PDA

View Full Version : Newel info needed please

Flint123
02-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna be heading to newel for a couple days this weekend and wondering if anyone could give me any info on ice conditions ect... Id like to find some walleye is there a better part of the lake to get into them? I'm from up north so any info would be much appreciated thanks!

Frozenflyguy
02-13-2015, 02:54 PM
I posted recently about the ice conditions from last weekend. Ice was 21"-24" where i explored and I can't imagine that it has changed much since then (consistent cold nights). that said ... BE CAREFUL ... I don't believe for a second that you should think the whole lake is safe. The launch at the provincial park was in great shape for vehicle access. Pressure crack is running north -south just west of the park and a minor east-west pressure crack north of the island (north of the launch) that you can sneak around. While I am catching lots (pike and whitefish) ... the Walleye continue to elude me there so I can't help much there with hot spots but there is great bathymetric mapping available for the lake to help plan your adventure.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/forms-maps-services/maps/prairies-area-bathymetry-maps/documents/newell.pdf

The last couple times I have been there ... there are groups of people clustered in certain areas ( I suspect targeting large pike) and to my great surprise ... no one was "carefully" exploring anywhere else that I could see!! My opinion has always been ... if you want walleye ... you have to either get lucky staying put in a spot or look hard for them. I choose to hunt for them.

I am sure other guys might offer some thoughts but you can always do what I did and search the history available in this forum ... it is a fantastic resource and you may get more information to help your quest. It also demonstrates that you are willing to work for information which in turn could lead to getting acquainted with some of the guys "in the know".

I know there are members of the forum out there right now that might help you with a current update on ice conditions and if they are generous perhaps a spot or two.

Good luck and be safe.

FFG

EZM
02-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Yup ... there are few veterans of that lake that pull out hogs regularly ..... if they are so inclined ... they might be able to hook you up with a place to start looking.

Flint123
02-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks a lot you guys I really appreciate the info so far. Id love it one of those veterins would be able to point me into a certain section of the lake as I've only fished that lake once in the derby. I'll put out a tip up but mainly targeting walleye. Gonna be heading down early Sunday morning heading home Monday night.

Habfan
02-13-2015, 04:52 PM
I'll see you there Flint !! I'll show you the way !!:)

Jack&7
02-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Well...I am planning on hitting Newell on Monday as well. Got the big girl tags to fill...so that is what I will be looking for.

If anyone wants to meet up, let me know!

harrydude
02-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Many many great places on the lake.

There is a big pressure ridge out from the boat launch. So be carefull

Lots of nice hogs out there ....

Flint123
02-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Had a great time fishing this lake. We managed to get a bunch of walleye and a ton of pike. This walleye was the biggest.

Fishslayer99
02-17-2015, 12:11 PM
well done flint, I will have to get out there and give it a go. It is just a bit intimidating how big a body of water it is, wouldn't even know where to start.

Nice Eye!

Frozenflyguy
02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Well done Flint!!! I guess you found the spot! Wished I could say the same and while we managed a few walleye ... none of the big beauties showed up for a feeding! We caught ours on gold buckshot ... what did you take your eyes on?

Secret coulee
02-17-2015, 01:10 PM
Absolute beaughty flint good job.looks like she took a pike bait.looks like a big smelt or haring tail sticking out of her mouth.