PDA

View Full Version : Keystone XL

Heyupduck
02-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Do you guys still think its a good move now the jobs market has taken a downturn?
Coffee producers get almost nothing for their product, all the profit is reaped in the markets where it is sold.
Can we afford to lose long term refining jobs, and profit?
Or should we send it away to be refined by foreign workers?

CanuckShooter
02-17-2015, 05:58 PM
They will just bring the cheap labour here....so what's the difference? It's all about bringing labour to their knees, and we all know that unions don't serve any purpose these days other than collecting your dues. :thinking-006:

THEREAPER
02-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Canaport imports over 100 million barrels of crude per year to be refined. Keystone will be a good thing for Alberta. Id rather see energy east go, send the crude out east and refine it in canada. May not create a ton of jobs but it will keep the oil production up in Alberta. Just my two cents!!

wally338
02-17-2015, 06:30 PM
They will just bring the cheap labour here....so what's the difference? It's all about bringing labour to their knees, and we all know that unions don't serve any purpose these days other than collecting your dues. :thinking-006:

There is a huge difference between bringing organized labour to it's knee's and bringing the working man to his knees. Yes I agree unions have well out lived there " best before date "

I_forget
02-17-2015, 06:34 PM
Unions are the only group fighting to keep the jobs in alberta. Everyone else wants to export bitumen instead of upgrade it here. Keystone XL is a temporary fix for alberta and Canada. Energy east will atleast provide long term jobs.

CanuckShooter
02-17-2015, 06:40 PM
There is a huge difference between bringing organized labour to it's knee's and bringing the working man to his knees. Yes I agree unions have well out lived there " best before date "

From the mouths of those that never had to fight for better working conditions. It never fails to amaze me that people actually think they get paid holidays, and decent wages because they work for a benevolent employer. :)

TBD
02-17-2015, 06:56 PM
From the mouths of those that never had to fight for better working conditions. It never fails to amaze me that people actually think they get paid holidays, and decent wages because they work for a benevolent employer. :)

Not some greedy politicized union.

" .... hey boys who are we voting for again ? .... Wha Liberal ?

.... I thought the NDP were / are our party ?? ":acigar:

wally338
02-17-2015, 07:01 PM

I don't get paid holidays nor will I ever get paid holidays. I get paid a fair wage because I work for my pay. ( no I do not get paid oilfield wages) but I still get paid my "mediocre " pay despite the downturn in the oilfield wages.

wally338
02-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Not some greedy politicized union.

" .... hey boys who are we voting for again ? .... Wha Liberal ?

.... I thought the NDP were / are our party ?? ":acigar:

Hey TBD how you doing? NDP ,LIBERAL, what you talking about? Lol

lake side
02-17-2015, 07:11 PM

Spoken like a true B.C'er.

I get payed for what I have worked HARD for an becuase I have educated myself. I do not require someone to negotiate my wage for me, invest my savings or what ever other value you think that they may bring.

Yes they are all saints...that's my the mob never wanted to be invovled with them :scared0018:

L.S.

TBD
02-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Hey TBD how you doing? NDP ,LIBERAL, what you talking about? Lol

haven't you heard Wally ?

the liberals are going to take Canada Pension Funds - and hire the unions to rebuild Canada's infrastructure - yeh their the new union party, Mulcair's OUT !

schmedlap
02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Spoken like a true B.C'er.

I get payed for what I have worked HARD for an becuase I have educated myself. I do not require someone to negotiate my wage for me, invest my savings or what ever other value you think that they may bring.

Yes they are all saints...that's my the mob never wanted to be invovled with them :scared0018:

L.S.
The problem is not with the concept and implementation of unions. Yes, when they are actually and realistically focussed on the best interests of their members, they are beneficial, and the general movement accomplished so much in bettering the labor environment in favor of the members. The problem, of course, is when they become "big enough" to just be servants of their corrupt leadership's own bureaucratic pocket-lining, and narrow political aims, and the "little people" they are supposed to represent get lost in the picture and are not being truly represented - Union careerism so often takes over from the mission the players started out to accomplish. Not much different from the "Ottawaisis" that seems to infect our politicians (?).
But all that is a "derail". The OP wants views on pipeline issues. I tend more and more to the view that it makes sense to keep the refining and processing in Canada, as a long term issue. I understand the short term economics of sending the crude to existing refineries or ports with capacity (Southern US, Alaska, BC, or NB for that matter), but, if indeed we have a huge long term resource in the oil sands, why are we in such a panic to deplete it quickly for very short term gain? The resource is not going anywhere, and is likely to appreciate in value, long term (?). Particularly when it is currently a "glut" product. Notwithstanding the economic "pain" of not doing so, would it not be better for our childrens' well-being to synchronize production of the base resource with the requisite refining and manufacturing close to the source? Maybe I am just being unrealistic and over-concerned with silly issues like the future world left to my offspring (?), and not concerned enough about the artificial "prosperity" generated by the current approach to such things (?).