PDA

View Full Version : Question about responding to thread/post

waterninja
02-16-2015, 06:46 PM
Every once in awhile I will see someone reply to a post or thread, and they "quote" 1 or 2 sentences that they would like to respond to.
How do you do that?

Lefty-Canuck
02-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Every once in awhile I will see someone reply to a post or thread, and they "quote" 1 or 2 sentences that they would like to respond to.
How do you do that?

How do you do that?

Quote them and delete the bits that you don't want to have.

LC

lone wolf
02-16-2015, 06:52 PM
How do you do that?

Hit the Quote button, select the sentences/text to be highlighted then there is a Wrap [Quote] tags around selected text icon on the toolbar. Looks like Balloon callout icon and is located just to the right of the Insert Image icon

Dacotensis
02-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Just don't go changing the words in someones quote.
Especially pincherguys, he will flip out. :shark:

twofifty
02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
How do you do that?

The above is your quote, verbatim.
==================

What kind of idiot replies to a post or thread, and they "quote" 1 or 2 sentences that they would like to respond to.
How do you do that?

The above is your quote, heavily misquoted but still looks like your words.
This is bad manners and dishonest. ;)
==================

How do you do that?

The above is how I might quote your last sentence, if that was all that I wanted to reply to. With huge posts this saves space/bandwidth on AO's server.

I added some ....
in fairness to show that you are being incompletely quoted.

This acknowledges that the short quote is taken out of context, and gives other members a reminder that you actually wrote more. They can always scroll up to read your full post, or click on the purple arrow thingy at the end of your name which takes them back there.
=================

I could also quote you this way, with a simple cut & paste, then italicized to catch the eye and help differentiate your words from mine:

Quoting waterninja: "How do you do that?"

Skybuster
02-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Excellent question and some excellent answers. Hopefully those that quote huge, picture laden posts can benefit and edit the "quote" just keeping the pertinent parts.

DiabeticKripple
02-17-2015, 10:02 AM
I hate when a guy quotes a post that has lots of pics in it. Delete the pics!!!!

waterninja
02-17-2015, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys. I think i'll practise a bit. I agree that re-posting a long thread, or one with a lot of pics. can be frustrating to other members reading same thread.
I never thought about changing someone elses thread the way Two Fifty changed mine. That should be a suspendable or banning offense. But it sure could be fun.

coreya3212
02-17-2015, 10:09 AM
It drives me nuts when the original post is a question or whatever, doesn't matter really , and the first response quotes the OP...of course we know what you are responding to... its the only post to respond to... it makes no sense.

Selkirk
02-17-2015, 10:36 AM
chang pincherguys quote, and watch him flip out. :angry3:

You mean like that ^ :D

Mac ;)