kids

Angler
02-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Devils lake, by Onoway, good for little pike, or chip lake, 125 km from Edmonton.

rubberboots
02-13-2015, 01:36 PM
X2 for Wabamun.

I've never been skunked there (yet!) so it's my go-to when I'm taking the kids, or someone that's never caught a fish before! Predator rig with a smelt and lots of snacks for the kids.

Have fun!

Bigwoodsman
02-13-2015, 02:16 PM
Try lessard lake it's under an hour from Edmonton and lots of little perch and some nice sized pike.

Taking a few kids tomorrow to Wizard and on Sunday taking a different group of newbies out to Lessard. Any tips on where to set up on Lessard?

BW

Rikkles Fisher
02-13-2015, 02:57 PM
I usually just go off to the left of the access point in about 6-8feet of water or way to the right there's a point out there. This is at the lessard drive access point on south side.

rubberboots
02-14-2015, 08:11 PM
X2 for Wabamun.

I've never been skunked there (yet!) so it's my go-to when I'm taking the kids, or someone that's never caught a fish before! Predator rig with a smelt and lots of snacks for the kids.

Have fun!

I shouldn't have said I have never been skunked there. Jinxed it and got skunked today!

Willowtrail
02-14-2015, 08:19 PM
All good recomendations. I would say Lessard for small perch so take tungsten mannish hooks from the fishin hole. I'm at Ste anne right now, had and event luck this afternoon and just lost one a few minutes ago. Come out here Monday like ninja said. Lots of free food and goodies.

Ninja- last I heard vegreville died. No aerators and no stocking. It's too bad, took many youngins there to catch perch and trout.

waterninja
02-15-2015, 07:42 AM
All good recomendations. I would say Lessard for small perch so take tungsten mannish hooks from the fishin hole. I'm at Ste anne right now, had and event luck this afternoon and just lost one a few minutes ago. Come out here Monday like ninja said. Lots of free food and goodies.

Ninja- last I heard vegreville died. No aerators and no stocking. It's too bad, took many youngins there to catch perch and trout.
Have to admit that I haven't been to veg. pond for 2 years, as it was mostly small perch taking the hook. At the time I thought it was a good place to bring kids. Pity if it has died off.

Vega21
05-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Have to admit that I haven't been to veg. pond for 2 years, as it was mostly small perch taking the hook. At the time I thought it was a good place to bring kids. Pity if it has died off.

I go every year and never been skunked. Even last year when they said the aerators were off we caught and released a bunch of perch and trouts. Best time to go is usually in mid July till early september