PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones

Icouldeatababydeer
02-19-2015, 05:20 PM
I am sure its been ask 100s of times but I'm going to ask again. What cell phone do you recommend and why?
Lost mine about a week ago, need to buy another one. I had the Samsung rugby smart phone, it was good and might get another one. Talked to telus today and guy said I could get the Sony Experia 3 for free, it's water proof just like the rugby. Anyone have any experience with this phone? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

averagejoe
02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, it would depend on what you need.

Do you need a rugged hard wearing phone? Do you need something that is a bit smarter and can play games, take quality pictures? Do you need an organizer etc? Do you need to browse the net? Full screen or one with an actual keypad?

Everybody likes something different and your mileage will vary.

Icouldeatababydeer
02-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Touché
I am clumsy. I liked the toughness of my rugby. Don't really play games or watch videos. Use it for phone calls, txts and the chive. Want water resistant...

Basically want an honest opinion on the Sony experia.
The rugby started out awesome but after 6 months the covers that cover charger ports and stuff fell off...

Smokinyotes
02-19-2015, 05:39 PM
I like the simplicity of the I phone for the technically challenged.

silverdoctor
02-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Soon going to ditch my iphone and pull out the string with tin cans...

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/19/great-sim-heist/

HunterDave
02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Whatever you get, buy a good Otter or LifeProof case for it. My iphone 3 has survived numerous occasions of being dropped in water, dropped, banged and kicked thanks to having a good case. My contract expires in March and I'm going to get a new iphone 5 when I renew.

1shotwade
02-19-2015, 06:03 PM
I run the rugby and its the best rugged phone period. My buddy had the sony and hated it. He
Went back to the rugby.

Taco
02-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Samsung S5 Active

I have one for a month now, can take the odd bounce and water resistant

Fredo
02-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Anything but Apple will be good.

You can't properly use an iPhone without iTunes, which is the biggest POS software to have ever graced this part of the solar system. Not to mention the programmed obsolescence within 2 years, that you actually feel after 6 months.

Try to get an Android phone with 4.4 or later.

amosfella
02-19-2015, 08:24 PM
My opinion. Get the Nexus 6 and a lifeproof case, or balistics case. It's a great phone. Will work anywhere in the world with a micro sim card. It's really fast, and it has all the crap stripped out of it that the manufacturers add to the phone's OS. It's very simple. I've dropped mine numerous times, and no cracks or anything...battery charges fast, and lasts for over 9 hours of screen use + 12 hours talk time for me. This sucker is just plain old fast, and the screen is beautiful....

WCTHEMI
02-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Anything but Apple will be good.

You can't properly use an iPhone without iTunes, which is the biggest POS software to have ever graced this part of the solar system. Not to mention the programmed obsolescence within 2 years, that you actually feel after 6 months.

Try to get an Android phone with 4.4 or later.

You think iTunes is bad, have you seen Windows 8?:)

Programmed obsolescence is present in Android phones as well. It's there in computers and TV's and all kinds of technology that we used every day. Don't make Apple into a bad guy cause they do the same thing every other company does.

Fredo
02-20-2015, 08:42 AM
They are the baddest of the bad guys then:)

I have no issues at all with windows 8. Been running Windows since 3.1 (and DOS before!) and this is my second favorite ever after XP Pro. Anyway, to go back to OP... Anything not Apple saves time and money.

benamen
02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
x2

creeky
02-20-2015, 08:53 AM
I am sure its been ask 100s of times but I'm going to ask again. What cell phone do you recommend and why?
Lost mine about a week ago, need to buy another one. I had the Samsung rugby smart phone, it was good and might get another one. Talked to telus today and guy said I could get the Sony Experia 3 for free, it's water proof just like the rugby. Anyone have any experience with this phone? Any input is appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

my iPhone recently started failing (again), parallel to that i needed an android device for a "ground station app" tho not as critically that could run a live view go pro app + snap seed. long story short the trepidation of dropping iPhone to Xperia 3 has been refreshing. battery life is outstanding. had a hard time in YYC sourcing a case, but u most definitely need one. water proof is peace of mind-notifications, good camera, expandable memory/sd card thing is really smart.

took delivery just a few days back, learning etc, so far so good. we have a Samsung Galaxy for one of our projects, not near as impressive as the Sony.

TLSpeed
02-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Always had iphones, never had much trouble with them. I think they are a little easier to use and I like to stick with what I know!