PDA

View Full Version : What trade is the most needed in the oil patch?

Icon
02-16-2015, 11:00 AM
Hey everyone,

One of my boys will be graduating this year and was first considering trying to get a job in Oil and Gas for a few years to save up for college. Now he is starting to think long term after seeing that the Canadian Government is offering interest free loans for apprenticeship trade programs. He has been taking mechanics and other shop classes at high school and has enjoyed it.

So my question is... would there be one or two trades that he should focus on that would be in demand consistently?

Oldranger
02-16-2015, 11:06 AM
i'm a mechanical contractor in central alberta and have a heck of a time getting people to try the sheet metal trade. I have been at it for close to 35 years and it has given me a good living. Everyone wants to be a plumber try the sheet metal trade

Selkirk
02-16-2015, 11:12 AM
. . . So my question is... would there be one or two trades that he should focus on that would be in demand consistently?

Warning; This is Alberta! The term 'consistently' doesn't apply here! :lol:

Seriously, I'd encourage your son to go into a trade (of his choice) that has good demand, both inside and outside the O&G patch. To do otherwise, is folly.

My two nickels,

Mac

tullfan
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Heavy duty mechanic. Repairs required all over the planet, crane opperators. Heavy equipment opperators. These skills are always in demand.
Tullfan

CaberTosser
02-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Some trades tend to ride the up's and downs of the economy, such as Steamfitters. Other trades that can busy themselves on commercial & even residential work when the industrial construction sector is taking a nap would be something to consider. Electricians are always needed; HVAC, plumbing and millwrights also have maintenance aspects (though millwrights don't have any residential options). In trades such as structural iron working there's far less work in low times as the work they've done previously doesn't lend itself to needing maintenance, its only reno's and new work.

One trade that I think seems rather attractive is elevator mechanic, the pay is great and there's lots of maintenance work.

camping4life
02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I agree with cabertosser, the oilpatch trades such as welders and pipefitters feel the wrath of low oil prices.
If i was your son i would look at electrical, plumbing or hvac. always a need and can make good $ doing service work without the roller coaster ride of the patch.

Fowl91
02-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Heavy duty mechanic. Repairs required all over the planet, crane opperators. Heavy equipment opperators. These skills are always in demand.
Tullfan

x2
I am an HET, and there is no shortage of work anywhere i go. Mining, Construction, Transportation, Oilfield, etc... They all use heavy equipment, and it all needs to be fixed.

HintonRob
02-16-2015, 11:38 AM
I am a Pipefitter and we are one of the steadier trades due to maintenance and construction. Also our time on site is much longer than for some trades that come in for a brief period during a job. If he can find it though right now I would recommend he get a job as a laborer and see what interests him. Then as quickly as possible start working on a trade certification. The financial assistance programs for apprentices are great and you can always get a second trade if you get sick of the first. He with the most tickets wins.

Icon
02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Warning; This is Alberta! The term 'consistently' doesn't apply here! :lol:

Seriously, I'd encourage your son to go into a trade (of his choice) that has good demand, both inside and outside the O&G patch. To do otherwise, is folly.

My two nickels,

Mac

Very true!

x2
I am an HET, and there is no shortage of work anywhere i go. Mining, Construction, Transportation, Oilfield, etc... They all use heavy equipment, and it all needs to be fixed.

He has shown a strong interest in mechanics. My father was a light duty mechanic and it was a tough life, seemed to be constantly hurt with something, usually minor though. I was hoping that he might choose something else, but I would rather him choose a path that is his and not mine!

hunter0968
02-16-2015, 12:34 PM
Instrumentation.

Icon
02-16-2015, 12:37 PM
I would recommend he get a job as a laborer and see what interests him. Then as quickly as possible start working on a trade certification. The financial assistance programs for apprentices are great and you can always get a second trade if you get sick of the first. He with the most tickets wins.

This was actually his first plan, but with the downturn right now, we weren't sure how many opportunities there might be a for General Laborer. Guys working towards a career in a trade might have a leg up. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't work in that industry.

bubba 96
02-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Hey everyone,

One of my boys will be graduating this year and was first considering trying to get a job in Oil and Gas for a few years to save up for college. Now he is starting to think long term after seeing that the Canadian Government is offering interest free loans for apprenticeship trade programs. He has been taking mechanics and other shop classes at high school and has enjoyed it.

So my question is... would there be one or two trades that he should focus on that would be in demand consistently?

Just so your aware it's interest free while doing trade the second you get your ticket, you are charged 2percent plus prime on balance owing..that commercial is quite misleading..I was just at red deer college getting my grant paperwork filled out, and asked about this interest free loan, and that is what I was told.
As I did look at that option..

Also in our shop pipefitters and millwrights are always busy in our shop..

Ranch11
02-16-2015, 01:36 PM
Good instrumentation/electrician techs.

MountainTi
02-16-2015, 01:51 PM
As mentioned above, a trade that can be used in an industry other than the oilpatch is what I would be shooting for.
Brother is an electrician, 29 y/o, works in the patch, and making 250 a year, him and his pickup. Spends every night of the year in his own bed in Red Deer. Secret is be the best at what you do, and work hard at it, there are no slow times then.
Damn I wish I woulda stayed in school

petew
02-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Instrumentation is always good, and so is Refrig.

Red Bullets
02-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Good manual machinists will always have work. Interesting, home at night, good wages.

As far as oil and gas, land reclamation will be needed for many years to come. Thousands of wellsites need reclamation and environmental assessments. Exceptional money if a person applies themselves.

Dewey Cox
02-16-2015, 02:22 PM
i'm a mechanical contractor in central alberta and have a heck of a time getting people to try the sheet metal trade. I have been at it for close to 35 years and it has given me a good living. Everyone wants to be a plumber try the sheet metal trade

People still need furnaces even when the oil patch slows down.
With a sheet metal ticket, you can move to a small town where the cost of living is low, the wildlife is abundant, and have all the work you could ever want.
Or stay in he city, if that's your thing.

Albertaguide
02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm an insulator by trade, get last the itch and it's a clean trade. But I'm pushing my son towards a HVAC/electrician ticket. Better than another welder

cody c
02-16-2015, 03:49 PM
I'm an electrician, worked around the province since 2001, it's not a bad trade, but it seems to draw in more folks willing to back stab each other then any of the others I'd say.

Instrumentation tech's are in higher demand and seem to find cleaner work then us sparky's though.

FreeLantz
02-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Instrumentation or electrician. Handy to have in any industry. But if your boy wants to be a man, have him sign on to be a millwright[emoji3]

twofifty
02-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Cook, housekeeping and bus driver.
Nothing happens without these folk.

purgatory.sv
02-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Hey everyone,

What is your background?

Your question is open ended.

Change is always happining.

The best option is a matriculation and option to expand. [Education high and any recognized secondary]

It will be what was once called work ethics but will also invole a social netwok and compromise.

If your child is open to change they will have fortune.

Take with a grain of salt. I like fire.

Mountain Adventurer
02-16-2015, 11:56 PM
I would try and guide him away from the oil patch as much as possible,sure when it's busy it's great money and a stepping stone to further ones education but the money hooks ya and once it hooks ya years of schooling to make less money don't make sense . And then when you need it the most trying to support a growing family it kicks you right in the nads. If he is a smart lad I would suggest something like power engineering or mechanical engineering. Being home every night and making really good money.

outofbounds
02-16-2015, 11:57 PM
Has he looked into Power Engineering? With all the plants increasing in capacity the need for operators has increased three fold. Good balance of home time and excellent pay.

HeavyD111
02-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Being a power engineer myself I would suggest Instrumentation over power engineering. PE is a good field but there are too many grads out there already and every year will get worse. The hiring right now is min 3rd, prefer 2nd with 5+ yrs experience. Instrumentation can be done at Sait as a 2 yr course (what I would do) or as apprenticeship.

If the career path isnt in stone, think about medical.. Pay is higher than most people realize and hospitals are everywhere. SUN union wages for nurses is sask are $48/hr...thats not too shabby. Many other things too, just an example.

Wild&Free
02-17-2015, 01:28 AM
I'd have to agree with the instrumentation or instrumentation technologist people.

machinist is another one for him to consider that will allow him freedom to move away from the patch, same with HD mechanics.

I'd avoid PE. last time we were hiring we had over 20 fresh grads apply each day the ad was up. we dont even have a boiler onsite.

Iron Brew
02-17-2015, 05:08 AM

People still need furnaces even when the oil patch slows down.
With a sheet metal ticket, you can move to a small town where the cost of living is low, the wildlife is abundant, and have all the work you could ever want.
Or stay in he city, if that's your thing.

I agree. I worked in a country shop (handy to Edmonton though) and did manual and CNC machining. When the brake and shear operator left, I took over that job. Regardless of how slow it was for machining or welding, those two pieces of equipment were almost always busy. Farmers come in with rusted out panels, homeowners, restoration, you name it. I found it took more thinking than machining did (with machining you are whittling something to shape) because you are taking something flat and figuring out how to fold it into something useful.

I still ended up as a millwright though. I love it. I would never (personally) be a light duty mechanic. Those things are designed to be ugly to work on. In my own workshop I plan on getting a manual brake. Prolly not a shear though. I can't justify it.

HintonRob
02-17-2015, 10:52 AM
This was actually his first plan, but with the downturn right now, we weren't sure how many opportunities there might be a for General Laborer. Guys working towards a career in a trade might have a leg up. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't work in that industry.

Problem with that is most companies, us included will not take anyone on as an apprentice until they have worked for a bit and proven themselves. And that is even when its busy. We get tons of kids think they want a trade but don't follow through. Been said by many people but if you want your blue book you gotta do your time on the shovel.

I've been in the trades just over 2 years, got my ticket and am a project foreman. You don't want to know what I make. There are great opportunities if you are reliable and willing to outwork everyone else. No backstabbing required. Just be ready to step up to the plate when others drop the ball!

And most importantly make sure he understands that NOBODY is too good or important to do the lousy jobs. Keep his head down, mouth shut and smile.

tchammer
02-17-2015, 02:33 PM
If he is looking at the standard apprenticeship trades he should not be worried about a loan at all! Yes you have to pay some tuition, but the government lets you collect EI while you go to school. It sounds like he is coming straight out of school, so unless he has a kid or such there should generally be no issue with saving enough over the year to get you through. That is one of the absolute highlights of the trades NO STUDENT DEBT!!!

dantonsen
02-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Heavy duty mechanics, lots of older guys near retirement and not near as many young guys/gals getting into the trade.

The secret has kinda gotten out on power engineering but HD mechanics still flys under the high pay high demand trade category.

Sooner
02-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Heavy duty mechanics, lots of older guys near retirement and not near as many young guys/gals getting into the trade.

The secret has kinda gotten out on power engineering but HD mechanics still flys under the high pay high demand trade category.

My 16 yr old son is considering this trade as well. In my job as an appraiser, i go into farm dealers, commercial equipment shops and everything in between and they all say they are always looking for a good HD mechanic. I would think the choices are good once your ticketed and have experience. Most tell me they want apprentices as well.

5Lgreenback
02-17-2015, 03:34 PM
What exactly does someone in the "instrument" or "instrument technologist" do? And would such a trade have much work outside of the oil patch?

Just another inquiring mind, as I'm seriously considering a career change as well.

justsomeguy
02-17-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm going to say dual ticket inst / elect. You can do anything from pulling wires to advanced controls programming. Always in demand in any manufacturing industry and less stress on your body when you're 55.

EP04
02-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Non Destructive Testing.

brobinson
02-18-2015, 01:25 AM
Has he looked into Power Engineering? With all the plants increasing in capacity the need for operators has increased three fold. Good balance of home time and excellent pay.

This is actually incorrect at this point in time. With oil prices crashing, most companies are not hiring. Believe me, I know. I Graduate from the Medicine Hat college in May, and its pretty tough trying to find a job.

However, Oil&Gas are not the only companies that require operators, hospitals, buildings, pulp&paper, petrochemical, fish plants, there are tons of places that require operators to run.

If he's interested in process, then it might be a good fit for him. He sounds alot like me when I finished highschool, I excelled in Mechanics, and I have almost enough hours accumulated from my previous job to take the first year apprenticeship for Heavy Duty.

Intrumentation would be a good choice aswell. Every plant needs instrument guys.

Icon
02-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks so much for the advice everyone! Lots of great ideas and tips. Good to see others getting some info out of this too!

10pt
02-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Ditto ,as long as there is equipment and machinery there is going to be a demand for heavy duty mechanicsand the more expensive the equipment becomes the better the pay will be

bearbuster
02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I would think 3rd class steam or instrumentation and move into operations would be ideal. Good money and operations generally keep on rolling during these times

Bjay
02-19-2015, 10:52 PM
heavy duty mechanic can be really hard on the body as you get older. And once you are in you're in. Hard to get out to do something else. Lots of bad backs., smashed hands, ruptures etc. Just a killer if you end up working outdoors at 30 or 40 below in blowing snow.

TLSpeed
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
I'm an electrician and haven't gone hungry yet, definitely starting to feel the slow down a little bit though. At least there are plenty of options to leave the O&G field all together, just not looking at them yet! I am very happy with electrical, love it.