PDA

View Full Version : Baby and outdoor activities

flint guy
02-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Im having a tough time convincing my wife that babies can infact come along on outdoor adventures. Day hikes, fishing, hunting, etc. for her its always to hot, to cold, to much work, to messy to everything to do anything. I would like any suggestions on making simple taking my now 8 month old out. We have no friends really here, and no family at all, so no sitter or support staff. Mom needs to get out, and baby has to come too.

Have you brought your infant ice fishing? Or anyhring out door in winter for an extended time. Tips tricks tools?

What other winter stuff can you do with an infant?

blgoodbrand1
02-16-2015, 11:13 AM
My kids do what we do, Always have. Sometimes you have to modify your activity but no need to eliminate it. Kids are tough and they'll do fine. Shed hunting, ice fishing, rabbit snaring, checking calves, feeding cows. Wrap em up stickem in a pack and have fun.

blgoodbrand1
02-16-2015, 11:16 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/84bb40c9438f67db51077f5d1bdd7d5a.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/b8308cf3a0dfc3b6972cf7637018dce1.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/bbf48bcf75af10cc8e1c5126f8c4da93.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/55a24bd22c3c987eaa04baececf48051.jpg

blgoodbrand1
02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Couple more to encourage you that good times can and will be had. Wish I had more pics of the babies out and about. They were there, we have 4 boys and if we hadn't drug them along everywhere....wouldn't have left the house.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/4b6f8bfb612f03955d803ab5e39578c4.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/79d2f8fd2152b77576bce19468c6706d.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/fb6229b8dc7fa889eb724f5841009801.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/16/655f6e0f65848638ed7adfe45d6d7bfa.jpg
( the quad was parked on flat ground while we tagged calves and no children were hurt in the taking of this picture for the safety police)

flint guy
02-16-2015, 11:47 AM
The pics are great, thanks for that. I guess some creative thinking will go along way.

Hugenuge
02-16-2015, 11:58 AM
Im having a tough time convincing my wife that babies can infact come along on outdoor adventures. Day hikes, fishing, hunting, etc. for her its always to hot, to cold, to much work, to messy to everything to do anything. I would like any suggestions on making simple taking my now 8 month old out. We have no friends really here, and no family at all, so no sitter or support staff. Mom needs to get out, and baby has to come too.

Have you brought your infant ice fishing? Or anyhring out door in winter for an extended time. Tips tricks tools?

What other winter stuff can you do with an infant?

Hey man I came across this video the other day and check out the guy at 6:35 into the video to see his kid that came along with him!! Just to be clear i came across this video because my friend told me guys to this to get sheds and i could not believe it was true. I do not promote what he is doing at all, just suggesting you watch it to see that bringing your kid is possible. I can also tell you what kind of pack he used as i messaged him to find one for my kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYleYnQ7Uzw

nast70
02-16-2015, 12:08 PM
We always went out as kids. There are photos of me and my sisters as infants in the boonies. And by boonies I mean 4x4 to the middle of nowhere where most gu7s would fly in.
My kids have been invloved since they were born as well. Its tougher now that they have more interest in other things but they still come out snowmobiling and quading a couple times a year.

unclebuck
02-16-2015, 01:04 PM
We took our eldest out tenting in May, when he was 2 months old. He is now in his mid 30's and a 6'2", 255 lb., tougher than boiled owl manure graduate of St. John's School of Alberta '95. No more need be said. Our daughter who was born in December had to wait until February to go out. She too, while a petite lady, lives in the bush over the summer every opportunity that she can take advantage of, living from what she can gather there. Neither my wife nor myself have any regrets about starting the kids early, and keeping them out there!!!! We spend most of the summer in the bush with the grand kids now that we are retired, hoping that they will take up our lifestyle.

Red Bullets
02-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Kids are sponges. Take them out early in life and nature becomes part of their fiber. If kids stay indoors and don't get out, nature becomes foreign and kids grow up not knowing about the good things on the planet.

Kids are great mushroom and shed hunters... they are closer to the ground and are good spotters.

rosh
02-16-2015, 02:47 PM
No better place then the outdoors. Our 2 have done our activities since day one. They would live in the trailer if they could. Just use your imagination and have bundled up good in the cold( can always take layers off). Pluse the fresh air will make the little one sleep good!! Enjoy it

HintonRob
02-16-2015, 03:45 PM
Mountain Equipment Coop sells kids backpacks that are really comfy for dad and baby. We used our a lot with both our kids. You just got to modify it a bit so it stays kid fun so they want to do it again.

ESOXangler
02-16-2015, 03:51 PM
My only rule for ice fishing is they have to be bigger than the hole!

u_cant_rope_the_wind
02-16-2015, 03:53 PM
a wise mother once told me . don't put your life on hold while your waiting for the kids to grow up. pack them up and take them with you

roper1
02-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Fresh air, baby sleeps, clear sunshine day, all alone in the wilderness, baby sleeping, you know............

Sooner
02-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Get the kid outside as much as possible. Start with good walks, then do a weeny roast or something. Then go for a drive in the country. Then go ice fishing. Start slow, take the baby bag full of diapers, snacks and such, keep baby warm and baby will be just fine. If momma don't want to go, then go make memories with your kid.

flint guy
02-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Sounds like some cool moms out there... Half my trouble is trying to get the missus to agree Im not insane for saying a baby should go Ice fishing. The comments in the thread helped, we are wearing her down! Next ill need tips for a booster seat in the canoe, first a bigger ice tent that fits the bassinet.
Im a huge MEC fan, and have seen the baby backpacks, what one did you buy hintonrob? How long did your lil ones stay in there with the entertainment mods? You know before going nuclear.

Dacotensis
02-16-2015, 05:29 PM
I think that 80% of the issue is mom feels she won't get to enjoy anything.
Kids are enough work around the comforts of a house.

Think about feeding time, diaper changes and all the bags that those babies need.
I'm telling you. Women tend to learn to dislike camping and other outdoor activities because it becomes more like work.
I'm a single dad. Separated when my youngest was 6 months.
I still took her out with me and it's not always easy. But it does get easy as they get older.
Tell momma that you will shoulder some of the work load.
She can get a fire going while you sit and feed or change the little turd :)

Believe me, I've talked to many women about this outdoor life with kids.
It's how most of them feel.

Pampered barbies. Sigh
Never again.

Nicevenn
02-16-2015, 06:09 PM
Some of my favourite pictures are of my daughter unconscious in the carrier as I took her everywhere I could. My advice is that baby is 8 months old so your wife may be feeling a little overworked by your little one right now. Why not do all the prep and pack up baby for a starter afternoon outing with you. As long as your little one is warm and fed it'll be great for everyone! And maybe after hearing what a great time you are having with the little one, mom may decide to give it a try. Best of luck!

Heron
02-16-2015, 10:39 PM
Take up cross country skiing. There are awesome "pokes"(sp?) that I towed my kids around in. Strathcona Wilderness Center rents it all if you want to try it out. Carried my son into some cool places in a MEC backpack. Super cool cycling trailers invented recently. Like has been said already... Just get out there!

beltburner
02-16-2015, 11:10 PM
if you want it to work then make sure momma is warm, happy and not over worked with kids.
first dozen trips for us involved me taking care of the twins while she had fun fishing or quading.
After that I think she started to finally feel guilty enough and let me have some fun too.

Grey Owl
02-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Kids can do nearly anything, as many on here can attest, and we could certainly add our own stories as well. After working in outdoor education with everything from kindergarten to octogenarians, I do have a little advice. When coaching families on getting started in the outdoors, I encourage them to remember that going fishing, hunting, hiking, canoeing, etc, the trip is not about you, it is about the kids.

This is particularly true for parents that believe they are already competent in the outdoors. The hardest thing to learn is to pace the adventures, and the choice of activity to the beginners, not the experienced. This doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge the kids, only that or first goal and primary focus is for the kids to love the experience.

So get out there with the kids, be prepared for things that might go wrong, play games, throw rocks, roll over logs, chase squirrels, catch bugs, pick berries, start fires, roast marshmallows, stargaze, talk about the moon, sing silly sings, bark at cars, crawl, play in the mud and catch snowflakes.

JB_AOL
02-17-2015, 07:50 AM
There are so many variables that determine what you can do with your kid.

For example, my kids hated backpack carrier thing. Yes, even when they were under 1 year, they would squirm and cry the whole time. And trust me, we tried to make it work.

Chariot, my kids hated when we walked with it. Yet when I ride bike and pull the chariot, they can go for hours.

Biggest thing is start slow. Don't expect to go ice fishing for a whole day. You might get 1/2 day if you're lucky.

Now, on the otoh, my kids are 3 & 6, and they both love going for hikes/bike rides, spending time in the outdoors. When we are glamping, we have to drag them inside for bed.

My point is, plan for the worst. your kid will get bored. how are you going to deal with that. Napping. Some kids need a proper bed/pitch dark/etc to nap. Some kids will not leave togues, gloves, jackets on. How are you going to deal with that?

Personally it sounds like your wife doesn't want to spend the day ice fishing (too much hassle vs reward). Find something that both of you would enjoy and do it with the kid.