PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing clothing

spinN'flyfish
02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
JUSt to help to shivering and ice fishermen or new Canadian ice anglers that don't prevail on the lake for long, I recommend wearing the following (as an outside ice fisher):
*Wear in layers
-Snow Pants (or ski pants)
-Thermal Socks
-Warm Winter boots
- A Thick Winter Jacket
-Sweater (underneath)
-Toque
-Scarf (to warm your neck)
-Earmuffs

I get asked alot about this
Feel free to add more suggestions

Kim473
02-19-2015, 06:20 AM
I wear,

Work wear, one pc snow suit
Work wear, -90 rated snow boots
Toque
Snow mobile gloves when its really cold, ski gloves when warm
2 extra layers of shirts or sweaters, can remove as temp increases.
Long Johns

chriscosta
02-19-2015, 06:41 AM
I might sound crazy but i just weat long johns sweat pants a cpl t shirts and a cpl hoodys and a toque ...sometimes gloves ..and on them minus 30 days ill wear an extra hoody ...but hey i work outside and thats my comfortable winter gear i find the snowsuits and what not too bulky

Og Dumi
02-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Wearing long johns or a base layer top and bottom does wonders.

waterninja
02-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Staying warm on the ice is priority one. Everyone has there own system that they feel comfortable in but I think the most important factor is keeping your boots dry. You can have the best winter rated boots money can buy, but if you cover them in water while drilling a hole, or are standing in 6" of flood water and your boots and socks get soaked, you can be in for a miserable day.

Jamie Black R/T
02-19-2015, 10:38 AM
base layers and a good quality suit is where its at.

I bought the frabill I3 suit this year and have had many days out -20 or colder and fished 8 hours without a tent.

you can get away with less if you set up a tent and hunker down with a heater...but thats no fun...i tend to move around too much for that.

Frozenflyguy
02-19-2015, 10:42 AM
one helpful hint to keeping feet warm ...

put on fresh insulated socks just before you go on the ice. It is amazing how much your feet can sweat when you drive half an hour to 2 hours to fish. Fresh socks will go a long way in keeping feet warm.

ffg

EZM
02-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Other than the boots, layers, gloves everyone is going to agree with the one thing I really found to be superior is using insulated waterproof bibs.

Far less restrictive than a coveralls, far better coverage over the lower back when bending, moving, etc... during ice fishing.

Yeah .... I look like a farmer redneck (tuck my carhart hoodie into them) but I've been warm, comfortable and unrestricted ever since.

spinN'flyfish
02-19-2015, 11:30 PM
i have to also say your upper body maybe warm but if your feet are cold, it'll be a horrible day

Duster
02-20-2015, 06:03 AM
T shirt and sweat pants. +30 in my shack.

Dale S
02-20-2015, 07:03 AM
one helpful hint to keeping feet warm ...

put on fresh insulated socks just before you go on the ice. It is amazing how much your feet can sweat when you drive half an hour to 2 hours to fish. Fresh socks will go a long way in keeping feet warm.

ffg

Very good point. I wear my sneakers for driving then put on my boots and socks. I do this when I'm hunting as well.

PerchBuster
02-20-2015, 07:30 AM
If you're feet get cold you're finished. Don't cut corners on foot wear. Spend as much money on a really good set of waterproof boots as you can afford. I wear an expensive pair of Baffins and have had them for about 10 yrs. replaced one set of liners in that time. Also purchased the Black Frabill ice fishing suit a couple years ago. If anything, it is too hot, in this weather we've been having anyways but sure do appreciate it when the temps drop. It's a great suit and I highly recommend the brand if you plan on being out on the cold days. Lots of pockets and articulated knees and elbows make working in tight corners of a fish shack easy.

fishdude17
02-20-2015, 11:36 AM
I have an Arctic Armor jacket and bibs. Best winter clothing I have ever owned. Super warm with minimal clothing underneath, comfortable, very durable and lots of pockets. Plus the suit is buoyant... Knock on wood, never used this feature yet! I have not regretted spending the money on this stuff!

As for the feet, I have 3 different pairs of boots I wear depending on temperature and ice conditions. Different ones for lots of snow, no snow on the ice and flood water on the ice. Insulated socks with all.

Toque, balaclava, light and heavy gloves are in my sled at all times.

As stated in an earlier post, keeping warm is priority one...its easier to start warm than it is to warm yourself up from a frozen state.