PDA

View Full Version : Vernon BC

winged1
02-16-2015, 05:28 PM
after 16 years in Calgary, the misses and I are considering a change. Have received an interesting job offer in Vernon, and would like to hear from anyone who could critic the area. Heading for retirement in the next 5 years, we are considering several areas such as Victoria, Naniamo, etc. Hunt/fish opportunities, crappy winters, etc. Thanks

Artist
02-16-2015, 05:58 PM
What makes Vernon nice is its close proximity to Kelowna :)
...but, a nice laid-back growing city with beautiful outlying areas.

I'm sure Victoria would be nice too, however, the rain would deter me from there.

KGB
02-16-2015, 06:24 PM
There is a really good Dutch guda cheese farm close to Vernon, probably not even a 30 min drive. They have a dozen or more different kind of cheeses and great tasting honey too.
Hope that will help you to decide.... LOL!!!!

Mountain Adventurer
02-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Toffino is an excellent place, very laid back and the schooner restaurant has the best breakfast one will ever have! How ever it is in a tsunami zone if that bothers you,but I would move there in a heart beat!

twofifty
02-16-2015, 07:06 PM
Vanc. Island is nice but the climate is very localized, in terms of rain, snow, sunshine, wind, etc. and the ferry trips to the Mainland are expensive and inconvenient.

Actually, much of BC is highly variable in terms of climate and forests, and the local economy:

You can have towns 50km apart and one gets mild winters with sunshine, the other gets dumped on and freezes. Another place will have great fundamentals in summer but the winter valley cloud cover is ever present. Also, living at 2,000 feet usually means noticeably less snow than living at 3,000 feet. Some areas are bone dry in summer and arctic cold in winter.

Whatever you do, pay attention to which side of the valley your house is built on - it could mean 1hr or more difference in daylight hours, and of course, whether you get morning sun or not.

Sorry winged1 if I've gone into stuff that's obvious if you've lived in the mountains before.

Flieguy
02-16-2015, 08:12 PM
TONS of fishing opportunities around Vernon.

And oh yeah, a lot of the lakes around there are already open water :)

Skybuster
02-17-2015, 09:27 AM
You are making me jealous. I am about 5 years from retirement. My wife and I have been checking out where to retire to for about three years. We have driven all of southern alberta and southern BC. Vernon is our location of choice. The area referred to as Coldstream is one of the nicest. A view of Kalamalka Lake is out desire, the only problem is getting everything we want in a property with a lake view is beyond our means. Going to have to compromise on something, either the lakeview or the property.

We have family in Kelowna and PEachland and have visited all of the Okanagan many times. Peachland in particular but Kelowna as well have one truly magnificent feature that draws us. No mosquitos. In a weeks stay we might see one (1). In the time I have spent in Vernon I don't recall any either, but my time there has been far more limited.

Vernon is a smaller town than Kelowna, not nearly as busy, but still a nice size for shopping etc. The outlying areas are beautiful, likely where we will end up. And if you know the Okanagan at all, you know the gardening is fantastic. Right now, in Peachland, my dad is cleaning the dead plants out of his garden in preparation for gardening.

Good Luck to you. Oh and if you haven't yet, visit MLS.CA and check out house/property prices.

bukwild
02-17-2015, 10:40 AM
We moved out to the Vernon area from Edmonton this summer (30 min drive east of town between Lumby and Cherryville). We are very happy with the area. We are just into the foothills of the Monashee mountains and have excellent fishing, hunting and other outdoor pursuits. The views are spectacular everywhere we go the weather is of course much milder than Alberta. PST is not a welcome change but it has not put a dent in our satisfaction with our new area.

CanuckShooter
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
I'd take Vernon over anywhere on the island for sure, especially if your passion is hunting and fishing. There are some real nice properties between Vernon and Kamloops. Monty Lake area, and huge mule deer.

fishing101
02-17-2015, 10:53 AM
I live on the island in the nanaimo area. It is nice for weather and some good fishing. If you live out here you have to get an ocean boat and don't ever plan on getting off the island with that boat unless you want to spend $500 round trip. The hunting sucks. There is gates around ever corner. I have spent some time in the penticton area. It gets nicer weather then vernon does. It is has two amazing lakes. One has fish in it the other just dead. Close to the states. Get a bit of winter to get your ice fishing fix and usually by march all gone. Great wine and all the fruit you can eat in the summer. The biggest plus is no gates. Can drive around and hunt and not worry. Plus, they have turkeys.

Selkirk
02-17-2015, 10:55 AM
after 16 years in Calgary, the misses and I are considering a change. Have received an interesting job offer in Vernon, and would like to hear from anyone who could critic the area. Heading for retirement in the next 5 years, we are considering several areas such as Victoria, Naniamo, etc. Hunt/fish opportunities, crappy winters, etc. Thanks

I envy you!

My 'misses', so far, refuses to budge ... she says she has too many relatives and friends here that she'd miss. You'd think I was asking her to move to Mars :rolleye2:

For what it's worth, here's another vote for Vernon :47b20s0:

Mac

Kim473
02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
I would like to move there and retire. Only have to wait another 500 years or so.

Mr Conservation
02-17-2015, 07:58 PM
I lived in Vernon for six years before moving to the island in the summer of 2000. It was a great place to live and work. Friendly people. Fresh fruit for a number of months every year.

Will consider moving back to the area when I retire in a couple of years.

As much as I love the island, I am getting tired of all the rain in the winter time, and the cost of the boat to get on and off the island.

Mr Conservation

Wild&Free
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Vernon is nice, can get pretty dusty in the summer I found. I liked Castlegar personally.

twofifty
02-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Is Castlegar a bit cooler & wetter in the summer than Vernon is?

Wild&Free
02-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Is Castlegar a bit cooler & wetter in the summer than Vernon is?

A tad bit cooler, but not much. year I lived in the area, average temp in the summer was in the 35C range and it rained maybe 7-10 days in 4 months after May.

There's walleye in the river near Castlegar though ;)

HalfBreed
02-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Sure glad they built that tunnel under the highway at the cadet camp, it was scary watching trucks lock em up while the little troops were marching across. :confused0068:

Selkirk
02-18-2015, 11:43 AM
http://www.wildairphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/canvas_24x36-nelson-bob.jpg

Nelson, BC

Has anyone here had experience with living in Nelson & area (30 min. east of Castlegar, on Kootenay Lake) ?

Mac

I_forget
02-18-2015, 11:55 AM
When it comes time for me to retire I'll be heading south, not west.

man of steel
02-18-2015, 02:41 PM
http://www.wildairphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/canvas_24x36-nelson-bob.jpg

Nelson, BC

Has anyone here had experience with living in Nelson & area (30 min. east of Castlegar, on Kootenay Lake) ?

Mac

I have lived halfway between Nelson and Castlegar for over 30 years. What do you want to know about the area?

mich
02-18-2015, 05:01 PM
I have lived halfway between Nelson and Castlegar for over 30 years. What do you want to know about the area?

What is your opinion on the Slocan area?

man of steel
02-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Slocan is pretty quiet since the sawmill is gone. Very nice double boat launch and docks. Slocan Lake is very nice. Fishing can be tough. You need to learn the lake. It fishes differently than Arrow, Kootenay or Trout Lake.

Selkirk
02-18-2015, 06:27 PM

I've been there twice in the last five years, camping in the Nelson/Castlegar area, and have a very positive opinion of place, so just your general thoughts on the area. Whatever you'd like to comment on (e.g. the people / climate / hunting / fishing / economy / newcomer acceptance / main employers / real estate market / etc.) ... your choice :)

Thanks in advance,

Mac

RescueDiver
02-18-2015, 09:15 PM
I really like Vernon....wife and I are putting it on the top of our list for somewhere to move to one day. Great Lakes that are all within a few min of Vernon.

scalerman
02-20-2015, 05:16 AM
I lived in Grand Forks for 15 years and Creston for 10.I owned my own business that was shut down overnight by the stroke of a pen by some legislator in Victoria. One thing you need to remember about BC is that it is a great place to live but a very difficult place to make a living. The views and the lifestyle are awesome but being able to support that lifestyle is much more difficult. Real Estate is overpriced and jobs are hard to come by. If you are going out there independently wealthy with all of your retirement money in place then you will love it. If not you may want to reconsider. I am not trying to rain on anybody's parade here and maybe my experiences in BC are not the norm. Just sayin'

man of steel
02-21-2015, 08:24 AM
I would second Scaleman's comments. You do not get as many well paying job opportunities here as other places.

Mac. As far as the people, I don't think they are any different than anywhere else. A newcomer's attitude usually dictates how they are treated and accepted here it seems. Hunting and fishing are very good. Economy is up and down. Main employers are the Teck smelter in Trail, Celgar Pulpmill in Castlegar, and Interfor Sawmill in Castlegar. If you have a trade you should be able to find employment here but you will not make the money you make in Alberta. Many people travel for work. Real estate is high, I believe, but probably less than Albertans are used to.

Selkirk
02-22-2015, 12:01 PM
I've been there twice in the last five years, camping in the Nelson/Castlegar area, and have a very positive opinion of place, so just your general thoughts on the area. Whatever you'd like to comment on (e.g. the people / climate / hunting / fishing / economy / newcomer acceptance / main employers / real estate market / etc.) ... your choice :) . . .

. . . Mac. As far as the people, I don't think they are any different than anywhere else. A newcomer's attitude usually dictates how they are treated and accepted here it seems. Hunting and fishing are very good. Economy is up and down. Main employers are the Teck smelter in Trail, Celgar Pulpmill in Castlegar, and Interfor Sawmill in Castlegar. If you have a trade you should be able to find employment here but you will not make the money you make in Alberta. Many people travel for work. Real estate is high, I believe, but probably less than Albertans are used to.

Thanks for the comeback ^, Mr. Steel ... much appreciated!

That's pretty much what I expected, but it's always good to hear it from a long-time resident. The Nelson/Castlegar area is on our 'short list' of places to move to, so we'll probably take another trip out there this summer to look the place over again. If we do, I'll send you a PM ... maybe we can meet up!

Thanks again, and Cheers!

Mac

Mountain Guy
02-22-2015, 03:15 PM
Just back from an ice fishing trip in BC. Talking with a local who tells me the hunting has gone way downhill, especially moose hunting.
Something to think about.
I was planning on retiring to BC as well but will have to really think about it based on hunting opportunities.
Still like my moose and w.t. hunting that not sure can be duplicated in BC.

Not saying his word is gospel but made me think.

elkdump
02-22-2015, 03:22 PM
I really like Vernon....wife and I are putting it on the top of our list for somewhere to move to one day. Great Lakes that are all within a few min of Vernon.

I thought the Great Lakes we're close to Toronto, Hamilton, London Ontario :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:sign0161:

rugatika
02-22-2015, 03:35 PM
We rented a chalet in Silverstar several years ago, just outside of Vernon. I think it was around april. Skiing in the morning and golfing in the afternoon. I always thought it was a great town, although it's been several years since I was there last.

How far inland will the tsunami come when Vancouver falls into the ocean? :)

elkdump
02-22-2015, 03:39 PM
We rented a chalet in Silverstar several years ago, just outside of Vernon. I think it was around april. Skiing in the morning and golfing in the afternoon. I always thought it was a great town, although it's been several years since I was there last.

How far inland will the tsunami come when Vancouver falls into the ocean? :)

As far as Calgary , no kidding

winged1
02-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Looks like the wife and I will spend a few days in/around Vernon next week. Chat with the perspective employer and take in some sites.

We've spent some time in the Creston/Crawford Bay area, as the inlaws lived in Riondel for some time. We always joked how the 'for sale' signs were put up over the older ones that had fallen down.

If the moneys not there, we'll probably get serious about Vic.

HalfBreed
02-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Just remember that Vic is on an island. Many people go there and feel a bit isolated, or think it's too rainy/ grey, those are most of the complaints I always heard. I don't see a bridge ever going in there and the ferries aren't getting any cheaper. Great surfing though and year round cycling.