PDA

View Full Version : stuck in whitefish

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 02:28 PM
long story made very short. my 5 year old and i are stuck in whitefish MT.

our vehicle is back in Cochrane.

We need to get home, can anyone suggest the best way? i checked out flights to calgary and they are $1200+...
car rental doesn't seem to allow one way trips..
any cunning suggestions?
thanks

sillyak
02-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Greyhound?

HeavyD111
02-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Bus cross over border at all? Might take forever..

omega50
02-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Bus or train to nearest town with bus service to Cochrane.
Truck stop try to thumb a ride North
Gas station Northside of town looking for anyone with Alberta plates heading home

Bound2Fish
02-18-2015, 02:33 PM
Uhaul. They allow one way trips.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 02:34 PM
greyhound is almost 3 days. i guess it goes a very round about way...

Sneeze
02-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Call Airport Shuttle Express. I know in the summer there are things going back and forth from there and Calgary. There might be a winter package for skiers flying into Calgary.

oyster_777
02-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Post an ad on Craigslist or kijiji. Might find a ride that way?

wildwoods
02-18-2015, 03:02 PM
Look for Alberta plates.

bat119
02-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Take the Amtrack train to Havre bus from there?

BANG
02-18-2015, 03:24 PM
Take a look in the local classifieds to see if there is a beater you could buy to get u home?
Could be a hassel with cross boarder vehicle shopping ,insurance e.t.c
Someone on here would know im sure.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 03:35 PM
airport express is a no go, they don't have anything any time soon.

I've posted a craigslist ad.

problem i see with that is alberta folks are unlikely to be browsing free ads when on vacation.

seems like i can get the amtrak to shelby MT and then a bus to the border.

HyperMOA
02-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Uhaul. They allow one way trips.

Genius! Sheer genius. Did you check out this option?

Pudelpointer
02-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Crunchi, if you can get to the Coutts /Sweetgrass crossing by tomorrow morning, I could run you into Lethbridge. Latest I could pick you up would be 12-12:30.

Let me know if that might work and I'll PM you my info.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 04:00 PM
Genius! Sheer genius. Did you check out this option?

I did. But they only have the big huge trucks and it's not much cheaper than flying after gas costs.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Crunchi, if you can get to the Coutts /Sweetgrass crossing by tomorrow morning, I could run you into Lethbridge. Latest I could pick you up would be 12-12:30.

Let me know if that might work and I'll PM you my info.

Thank you for the kind offer. I'll see if I can figure something out. We got a hotel for the evening so hopefully we can use the power of wifi to fix the problem.

Pudelpointer
02-18-2015, 04:13 PM
Thank you for the kind offer. I'll see if I can figure something out. We got a hotel for the evening so hopefully we can use the power of wifi to fix the problem.

Alternately, if you could get to Cutbank or Browning by 11, it would be closer for all involved.

ATF
02-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Man I wish I was "stuck" in Whitefish. Of any places I've been stuck that would be the nicest. :) The U-haul to Lethbridge is really that much?

oyster_777
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
U haul from whitefish to Lethbridge is $243 I'm assuming US. What about u-ship.com?

There is an ad on ship for people... Who would have thought... Worth checking out.

wildwoods
02-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Man I wish I was "stuck" in Whitefish. Of any places I've been stuck that would be the nicest. :)
Yes I was thinkin the same thing. Preferably stuck with a snowboard.
Good luck crunchi

Cool Critter
02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Goto the Bulldog and have supper and a beer. They take Canadian and give Canadian change. Lots from Alberta, Saskatchewan go there. Visit with people and talk to the bar tender. You should be good to go by morning.

Or why not call a buddy to grab your car and come and get you! That's what friends are for. IMO

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately a 5 year old in tow makes that suggestion problematic. :)

Cool Critter
02-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Why kids are allowed in the pub until 9 or 10

thumper
02-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Call the Canadian embassy and demand that Harper gets you home!

Sorry buddy - hope it works out for you.

HyperMOA
02-18-2015, 07:33 PM
I did. But they only have the big huge trucks and it's not much cheaper than flying after gas costs.

If you use $2000 in fuel in a U-Haul from Whitefish to Cochrane, I am assuming you put the fuel in back and let it pour out onto the highway. :)

Jack Hardin
02-18-2015, 07:34 PM
This begs the question, how did your vehicle get back to Cochrane without you and your 5 year old in it?

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 07:40 PM
If you use $2000 in fuel in a U-Haul from Whitefish to Cochrane, I am assuming you put the fuel in back and let it pour out onto the highway. :)
$1200 cad for flights.
About $800 usd for u haul plus gas. At a 30% premium on exchange flying is likely cheaper.
This begs the question, how did your vehicle get back to Cochrane without you and your 5 year old in it?

We came on a family holiday. The family member who drove totally went crazy on everyone, I didn't want my 5 year old to see it, so we left the resort. Unfortunately we came in that persons car. I'd rather walk back than put my little one back into a poisonous environment like that. The other adults are just making them leave early and praying they calm down for the journey.

HyperMOA
02-18-2015, 08:36 PM
$1200 cad for flights.
About $800 usd for u haul plus gas. At a 30% premium on exchange flying is likely cheaper.

Sorry, I thought you meant it was $1200 each. Crappy situation, hope everything works out.

220swifty
02-18-2015, 10:30 PM
When do you need to get home by? My mother in law is coming to visit for a couple weeks on Friday. I might want to 'go for a drive' on Saturday.

vcmm
02-18-2015, 10:31 PM
Incoming PM

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 10:36 PM
When do you need to get home by?

ideally tomorrow or friday. I'm paying for a hotel tonight but not exactly enjoying our vacation (on top of the resort condo we already paid for and are now not in). we were scheduled to head home friday, but right now ill settle for just getting home without spending a fortune.
situation is made a bit worse by luggage, both have a couple of bags plus ski gear and snowshoes.
little one wonders what the hell is going on too, which sucks as it's ruined her vacation.

twofifty
02-18-2015, 10:56 PM
She's with her papa and will have a lifetime story of the adventure she and her pop had together!

Tactical Lever
02-18-2015, 10:56 PM
I would second the motion to buy a beater. Turn it into an adventure. Hitched a couple times when I was young. A little too much adventure sometimes, especially with a 5 yr. old.

Phone up the insurance company, they should be able to fax you a slip and a little advice.

When you get back from your adventure, sell the car/truck. I you do it right you will probably ride back for free, and make a neat memory for the little one.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
I would second the motion to buy a beater. Turn it into an adventure. Hitched a couple times when I was young. A little too much adventure sometimes, especially with a 5 yr. old.

Phone up the insurance company, they should be able to fax you a slip and a little advice.

When you get back from your adventure, sell the car/truck. I you do it right you will probably ride back for free, and make a neat memory for the little one.

crossing the border with an imported vehicle requires 72 hours notice minimum. plus i don't have enough cash with me to do something like that.

good idea in principle though.

twofifty
02-18-2015, 11:01 PM
She's with her papa and will have a lifetime story of the adventure she and her pop had together!

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 11:02 PM

i hope so. it breaks my heart when anything upsets her, hence why we had to walk away today.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-18-2015, 11:28 PM
I've done many a 3 day trip on a greyhound bus and although not the ideal way to do things it is getting it done. This may be your cheapest alternative. These kind of trips can be interesting but as long as everyone has something to occupy themselves its not the worse thing you can be doing...even with a 5yr old.

Good luck to you

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 11:30 PM
I've done many a 3 day trip on a greyhound bus and although not the ideal way to do things it is getting it done. This may be your cheapest alternative. These kind of trips can be interesting but as long as everyone has something to occupy themselves its not the worse thing you can be doing...even with a 5yr old.

the biggest problem is 14 hour layovers, starting in the middle of the night.

i think I'm going to get a taxi to the border and then hopefully figure something out from there.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-18-2015, 11:41 PM
the biggest problem is 14 hour layovers, starting in the middle of the night.

i think I'm going to get a taxi to the border and then hopefully figure something out from there.

I looked up the trip on Greyhound .com myself and going from where you are to Calgary is 2 days and 6 hours with the longest layover being 45 minutes.
These are usually meal stops and driver exchanges.
Would this not work for you?

Tactical Lever
02-18-2015, 11:49 PM
crossing the border with an imported vehicle requires 72 hours notice minimum. plus i don't have enough cash with me to do something like that.

good idea in principle though.

How much cash can you access? It's only about a 500 km trip. At the border, you could probably do it. Might be able to pick a runnable car for about $600.

I used to know someone that got paid to deliver cars to dealerships.... Probably not much use in a situation like yours.

Or talk to a cabbie, and see how much he would/could cut his rate for a straight highway run. Might be a little cheaper and quicker than the dreaded bus, or the airport debacle.

I liked the U-haul suggestion, found them pretty reasonable to move a few hundred kms. Rented a 20' foot cube or some such thing to move a few things from Edmonton to Fox, and it was not bad on fuel, and I thing it was probably about a couple hundred to rent?

You seemed to indicate a much higher number?

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 11:52 PM
I looked up the trip on Greyhound .com myself and going from where you are to Calgary is 2 days and 6 hours with the longest layover being 45 minutes.
These are usually meal stops and driver exchanges.
Would this not work for you?

you're missing the transfers. the first one is still in montana and is a 12 1/2 hour overnighter.

crunchiespg
02-18-2015, 11:57 PM
How much cash can you access? It's only about a 500 km trip. At the border, you could probably do it. Might be able to pick a runnable car for about $600.

I used to know someone that got paid to deliver cars to dealerships.... Probably not much use in a situation like yours.

Or talk to a cabbie, and see how much he would/could cut his rate for a straight highway run. Might be a little cheaper and quicker than the dreaded bus, or the airport debacle.

I liked the U-haul suggestion, found them pretty reasonable to move a few hundred kms. Rented a 20' foot cube or some such thing to move a few things from Edmonton to Fox, and it was not bad on fuel, and I thing it was probably about a couple hundred to rent?

You seemed to indicate a much higher number?

i called u haul, and it was way up there for the mileage allowance, and they only had the bigger trucks available. all said it was $689 plus their fees, plus gas costs. and in US$, so add 30% for canadian conversion.
from previous uhaul rentals 7mpg was good going..

cash would be limited by atm withdrawals i guess. i only bring pocket change for US trips, visa for everything else. but the 72 hour delay at the border is the killer. for a vehicle. you have to fax the title, and then its a pain to get plates etc. I've done it before and its not a quick easy process.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-19-2015, 12:20 AM
you're missing the transfers. the first one is still in montana and is a 12 1/2 hour overnighter.

I looked again and yes your right my bad I looked in the wrong column I just looked in the lay overs column. I see what your talking about now.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Looks like it would be better going on Amtrak....Looks like 35 hours that way. and not much more for it over a bus.

Tactical Lever
02-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Given the choice between bus and train, I would take the train. Much more comfortable, better scenery, and room to walk around. A more interesting trip for a kid.

Immigrant
02-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Crunchie, I feel for you. To be in that situation with my 5 year old would be tough. Things will work out. Don't make hasty decisions. Do what is safe for your girl and you. I wish i could help but I am waaay to far from you.

Kim473
02-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Have you checked the car rental, Enterprize ?

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Have you checked the car rental, Enterprize ?

Yep. None of them allow the vehicle to be taken back into Canada. You have to return it to an office in the usa.

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Looks like it would be better going on Amtrak....Looks like 35 hours that way. and not much more for it over a bus.

But doesn't amtrak only go part of the way? I can't get back into Canada on it can I?

beaver hunter
02-19-2015, 07:30 AM
Sorry but this post it getting odd, what happened with the 3 or 4 offers you got from people?

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 07:41 AM
Sorry but this post it getting odd, what happened with the 3 or 4 offers you got from people?

Nothing. The one offer I've had I'm trying to make happen. But it requires I make it to a border town by lunch time today. Which is the difficult part.

Plus I'm balancing giving my little one a normal as time as possible. Which for her means she's still fast asleep.
Not sure where you saw 3 or 4. I've had lots of good suggestions giving me ideas to work with, for which I am grateful. Plus a few pm with some ideas.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-19-2015, 08:43 AM
I don't know much about Amtrak it seems you take the train to Seattle, transfer to Vancouver then transfer again to get to Calgary
But I could be mistaken
At this point I wouldn't count on the kindness of strangers I would do what I could to get home any means necessary
Even if it meant 12hr layovers because I had to take the bus.

Sooner
02-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Quite the story your little girl will write about at school on day. Hope you find your way home real quick.

Pudelpointer
02-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Any update CPG?

twofifty
02-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Tomorrow Amtrak leaves Whitefish for Havre at 7.45am, arriving after 1pm.
Fare for adult & child can run from under $100 to over $200.

The same train service was available today.

You can also get off at Cut Bank and elsewhere.

Kim473
02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
long story made very short. my 5 year old and i are stuck in whitefish MT.

our vehicle is back in Cochrane.

We need to get home, can anyone suggest the best way? i checked out flights to calgary and they are $1200+...
car rental doesn't seem to allow one way trips..
any cunning suggestions?
thanks

So how did you get there and your vehical at home ?

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Tomorrow Amtrak leaves Whitefish for Havre at 7.45am, arriving after 1pm.
Fare for adult & child can run from under $100 to over $200.

The same train service was available today.

You can also get off at Cut Bank and elsewhere.

Yep I saw that. But if I get off at shelby or havre what next? Greyhound basically has zero routes in the middle North of the usa.

I'm waiting for a taxi to get back to me to see if he's available to get me at least to the border. A few taxis have too many pre booked trips to fit me in today.

NEWB
02-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Don't you have any friends you can call that can help you out in a jam no questions asked?

There is a great documentary called Craigs list Joe. It covers accomidations and ride share. Since you are sittiing around waiting for the perfect ride.

Check out a ride share program for your smart phone. Even if you have to make a few swithces along the way you are on your way out.

Maybe there is Uber taxi where you are located.

Leeper
02-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Yep I saw that. But if I get off at shelby or havre what next? Greyhound basically has zero routes in the middle North of the usa.

I'm waiting for a taxi to get back to me to see if he's available to get me at least to the border. A few taxis have too many pre booked trips to fit me in today.

Tell you what, Stay where you are and I'll come get you. Take me about and hour and a half to get there. I pick you and your daughter up at the Sportsmans Ski Haus. Get back to me quickly and I'll leave in the next half hour. Leeper

bubba 96
02-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Tell you what, Stay where you are and I'll come get you. Take me about and hour and a half to get there. I pick you and your daughter up at the Sportsmans Ski Haus. Get back to me quickly and I'll leave in the next half hour. Leeper

Atta boy leeper, good karma coming your way..

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Pm sent!
:)
Thank you so much.

Pudelpointer
02-19-2015, 12:13 PM

:happy0034:

I knew you were a classy guy Leeper (no matter what some people say...)

JUST KIDDING! (about the second part)

Fisherpeak
02-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Leeper,Man Of The Year!:sHa_shakeshout:

Skybuster
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM

You, Sir, are amazing.

People like this are the ones that keep me optomistic about mankind. I can only hope you get as much goodness in return in your life Leeper.

vcmm
02-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Whoo Hooo:sHa_shakeshout::grouphugg:

Pixel Shooter
02-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Simply awesome!!!

kevinhits
02-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Just an after thought, but why not rent a vehicle through enterprise Etc...I have crossed the border with one..no issues..but does it have to come back to the original rental place...Just curious..

kevinhits
02-19-2015, 02:41 PM

that is great...You must live in the deep South to get to Whitefish in 1.5 hours:)

javlin101
02-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Just an after thought, but why not rent a vehicle through enterprise Etc...I have crossed the border with one..no issues..but does it have to come back to the original rental place...Just curious..

One way can cost up to a 1100.00 a day due to extra fees.

wildwoods
02-19-2015, 03:18 PM
That's classy leeper. Nice work.

Crunchi: I'm probably not the only guy wondering how the heck you got in your predicament. If it's private that's cool. Care to share? Sounds like quite the ride(pun intended)

tbiddy
02-19-2015, 03:24 PM
That's classy leeper. Nice work.

Crunchi: I'm probably not the only guy wondering how the heck you got in your predicament. If it's private that's cool. Care to share? Sounds like quite the ride(pun intended)

Post #27

wildwoods
02-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Post #27

Roger. Missed it

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Well guys I am eternally grateful to leeper. He got us safely across the border to a relatives house. We can wait it out here for a day or two until other friends/family can get down to us.

Thank you all for all the help. I had a few plans that likely would have worked out thanks to suggestions here.

I'm now in debt in the karma stakes.

vcmm
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Great to hear.

blgoodbrand1
02-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Good on Ya Leeper.
Thanks for being one of the good guys. [emoji106]

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 03:59 PM
Good on Ya Leeper.
Thanks for being one of the good guys. [emoji106]

Understatement of the year!

Bigwoodsman
02-19-2015, 04:01 PM
That is so cool. Glad it all worked out for you.

Leeper for Premier!

BW

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Apparently not travelling back with the crazy family member was the best decision ever. It was a solid argument the entire journey and ended with that family member driving away with everyone's luggage and refusing to give it back. Dumped them at the side of the road.

Paying the crazy prices would have been worth it. But thanks to the kindness of others I didn't have to.

Mb-MBR
02-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Cyber clap for Leepers......you're a good man.

Hydro1
02-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Glad you are on your way home O.P
Leeper, i see some really good karma coming your way.

bat119
02-19-2015, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=crunchiespg;2741468]Apparently not travelling back with the crazy family member was the best decision ever. It was a solid argument the entire journey and ended with that family member driving away with everyone's luggage and refusing to give it back. Dumped them at the side of the road.

What a jerk!

Hope somebody phoned the border to report the weed under the front seat LOL
Guy sounds like he could use some rubber glove action
Kudu's to Leeper

crunchiespg
02-19-2015, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=crunchiespg;2741468]Apparently not travelling back with the crazy family member was the best decision ever. It was a solid argument the entire journey and ended with that family member driving away with everyone's luggage and refusing to give it back. Dumped them at the side of the road.

What a jerk!

Hope somebody phoned the border to report the weed under the front seat LOL

Kudu's to Leeper

Luckily it was back in Cochrane area. But refused to give them a ride back to the car at our friends house and now has all the ski gear and clothing.
People only went back with her as they were scared she might do something stupid. But looks like we had the best idea just leaving them to their own stupidity.

RandyBoBandy
02-19-2015, 08:38 PM
I tell ya, there are many OUTSTANDING people on this site :) Leepers being the tip of the iceberg :) Just WOW

CBintheNorth
02-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Well done! There are a lot of good people still out there and most of then are sportsmen obviously...

Good karma coming at ya Leeper!

Mr Conservation
02-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Well done Leeper :sHa_shakeshout:

Crunchie - glad that you and your daughter are safe :)

Mr Conservation

Bound2Fish
02-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Glad it worked out in the end for you Crunchie.

As for Leaper, my hats off to you sir. What a stand up thing to do.

pacs5
02-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Leeper your awesome! Good Karma:love0025:

Deer Hunter
02-19-2015, 09:14 PM
What a great guy!

super7mag
02-19-2015, 09:24 PM
A wisers slow clap for Leeper!! Glad Crunchie and his 5 yr old are on the right side of the 49th .

ctd
02-20-2015, 12:53 AM
Good job, glad things worked out for you.

Tactical Lever
02-20-2015, 04:34 AM
Cyber clap for Leepers......you're a good man.

A wisers slow clap for Leeper!! Glad Crunchie and his 5 yr old are on the right side of the 49th .

Glad to hear Crunchie made it back.

And why's everyone wishing the clap on Leepers? Seems like a pretty decent guy to me! :)

Tigger72
02-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Was following this thread prior to heading off to work yesterday....
To the OP - I caught the gist of the situation - sure sounds like you did the right thing even though it put you in quite a pickle - kids don't need to see or go through sh#t like that - well done !
Leeper - words don't describe what you did.... the 5 y/o may not remember this but everyone else will! You did a great great thing !!:sHa_shakeshout:

Redfrog
02-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Leeper sounds like the guy in my sigline.:)

Well done.

Adwittoutdoors
02-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Wow. Just when society was looking very bleak !!! Good job Leeper !!! That is an amazing thing to do for a stranger. Good on you. May you receive many great blessings from this good deed. 👍👍

twofifty
02-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Hey where's Leeper?

bb356
02-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Cool !!!

BDAJ
02-20-2015, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=bat119;2741508]

Luckily it was back in Cochrane area. But refused to give them a ride back to the car at our friends house and now has all the ski gear and clothing.
People only went back with her as they were scared she might do something stupid. But looks like we had the best idea just leaving them to their own stupidity.

Great job on Leepers part! This post made my day. Crunchie, glad you made it across safe and sound. My wife and I are heading down in 2 hours. Was about to PM you offering accoms and food for the weekend if you were still down there. And bless you for looking out for what is so apparently clear to be No#1 in your life...your daughter.

BDAJ

omega50
02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Deeds are fruit, Words are leaves

Beeman
02-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Worst and then best thread in a long time. Good job leeper and everyone else who tried to help with your ideas.

crunchiespg
02-20-2015, 06:32 PM
Yep. The support and even just kind words mean a lot. Thank you guys.
Some real gentlemen on this site.

We got a family member to drive our car down to where leeper left us and we just got safely home.
Best of all with no real drama that my little one was subjected to. She was a little shy yesterday but today whenever we have seen a car similar to leepers she has been talking about the kind man who helped us.

Hopefully I can do my part to pay it forward soon. :sHa_shakeshout: