PDA

View Full Version : Tobin Lake flats?

SKSniper
02-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Hey guys, me and a buddy are planning a trip to Tobin Lake next month, could someone tell me where these "flats" are I keep hearing of, I don't expect gps coordinates of your fishing hole but just a general idea of how to get to the flats.
Thanks!

cube
02-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Hey guys, me and a buddy are planning a trip to Tobin Lake next month, could someone tell me where these "flats" are I keep hearing of, I don't expect gps coordinates of your fishing hole but just a general idea of how to get to the flats.
Thanks!

They are in the south east corner of the lake. Look up an older (2 years I think) Fish'n Canada show, they were fishing the flats in the fall and give GPS cooridinates to their spot.

Also the people of Nipawin are very friendly and they will tell you as well.

There is a map posted on-line that will give all the basic spots on the lake as well. Every thing east/south east of Walls flats is the flats

http://www.nipawin.com/documents/fishing/tobinlakemap.pdf

Good Luck to you.

niwrek
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
If it is where I fished, there are out from the lodge. The fella that runs the lodge plows a trail to them.

Habfan
02-17-2015, 08:47 PM
If it is where I fished, there are out from the lodge. The fella that runs the lodge plows a trail to them.

That's what I thought as well ! Ask around and people will tell you where the fish are at, if not on the flats !! Also go snooping around the Kingfisher Inn, in Nipawin they are are very helpful !!

niwrek
02-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Is there alot of snow??? Hard lake to get around on, unless you take a sled. Great Lake though,lots of fsh. I dont think you will be dissapointed

saskpikeman
02-17-2015, 08:56 PM
A grid road runs eastward onto the west side of Petaigan bay/flats. This is the main access where there is often a plowed road that goes a few miles out onto the flats.

Talking moose
02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Talking moose just bought some lots about 25 mins from Tobin... Getting them serviced this year and a cabin/home the year after. Will be fishing Tobin/nipawin/codette alot in the near future. Let us know how you make out. Was in Nipawin over Xmas and yes, very friendly and helpful locals.

Esox
02-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Codette is a big fish sleeper that will be equal if not better than tobin in a few years. The eyes and pike are getting bigger and bigger in Codette every year. Lots of locals are now fishing codette more and more because of the less pressure and ever growing trophy fish.

RavYak
02-17-2015, 09:20 PM
I believe they have lots of snow out that way, at least they do south of there.

SKSniper
02-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys! The guy I'm going with has a couple sleds so we will have no problem getting around.
Very helpful map Cube, thank you, and talking moose, sksniper will trade fishing report for permission to camp in future on your lot :D

Talking moose
02-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys! The guy I'm going with has a couple sleds so we will have no problem getting around.
Very helpful map Cube, thank you, and talking moose, sksniper will trade fishing report for permission to camp in future on your lot :D

Deal!

bobalong
02-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Talking moose just bought some lots about 25 mins from Tobin... Getting them serviced this year and a cabin/home the year after. Will be fishing Tobin/nipawin/codette alot in the near future. Let us know how you make out. Was in Nipawin over Xmas and yes, very friendly and helpful locals.

In White Fox, my buddy has a few lots there.

Remi3006
02-18-2015, 03:44 PM
Let me know how you make out for info, I have fished Tobin quite abit over the last 5 years and would be happy to help you out. I don't think it will be all that hard to find certain "hot spots" as im sure there will be plenty of shacks/trucks out. The Flats should be special in the next few weeks as the big hens should be getting ready to stage for spawn soon. Don't get stuck fishing the Flats if it is not producing, straight out is an are called "Elk Island" also very good for BIG Pike! VERY jealous!! Tobin is certainly a lake I believe bigger is better!

Good Luck and post pics!!

cube
02-18-2015, 03:44 PM

Pretty sure the big point that juts out from the Tobin Lake Village Resort is not the "flats". It is a good place to fish though when not fished out.

cube
02-18-2015, 03:50 PM
Thanks!

here's another map that should give you a good idea of where the flats are.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=53.229468,-104.447193&msa=0&spn=0.036428,0.104628&mid=zXUQQMn20fs8.kDNeMb_x5q5A

Of course there will not be a giant red line with markers though :)

Remi3006
02-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Pretty sure the big point that juts out from the Tobin Lake Village Resort is not the "flats". It is a good place to fish though when not fished out.

^^^ Correct! The flats are in the lake, this point is in the river system. You're a long ways from the "Flats" at this point!

Straight east down the river from the point you are talking about is an area called the "Humps" this is where the priest caught the record a few years back.

Both areas are fairly close together if one area isn't producing.

SKSniper
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Wow, thanks a lot fellas, I really do appreciate the info and help, I will be sure to post up pics when I get back (if I decide to come back that is) :).