PDA

View Full Version : Farmer sausage ?

Fisherpeak
02-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Well,been playing with the new Bradley,pepperoni worked out great but I have made of few pounds od Farmer Sausage using the cure pack with the casing I had to soak but it looks like I stuffed them in plastic.No point to smoke it I think.It says you can so I will but...So,do I boil it to get 165 inside or put it in the oven?Or run the Bradley?I much prefere gut casings.Old school.

Mhunter51
02-17-2015, 05:57 PM
What size cassing did you use for the farmer sausage. When I do farmer sausage I use natural hog casings. You can get a smaller size pack that will do about 20 lbs from most butcher supply or meat shops that make sausage. If you used the collagen casings then you can smoke those very easily also.

expmler
02-17-2015, 05:59 PM
What kind of casing did you use.

omega50
02-17-2015, 06:28 PM
Well,been playing with the new Bradley,pepperoni worked out great but I have made of few pounds od Farmer Sausage using the cure pack with the casing I had to soak but it looks like I stuffed them in plastic.No point to smoke it I think.It says you can so I will but...So,do I boil it to get 165 inside or put it in the oven?Or run the Bradley?I much prefere gut casings.Old school.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but collagen casings are not designed to get wet.
If you try to poach them they will turn white, swell, split and soften and come off of the meat like a spent condom.
They are not soaked to place on the stuffing horn-Stuff and then hang or rack in the smoker-hot smoke til done in smoker-Generally small diameter collagen work best 18-24mmIf they are currently raw-I would split them and remove the casing-No good can come of trying to save the wet casing now.
Re-stuff or just make patties if you are out of casing-Use hog for Farmers Sausage

Fisherpeak
02-18-2015, 01:15 PM
These were some plastic looking things that said to soak for an hour,they are called fibrous casings.Original Wild West kit.I,ve never used them before.The pepperoni was great but,stupidly I stuffed the summer sausage before I cooked up a bit.WAY too salty.So I ground up another 8 pounds of deer and cut the casings open and remixed added some crushed fennel seed and fresh garlic .Nailed it.In the Bradley now.The cure said it does 20 lbs,I`m thinking more like 30+.Thanks guys.

expmler
02-18-2015, 03:27 PM
These were some plastic looking things that said to soak for an hour,they are called fibrous casings.Original Wild West kit.I,ve never used them before.The pepperoni was great but,stupidly I stuffed the summer sausage before I cooked up a bit.WAY too salty.So I ground up another 8 pounds of deer and cut the casings open and remixed added some crushed fennel seed and fresh garlic .Nailed it.In the Bradley now.The cure said it does 20 lbs,I`m thinking more like 30+.Thanks guys.

If the cure was in a separate package and said it was for 20 lbs and you made 28lbs of sausage it is severely under cured. There is a very high risk of botulism if that is what you did. There is no way I would risk eating it.

Fisherpeak
02-18-2015, 03:45 PM
I did about 10 lbs.used half the cure and seasoning.Way too salty to eat so I added more deer and more of the cure,but not the seasoning.It`s being cooked to 165 F internal temp so it will be just fine.I just checked it,it`s at 135 right now.I have a real good digital thermometer.

expmler
02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
I did about 10 lbs.used half the cure and seasoning.Way too salty to eat so I added more deer and more of the cure,but not the seasoning.It`s being cooked to 165 F internal temp so it will be just fine.I just checked it,it`s at 135 right now.I have a real good digital thermometer.

Thanks for clearing that up. Would like to see some pics.

I just finished smoking 25 lbs of lake trout.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/skhunter_photo/P10109031_zpsd6b1cf8d.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/skhunter_photo/media/P10109031_zpsd6b1cf8d.jpg.html)

Skybuster
02-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. Would like to see some pics.

I just finished smoking 25 lbs of lake trout.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/skhunter_photo/P10109031_zpsd6b1cf8d.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/user/skhunter_photo/media/P10109031_zpsd6b1cf8d.jpg.html)

Yummy