PDA

View Full Version : The photo showing elk crossing on the CPR bridge near Banff

Baulde
03-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Does anyone know where the original thread with that picture is ?
I thought someone on here took that photo. I have had a few people I know in the US get it in their email and ask me if it is real.

www.snopes.com/photos/ani...nffelk.asp (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/banffelk.asp)

I swear someone here took that photo.

Canmoron
03-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I didn't take the photo - but I drive under that CPR overpass every day and see elk on it often.

Andrew

Baulde
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, all I did was correct them on the fact the bridge was not built for the elk. As the email my US friends were getting was similar to the ones in snopes...

Has there ever been a big mess of elk and train up there ? Or are they smart enough to scatter when the train gets close ?

101sonny
03-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Great pic :D has been on this site before a few months back i think .

Canmoron
03-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey Baulde,

The trains slow right down as the enter that corner, and I haven't heard of any being hit there yet.

A number of springs ago, after a winter of very deep snow, I found where 5 elk had been mowed down by a train at once. This was well past the town boundaries where the the trains can get up to top speed again.

Kept the coyotes and ravens well fed.

Andrew

Tucumseh
03-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Great pic has been on this site before a few months back i think .
I posted these pics about a month or so ago. I didn't take them, they were sent to me by my uncle.