PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes 14 Pound Lake Trout

petersenp
02-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I was in Spray Lakes this weekend and caught a huge lake trout ive never seen one this big come out of there, it was insane! They are down there and there are some monsters!

TippyCanoe
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
That's awesome!! Congrats.

huntsfurfish
02-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Wow thats a bigun.
Well done! :):sHa_shakeshout:

Macdrizzle
02-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Mother of God... They do exist!

DiabeticKripple
02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
There has to be some more in there. It'd be neat to do a dive there and see what's down there.

The Fisherman Guy
02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Great looking Laker, congrats on a definite Spray Lakes prize!

cube
02-17-2015, 11:21 AM
I was in Spray Lakes this weekend and caught a huge lake trout ive never seen one this big come out of there, it was insane! They are down there and there are some monsters!

Congrats, that's a fantastic laker for there. It's kind of like a double win, great fish and great scenery.

jwab
02-17-2015, 12:59 PM
Now I've really got to get out there. That's nice.

Kawibunga
02-17-2015, 01:02 PM
It's the Unicorn!! I never thought the existed. Only ever caught the little guys. Guess I'll keep trying :) Congrats on the lunker!

Was out there yesterday with the wife and 3 kids to try my luck at white fish. (first time ever trying for whites) Got skunked but it was the nicest day I've ever had out there. Not a breath of wind, blue sky and -4 or so. Awesome day.....

burbotman
02-17-2015, 01:59 PM
It's the Unicorn!! I never thought the existed. Only ever caught the little guys. Guess I'll keep trying :) Congrats on the lunker!

Was out there yesterday with the wife and 3 kids to try my luck at white fish. (first time ever trying for whites) Got skunked but it was the nicest day I've ever had out there. Not a breath of wind, blue sky and -4 or so. Awesome day.....

That is a unicorn/Sasquatch and Loch Ness all in one. Great catch, think of the odds. I have only heard of 4 other "large" lakers coming out of there

Hunter Trav
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Beats my best from there by double, congrats on an awesome fish!!! :cool:

spinN'flyfish
02-17-2015, 05:27 PM
Awesome! How thick's the ice?

michaelmicallef
02-17-2015, 07:53 PM
Nice to see there are some nice ones in there. Three of us caught are limit and would say the fish seem bigger on average than they have been in years past. Nice fish!

petersenp
02-18-2015, 07:39 AM
the ice was about 2 feet thick maybe a bit more

EZM
02-18-2015, 08:12 AM
That's the biggest laker I've ever seen out of spray. Very nice fish. Well done.

Looks much bigger than the 18 lb laker on the "other" spray lakes thread.

I don't think I've ever seen anything over 5-6 lbs come out of there. Nice.

petersenp
02-19-2015, 11:46 AM
ya im sure mine is bigger, then i saw that he threw it back! lol i dont beleive that was 18 pounds, just glad i kept mine very very tasty

burbotman
02-19-2015, 12:29 PM
ya im sure mine is bigger, then i saw that he threw it back! lol i dont beleive that was 18 pounds, just glad i kept mine very very tasty

Disagree

Kyle
02-19-2015, 12:32 PM

Well we know the lake trout you ate won't be getting any bigger. It would be nice to see a slot size implemented on Spray, maybe a few of the bigger ones could keep their genetics in the lake.

whitetail Junkie
02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Congrats on the big trout.....!

Carson13
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
As big as he/she is I'm sure there's lots of his/her genetics in the lake.. congrats on a great fish and good meal!!

petersenp
02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
ya im all for throwing them back as well but when you catch something that big you tell me if you can let it go, i sure as hell couldnt! I literally could not do it lol i felt like a kid again

Bowhntr4life
02-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Awesome fish! Congrats!

crf250xtom
02-19-2015, 04:16 PM
ya im all for throwing them back as well but when you catch something that big you tell me if you can let it go, i sure as hell couldnt! I literally could not do it lol i felt like a kid again

This doesn't even make sense. You want to keep the big ones in the lake to reproduce and eat smaller ones. This is what's wrong with alberta. Such a rare fish for that lake and now it's toast what a shame.

And to answer your question yes I would put it back without question it's almost like stealing keeping that specimen.

crf250xtom
02-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Disagree

X2

flyguyd
02-19-2015, 04:26 PM
This doesn't even make sense. You want to keep the big ones in the lake to reproduce and eat smaller ones. This is what's wrong with alberta. Such a rare fish for that lake and now it's toast what a shame.

And to answer your question yes I would put it back without question it's almost like stealing keeping that specimen.

And you wonder why hardly anyone posts a pic :thinking-006:
If he was well within his legal right to keep one ;the problem is what exactly:snapoutofit:

My momma always said , if you dont have anything nice to say ,you should probly just keep your mouth shut.

flyguyd
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Congrats on the great laker Peter

crf250xtom
02-19-2015, 04:38 PM
If he was well within his legal right to keep one ;the problem is what exactly:snapoutofit:

My momma always said , if you dont have anything nice to say ,you should probly just keep your mouth shut.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical also I never said anything rude just informing him that his decision wasn't the right one i mean he ate it and it wasn't for mounting purposes literally just ate the so he could say he did if you ask me that Is a huge waste of our resources. The best part is when there are no big lake trout to be found he will be the first to comment complaining about the province fisheries forgetting his previous decisions to keep big breeders. He used his legal right to keep the said fish and I just used mine to state that it was a mistake next time just take pictures like he did and let him go keep smaller ones that haven't been growing and surviving for decades in that lake. But hey who am I to try and get someone to realise the potential error of there ways. I'm not condemning him for it either just saying that hopefully next time some of this will be in the back of his mind when he is looking at the fish in his hands.

Jamie Black R/T
02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Just because it's legal............................................. .................................................. .........................in his hands.

I hear what you are saying. But your issue is with SRD, not Petersenp

burbotman
02-19-2015, 05:13 PM

My disagree was not so much with him keeping the fish, rather his post putting down the other op with the 18lb fish.

The "my fish is bigger than yours"was not needed and came across poorly.

flyguyd
02-19-2015, 06:34 PM
My disagree was not so much with him keeping the fish, rather his post putting down the other op with the 18lb fish.

The "my fish is bigger than yours"was not needed and came across poorly.

I agree with you :)

Kanonfodder
02-19-2015, 06:48 PM

This ^^^^. We want people to share pics and adventures being a jerk isn't tolerated