PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Renewal (PAL) - Going on 90 days

Mossyoak
02-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Wanted to drop a note on the renewal process for the firearms licenses (PAL).

Not sure any of you guys have applied lately but I'm up to 90 days waiting for mine.....

Called in today and reminded them that its suppose to take a maximum of 45 days assuming no errors. They verified no errors and they blamed the delay on processing issues...

Kind've annoying, and I am getting close to my expiry date

Twisted Canuck
02-17-2015, 04:50 PM
I just picked mine up in the mail today (RPAL), took just under 45 days all in, only hold up was faxing them my shooting club membership, then approved 4 days later....but if you are up for renewal, don't diddle about, get it done. Keep us posted on how yours goes....

James Henry
02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
That's good to know, mine expires in June. I will have to get on that ASAP, thanks.
JH

edmhunter
02-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Me too, and I will say something, if they don't renew my PAL , the you know what is going to hit the fan HARD! :bad_boys_20:

vcmm
02-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Did my pal just before Christmas. Had it back in a month.

edmhunter
02-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Did my pal just before Christmas. Had it back in a month.

Who did you bribe? Just kidding lol :bad_boys_20:

StandsAlone
02-17-2015, 05:28 PM
4 weeks for mine

redcoat01
02-17-2015, 06:57 PM
I did my PAL (restricted/12(6) licence renewal Online through the RCMP CFC site. Uploaded photograph , paid with VISA . Received it in 42 days. I thought it was great considering that included the Christmas Vacation Period. I was impressed with the seamless process.

Twisted Canuck
02-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I forgot to mention I did mine online too, was very smooth process, and was nice to keep track of the approval process too.

jmc
02-17-2015, 08:12 PM
For the guys who have done theirs online, how long before the expiration of your PAL could you apply?

schmedlap
02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
I sent in my renewal (which includes a grandfathered "restricted and prohibited" item) before Xmas (old one expiring in April), and, much to my surprise, got it all back approved in less than a month. The time before it was over one year, and after several "less than polite" prompts. I told my friends and family "there must be something wrong" with this level of efficiency (?). Maybe it is just having a lot of excess underworked employees in Miramichi, now that the general registry is gone (?). I have to suspect, if you are waiting that long, that either they "lost" it (which they are quite prone to do), or there is some issue that they have not informed you of. I would be inclined to follow up with some correspondence or phone calls (??).

Duramaximos
02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Mine expires this June too. I understand they should be sending me a renewal letter in the mail. Is there any way to submit the renewal before receiving the letter?

shr970
02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Did mine online got it back in 4 weeks very fast was expecting longer. Did any of you guys get a slip of paper to have to keep with your license a conditions paper? That has no conditions lol called it in they said it's something new? Any one receive this?

crosman177
02-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Mine expires end of June. I sent mine in last Friday for renewal online just for regular non restricted. Super simple process and easy to upload digital picture. My credit card has been invoiced. Hoping for a fast turn around!!!!

Icefisher2885
02-17-2015, 10:00 PM
I did mine online and had my new card 8 days from when I submitted the renewal. I highly recommend everyone go the online route for faster service. This was in October.

kennedy
02-17-2015, 10:01 PM
I never understood why it takes them so long. On the other hand, i applied for a passport renewal on Feb 12 and got it Feb 17. looks like it took them 1 day to get it done since i cant see them working saturday, sunday and monday(family day). Not sure why the PAL takes so long.

justsomeguy
02-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Mine is not up until Nov, but will renew in spring just incase PET II is running the show come Fall.

Bushmaster
02-17-2015, 11:02 PM
You're not gonna believe this then....applied for my renewal online before Xmas and it was in my hand in TEN days!

Matt L.
02-17-2015, 11:10 PM
I never understood why it takes them so long. On the other hand, i applied for a passport renewal on Feb 12 and got it Feb 17. looks like it took them 1 day to get it done since i cant see them working saturday, sunday and monday(family day). Not sure why the PAL takes so long.

Because guns.

(Best reason I can think of.)

Nicevenn
02-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Did mine online got it back in 4 weeks very fast was expecting longer. Did any of you guys get a slip of paper to have to keep with your license a conditions paper? That has no conditions lol called it in they said it's something new? Any one receive this?

Yes I received this too, no conditions but says you have to keep it with your PAL and produce it if asked. Not too handy. Darn little pieces of paper! Looks like an afterthought. Don't know why it's just not printed on the PAL. Maybe came out after cards done? Oh well. Mine took almost three months to arrive too.

brendan's dad
02-18-2015, 06:49 AM

250000 PAL holders in Alberta. Full staff at the CFO's office is 5 firearms officers. That is 50000 renewals a year. 10000 renewals per officer. 5 renewals per hour for every hour worked and renewal are not their only duties. They also have to do new applications, suspensions, and business reviews. This why when you call to complain they ask you to contact your MP because with enough complaints they might just get an increase in staff.

edmhunter
02-18-2015, 06:58 AM
As I posted earlier I am still waiting for mine. Mine had expired, maybe that is why I am waiting so long.

I was unaware that it had expired until I went to buy some shells for the rifle season. Word of advice, whatever you do do not let your PAL expire because if it does it's a pain in the butt and you have to re-apply like you never had one before! To include listing all the women in your life plus sponsors that will be called (???) although no one that I listed has to date over two months later.

Janitor Pants
02-18-2015, 09:33 AM
Reading through this thread it seems like online is the way to go. I had mine in 14 days, and that was with me having to send in a letter midway stating the purpose of my Restricted firearms.

I even took my own picture as I was struggling to find time to get into town. I never would have though that would have worked.

brendan's dad
02-18-2015, 09:48 AM
As I understand it, online is very quick as New Brunswich is able sign off on the PAL without it being forwards to the local CFO if there have been no police or medical issues since your last renewal. New Brunswich is basically "over staffed" since the death of the LGR, so they have no problem staying on top of the paper work.

fishingnut
02-18-2015, 10:09 AM
What is the website for the renewal? Want to make sure I am going to the right place.

Janitor Pants
02-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Here you go: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/firearms-licence-permis-armes-a-feu-eng.htm
(http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/online_en-ligne/firearms-licence-permis-armes-a-feu-eng.htm)
You will have to set up an account with some security details first, but it's pretty quick and easy.

WhistlePig
02-18-2015, 10:56 AM
I just picked mine up in the mail today (RPAL), took just under 45 days all in, only hold up was faxing them my shooting club membership, then approved 4 days later....but if you are up for renewal, don't diddle about, get it done. Keep us posted on how yours goes....

Same thing happened to me. I applied early and never heard back from them. Decided to call them a couple weeks before my expiration date and they told me they were waiting on my range membership. I faxed it in and it was approved right away. Then a few days later I got the letter saying they were waiting on a copy of my range membership.

I've heard the same thing from a couple friends.

jcrayford
02-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Mine was set to expire on my next birthday. I got the renewal notice in the mail, next day a co-worker snapped a "passport" photo with my iPhone, emailed that to myself, cropped it to the right size and did the online renewal method submitting my photo. Paid with CC and within 2 weeks, the new PAL card (not RPAL) was in my hot little hands....

Pretty efficient actually - didn't think the turn around was going to be so fast.

J.

Hoopi
02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Hi; My renewal came last year in February; I sent it back within a week of receiving it. I received mine 1 month after my birthday in June.

Hoopi

ladyjig
02-22-2015, 09:41 PM
I hear ya.
Renewal is end of April. Still waiting for my range to issue receipt or access card for proof of membership. Wow, membership was paid beginning of October. That is all that is missing for my licence renewal....yes make sure everything is in order. Nasty the wait time, Hey?

marxman
02-23-2015, 04:59 AM
I have renewed with no problem the last 2 times my renewal application came in the mail i thought too close to my expiry but then it went through quickly. Has yours expired? If not maybe you applied too early and they are sitting on it i think mine came in with like 2 weeks to go

Hunt4Ever
02-23-2015, 08:01 AM
250000 PAL holders in Alberta. Full staff at the CFO's office is 5 firearms officers. That is 50000 renewals a year. 10000 renewals per officer. 5 renewals per hour for every hour worked and renewal are not their only duties. They also have to do new applications, suspensions, and business reviews. This why when you call to complain they ask you to contact your MP because with enough complaints they might just get an increase in staff.

Yes definitely contact your local MP to get the ball rolling faster!

edmutv
02-23-2015, 12:08 PM
For the guys who have done theirs online, how long before the expiration of your PAL could you apply?

I had heard nothing but horor stories so I did mine roughly 11 months early. Took no time at all like 29 days (online)

fish_e_o
02-23-2015, 12:11 PM
doing mine today 4 months early

WCTHEMI
02-23-2015, 12:41 PM

PAL/RPAL applications get sent to Miramichi New Brunswick for processing. The provincial CFO's deal with ATT's and transfers of restricted guns. Probably some other duties as well. To the OP, I would give the CFC a call and inquire as to what the hold-up may be.

Battery
02-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Renewed mine online in December, took 5 days and it was in my mailbox lol

dmac
02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Here is my story. I applied a couple of months prior to mine expiring. Four months later, still no PAL. I called them, no issues with the application. I thought I heard an oops on the other end of the line. I guess someone messed up and did not trigger the mail out. PAL arrived the following week.

mikhughe
02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
I try to stay on top of things. So instead of waiting for my expiry to come up at the end of the year I just renew everything at first of the year in case stuff like this happens, I've read a few posts about PAL's taking a long time to come back I just renewed mine, (non-restricted) and about 6 business days after I dripped it in the mail slot I seen the charge to my credit card from the CFO. It was around 8 more business days after that when it arrived int he mail. I was impressed at how quick it showed up. I'm surprised to hear a story like yours.

brendan's dad
02-23-2015, 04:37 PM
PAL/RPAL applications get sent to Miramichi New Brunswick for processing. The provincial CFO's deal with ATT's and transfers of restricted guns. Probably some other duties as well. To the OP, I would give the CFC a call and inquire as to what the hold-up may be.

Yes the application are sent to NB, but the local CFO for each province does the final approval and sign off's for all PAl/RPAL's. The hold up almost always occurs at the local CFO. Alberta has now contracted the employees in NB to do some of their work load to reduce wait times. Also NB can now sign off on the new online renewals for the Provinces if there are no new "issues" since the last renewal. This is why folks are seeing renewal completed within a couple weeks as opposed to 3-4 months.

To the OP, you can call the 1-800-731-4000 number to enquire about the hold up, but ask to be transferred to the Alberta CFO because if you have been waiting that long, that is where your file will be.

WCTHEMI
02-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Yes the application are sent to NB, but the local CFO for each province does the final approval and sign off's for all PAl/RPAL's. The hold up almost always occurs at the local CFO. Alberta has now contracted the employees in NB to do some of their work load to reduce wait times. Also NB can now sign off on the new online renewals for the Provinces if there are no new "issues" since the last renewal. This is why folks are seeing renewal completed within a couple weeks as opposed to 3-4 months.

To the OP, you can call the 1-800-731-4000 number to enquire about the hold up, but ask to be transferred to the Alberta CFO because if you have been waiting that long, that is where your file will be.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing it up.

brendan's dad
02-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing it up.

No problem and great job on the quitting smoking. I quit 5 years ago after 20 years and it is no easy task.

Six point
06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
Did the old school method, took closer to 120 days. I received it 1 month after my birthday. For sure on line next time.