PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GPS tracking device for my V-nose Trailer

rusty99
02-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a GPS tracking unit that I can attach to my V-nose trailer. I would like some feedback and suggestions of such units and where to buy.

Trailer theft has been on the rise and I figure it wouldn't hurt to have a GPS unit on it.

Looking forward to hearing what people are using.

Thanks in advance :)

stubblejumper01
02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Give Certified Radio a call. I think they handle this kind of stuff

Klondike
02-18-2015, 11:48 PM
Check out the spot trace

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=7090&utm_source=google&utm_medium=text&utm_term=spot%20global%20phone&utm_campaign=2015_brand_en

Jack&7
02-19-2015, 06:00 AM
Spy City in Calgary on 17th ave?

blgoodbrand1
02-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Spot (the satellite locator company) has what your looking for.

Wrongside
02-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Spot (the satellite locator company) has what your looking for.

And it's a total waste of money. I've used a SPOT2 for years and been very pleased with it. Bought a TRACE for our work trailers several months ago and have been totally unhappy with it's reliability.

blgoodbrand1
02-19-2015, 07:20 AM
I know we have a bunch but I can't say forsure how well they worked. I guess the op better investigate before he lays out the cash.

rusty99
02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
And it's a total waste of money. I've used a SPOT2 for years and been very pleased with it. Bought a TRACE for our work trailers several months ago and have been totally unhappy with it's reliability.

What sort of issues are you having with it? The last thing I want is an unreliable GPS tracker should my trailer get stolen.

Xiph0id
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
Call FX Audio in edmonton or Spruce groove.

They sell GPS tracking units.

Both owners are good friends of mine, have amazing service and good prices.

Sooner
02-19-2015, 02:39 PM
One thing to consider is will the crooks know it has a gps? If so they will just cut it out or cut the wires a few blocks away from where it is taken from. I have done a few claims where a few semi's and pick up trucks with GPS trackers are used by the company owners and the truck gets stolen. They all say the same thing. We tracked it for 10 mins and then the signal was lost. Something to consider before dishing out a ton of cash or hide the unit real good.

rusty99
02-19-2015, 02:52 PM
One thing to consider is will the crooks know it has a gps? If so they will just cut it out or cut the wires a few blocks away from where it is taken from. I have done a few claims where a few semi's and pick up trucks with GPS trackers are used by the company owners and the truck gets stolen. They all say the same thing. We tracked it for 10 mins and then the signal was lost. Something to consider before dishing out a ton of cash or hide the unit real good.

That is a very good point to consider.

So my research so far is as follow.

Certified Radio has a division called Certified Tracking Solutions. They sell a unit called the Titan TT1SPSAT for about $400.
http://www.titangps.ca/self-powered-gps-products.htm
It's a satellite based unit so no need to worry about cellular reception. It has it's own power supply from AA batteries and needs to be mounted on the roof of a trailer to get a signal. It will report to you its location a few times a day (programmable to your prefrences) and will send an email or text to you. This unit like all the other requires a month fee of about $20 to be online.

Other option that has been mentioned on this thread is the Spot Trace for $120 plus $99yearly fee. Spot is also satellite based and needs a clear view of the sky,so has to be mounted on the roof.

One issue I can see with both these units is that once they get covered with more than a couple inches of snow if mounted on the roof they will loose signal. They can't be mounted underneath due to poor signal reception.

Anyway my friends, just a quick update for you.

Cheers

fishhawk1850
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM
I bought the Spot trace for my trailer and have had no issues with it . I had 8" of snow sitting on top of the trailer and it still had signal so I don't think you have to worry about it. The batteries seem to last good even in the cold I have 6 weeks on the set in it right now , and they are quite sensitive me and my son were inside the trailer fueling up our sleds and just us walking around inside sent me a notification that the trailer was moving. I don't know what kind of issues the OP was having but mine works well. I know a few guys that have mounted them in waterproof containers on top of the trailer so they are a bit more difficult to find , I have mine hidden so it is a pain to get at but worth it for the security. Fishhawk

defino
11-12-2016, 01:35 PM
I bought the Spot trace for my trailer and have had no issues with it . I had 8" of snow sitting on top of the trailer and it still had signal so I don't think you have to worry about it. The batteries seem to last good even in the cold I have 6 weeks on the set in it right now , and they are quite sensitive me and my son were inside the trailer fueling up our sleds and just us walking around inside sent me a notification that the trailer was moving. I don't know what kind of issues the OP was having but mine works well. I know a few guys that have mounted them in waterproof containers on top of the trailer so they are a bit more difficult to find , I have mine hidden so it is a pain to get at but worth it for the security. Fishhawk

Do you still use the Spot Trace and is it still working well ? I am thinking of getting a Spot Trace and would be interested to hear from anyone using this device.
Thanks

TBark
11-12-2016, 02:55 PM
I'd rather have mine NOT be stolen then have to chase down & confront a thief.
Put a simple sticker on the front saying it's wired for GPS tracking.
Then they'd have to really think about it.

TBark

defino
11-12-2016, 03:07 PM
I'd rather have mine NOT be stolen then have to chase down & confront a thief.
Put a simple sticker on the front saying it's wired for GPS tracking.
Then they'd have to really think about it.

TBark

My 3 hungry dogs would do the chasing if needed I'm hoping 😃
It would be a little extra security maybe if anyone did take my ATV or Kubota 😢

warriorboy10
11-12-2016, 04:03 PM
Had a vehicle stolen that had GPS. First thing thieves did when they got far enough away, smashed the GPS. Not too confident that there is really any answer. If they want it their going to get it. Short of it blowing up when it gets moved!! Which would be tempting!!
I'd really be thinkin about it before I spent the cash!

CaberTosser
11-12-2016, 07:09 PM
If thieves are finding your GPS's so fast, they've not been installed well. Most installers develop a habit and always mount in the same spot. Find where that is and avoid it. Put it somewhere unique and disguise it as something else, one can put in an oversize battery that is also concealed.

I'm in the process of equipping my cargo trailer for work and will be looking into the GPS aspect myself. I will also be reinforcing the doors so as to make theives pick easier targets for those just after the contents rather than the entire rig.

fishhawk1850
11-12-2016, 07:34 PM
I still have mine and have had 0 problems with it. As others have said hide it well. Fortunately I have not had to use it yet but it is worth the piece of mind. I also take it out and put it in my boat when we head to the west coast. I forgot to tell my son to turn it off once and it was sending me messages as he drove so I know it works.

defino
11-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I still have mine and have had 0 problems with it. As others have said hide it well. Fortunately I have not had to use it yet but it is worth the piece of mind. I also take it out and put it in my boat when we head to the west coast. I forgot to tell my son to turn it off once and it was sending me messages as he drove so I know it works.

Thanks for your reply/feedback