PDA

View Full Version : Age restriction to purchase knives?

Nicevenn
02-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Just looked over a receipt from Cabelas and saw something there I hadn't noticed before. Underneath my purchase for a new field dressing kit I saw the words "age verified" as a checked off item.
Strange I've never noticed this before. And no this isn't a rant because they didn't actually ask for ID for this item, lol. Guess I must look old enough!
Does anyone know if there is an age restriction on purchasing knives? Just curious.
Can't ever recall being asked for age verification for anything like this.

On a lighter note, I'm quite sure that my intention on any hunting gear purchase may be more dangerous than knife purchases. After all, I need my gear to hunt and kill. Knives are for after animals are dead, so really my clothing is more dangerous. Just a thought!

vinny
02-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Was this in Canada or USA? Just curious. My 8 year old boy just bought a pocket knife at Sportsman Ski Haus in Kalispell this weekend no questions asked, from the guy unlocking the cabinet to the guy at the till. He asked for help himself and paid himself.

VanIsleGuy
02-16-2015, 07:58 PM
At wholesale sports they won't sell knives to anyone under 16

Matt22
02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
I could be wrong, but I have a fuzzy memory of a bylaw being made a few years back in edmonton regarding knife and sword purchases.

Nicevenn
02-16-2015, 08:25 PM
This was at Cabelas in Edmonton.

Nicevenn
02-16-2015, 08:34 PM
I could be wrong, but I have a fuzzy memory of a bylaw being made a few years back in edmonton regarding knife and sword purchases.
To my recollection it was about open carrying of knives in Edmonton.
I have been wrong before though.

From The Hip
02-16-2015, 08:41 PM
I can remember several knife purchases when I was under the age of 11...those being a jack knife/filet knife/hunting knife and I also bought a machete at K-Mart.No hassle at all with each....I guess the nanny state has to protect the young kids these days....for the record I am 43.

FTH

Nicevenn
02-16-2015, 08:50 PM
It could just be the store policy too. I've looked up what I could and just wondered if maybe I missed a regulation or law out there. You know how it is... Just when you think you have something figured out, someone comes along and changes it on you. Just was one of those things that made me go hmm?

Hat in the Cat
02-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Don't mean to derail but I found this interesting bit of info in the Edmonton bylaws while looking for something about the OP's question.

Keep in mind Parkland is any land owned, controlled or maintained by the city designed for public use (also includes cemeteries).

DANGEROUS 13 While on Parkland no person shall:
ACTIVITIES (a) act in a way, including throwing or propelling an object,
that is reasonably likely to cause injury to another
person, or damage to property;

(b) possess any firearm, bow, arrow or hunting type
knife; or

(c) modify any land in a way that is reasonably likely
to cause injury to another person or damage property.

I wonder what the courts would determine is a hunting knife.
:shark:

purgatory.sv
02-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Just looked over a receipt from Cabelas and saw something there I hadn't noticed before. Underneath my purchase for a new field dressing kit I saw the words "age verified" as a checked off item.
Strange I've never noticed this before. And no this isn't a rant because they didn't actually ask for ID for this item, lol. Guess I must look old enough!
Does anyone know if there is an age restriction on purchasing knives? Just curious.
Can't ever recall being asked for age verification for anything like this.

On a lighter note, I'm quite sure that my intention on any hunting gear purchase may be more dangerous than knife purchases. After all, I need my gear to hunt and kill. Knives are for after animals are dead, so really my clothing is more dangerous. Just a thought!

Only if you are guilty????

I have failed in this process, but I think it’s to protect.

My intent has never been to harm, but I am different.

Fire
Good.

Hiwa
02-17-2015, 06:48 AM
I've bought quite a few knives from Cabelas ( Manning & Windermere)
It's just their store policy. Their store, their rules I guess.

I remember when I was in my early teens and could walk into any outdoor shop and buy guns , ammo, knives ,etc. no problems. Mind you, that was 40 years ago.

Cabelas walks you out the store when you buy a firearm , even air rifles. Can't really figure that one out. Must be for liability reasons. Probably the same thing for knives.