PDA

View Full Version : Mars

HalfBreed
02-18-2015, 09:05 AM
I noticed no Albertans made the cut to 100.

I think it would be a very interesting journey, I'm guessing it's going to be much like a one way theatre activation team where these people will ultimately set up a self sustaining station not unlike what is used in CFS Alert at the top of the world. To be followed up by a larger team if it is found feasible.

I understand there is going to be a reality tv show to narrow out the final participants. It's difficult enough completing tasks in a known and established team, I hope these people are going to have at least 5 years to work together before launch day or it could end before they get past the moon. They are literally going to be stuck with each other until they die.

My first question is, how much air can be packaged together to sustain the flight as well as on the surface for an amount of time to begin an air mining operation? What about water? I know the rovers are sampling so I'd guess it must be feasible to draw the needed elements from the surface.

I don't surf the net enough to have seen the application process otherwise I'd have thrown my hat in the ring, not to say I'd have been a finalist, but I think that would be an incredible once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm wondering how many have families (wife and/ or kids) and how that is working now on the family dynamic.

I personally don't think 24 is enough to jumpstart a new civilization, it looks to me on the surface more of an ant colony grade school experiment. What about food? :character0110:

Anyone on here think they have 'the right stuff'?

The Cook
02-18-2015, 09:44 AM
I can think of a lot of less painful ways to end my life than a one way trip to mars with a bunch of wackos

Sooner
02-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Good on the ones who make the cut and will go knowing their never coming back. Can't imagine how hard it will be on the families to watch them leave. I guess it is no different then the early pioneers but they had a lot more options to survive. This group is a human lab experiment and i think it has a 1 in a million chance they make it even close to a year on mars before they are all done.

My grandpa who was born in the late 1800's, would not believe that a space ship took men to the moon he seen in the sky and that they were walking on the moon as he looked upon it. He could not be convinced even though he watched it on tv. He came from horse and buggy times, seen the early cars to a world he didn't recognize when he died in 75.

As far as the mission to Mars, i think it is awesome we are on there with rovers, we are farther out in space with probes and telescopes looking around so why not try and land on mars and see if it can be done. We seem to have the technology, the will and the lab rats lol. All in the name of exploration. Either way if it works or fails, it is going to be a where were you moment in history.

260 Rem
02-18-2015, 10:00 AM
Being a boomer, I have watched human exploration since pre-sound barrier times and although I am ever amazed by what humans can accomplish, I am never surprised. I only wish I had time left to see how we overcome the distances in the multiverse. Even taking only one step at a time, we can travel vast distances in a lifetime.

ATF
02-18-2015, 10:45 AM
I noticed no Albertans made the cut to 100.

Are you insinuating Alberta has lot's of it's space cadets? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Sundancefisher
02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
I can think of numerous politicians that would help heat the shelters when they get to Mars. Likely a successful crowd funding campaign can help with trip costs.

Just a thought.

ResidentSpokesman
02-18-2015, 01:36 PM
What in the world are you all talking about?

pikeslayer22
02-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Send each and every ISIS member there!

bb356
02-18-2015, 02:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjb75geCcMI

Fisherpeak
02-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Meh,some of the top 10 Canadians are 60+ years old right now.The mission is slated for 2024.Do the math.It`s just a joke.A base on the moon makes a lot more sense,a staging/training spot.And it only takes a couple days to get there,not 6 months.

xxclaro
02-18-2015, 04:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned it's a total joke right now. They can talk about feasability all they like, they are a loooooong way from being able to make this happen far as I can tell. First off, a vehicle to get them there alive and sane, a place to live that can sustain them when they get there, figure out how to grow food and produce oxygen etc...
I'm betting they are using this as a fundraiser for future projects, and if they actually do attempt this, it'll be a long time coming.

CanuckShooter
02-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Come on, it's suicide....the authorities would stop it in a second. Not to mention they don't want these people getting ownership to mars....:)