PDA

View Full Version : Finding Perch

Clueless
02-14-2015, 09:51 PM
:sign0176:
This is my season of ice fishing and I've had some decent luck with pike but I'd like to try some Perch. Is there a specific depth of water I should be looking for? Or it's a type of structure, say a hump surrounded by deeper water?
I'm planning to go to Mcgregor and thanks the the member of the form :) I've got a plan to attack some Whitefish but I thoigh having a plan to get some Perch would also be beneficial.:sHa_shakeshout:
Any advice would be fantastic.
Ps really appreciate the advice I got for Whitefish :love0025:

coors04
02-14-2015, 10:09 PM
I don't know anything about the lake your going to but all I can add is perch are funny fish. In some lakes like gull I find them more often then not is 12 feet or less. In burn stick lake the perch are in 20+ feet of water. Once you find what depth of water they like for the lake you are at I find a large spoon can attract them and smaller gear will get them to bite. Best of luck sorry I couldn't help on the specific lake your targeting perch at.

Secret coulee
02-14-2015, 10:42 PM
Excellent advice.perch are very prolific predators that are very agressive.flasher spoons in micro form are great when locating perch.if you are not seeing perch in the slightest to even take a look keep moving.i realize the big guys 9" plus are truely finacky and right days on new moon and barometric pressure is key.but regardless they will always come take a look.so if you are not seein perch move,no if and buts about it because they are a true prey species that are always on the move regardless.

Kim473
02-15-2015, 03:25 AM
I allways target them in about 12 fow, then move deeper and shallower if a no show of them. 8 - 16 fow.

chriscosta
02-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Go to your lake and drill a buncha holes along a good gradual drop every 15 feet diagonally jaw jackers reaply helped this yr ..but anyway do about ten holes and give em each a few min of your time if theyre there and biting youll know use a small hook like my fave a smallest of the small red head and white body jig on bottom and a good shrimp or backswimmer fly or a plain old tiny egg hook about 6 to 8 inches up tip em both with maggots..bounce tbe bottom hook off bottom and move it lightly the fish will come see the dust youve made and when ya raise it an inch theyll get it if theyre being skittish and just looking let the jig sit on bottom and with a loose line move that top hook around gently youll see on a camera theyll usually grab the top hook ...if all your finding is smapl perch then move deeper in the same area the fish should get better

1bluZebec
02-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Nice response Chris. Very specific and helpful.

chriscosta
02-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Thats how i look for perch anyways weve done it that way since before i can remember and we do usually find em ..good luck