PDA

View Full Version : NO heat in house, need help/advice ASAP

NINJABABY
02-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Woke up this morning with a very cold house.

There is no power in the thermostat.

All fuses are OK.

Thermostat is 5 years old and made by Honeywell

Any ideas where to start or any suggestions?

Thanks

Lefty-Canuck
02-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Battery in thermostat?

LC

Gerv
02-20-2015, 08:29 AM
every furnace issue i've ever encountered has been the thermocouple. find out what model of furnace you have and generally they should have something in stock at the hardware store.

Gerv
02-20-2015, 08:30 AM
unless its a digital thermostat ive only ever encountered the old style.

ksteed17
02-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Did you check the batteries? Also you could probably jumper it out and give you temporary heat till you get someone in. On the board in your furnace there will be a spot where the wires from your tstat connect. Disconnect all of them and put a jumper between R&W. This will run your furnace full time so you need to shut it off once your warm enough.

teledogs
Battery in thermostat?

LC

X2

CaberTosser
To provide heat the thermostat closes its switch across terminals marked R & W, if its just a two wire thermostat disconnect the wires and touch them together, if your furnace then fires the thermostat is either defective or needs batteries (if it takes them at all).

If you're in the Calgary or surrounding area and need a service call feel free to PM me.

JBE
02-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Put a jumper between the 2 thermostat wires and see if furnace lights up. If it does t;stat is pooched. If it does not then the problem is at the furnace itself

Pathfinder76
02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
To provide heat the thermostat closes its switch across terminals marked R & W, if its just a two wire thermostat disconnect the wires and touch them together, if your furnace then fires the thermostat is either defective or needs batteries (if it takes them at all).

Best advice.

NINJABABY
02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks all who replied so quickly.

Problem solved.

it has batteries and I changed the batteries and it is back to life.

Thanks again all....What a great family!!!

CaberTosser
02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Put a jumper between the 2 thermostat wires and see if furnace lights up. If it does t;stat is pooched. If it does not then the problem is at the furnace itself

With some thermostats jumpering them will burn out the heat anticipator and fry the thermostat, so as a general rule I'd avoid giving such advice without specific knowledge of the thermostat type. Digital thermostats no problem, but with analog ones avoid doing this.

Edit: Ahh, I noticed that ksteed beat me to the punch there. There's often reasons professionals such as he or I might note to disconnect the wires instead of just getting out the alligator clips.

CaberTosser
02-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Gotta love the new member pumping a brand of furnace in both of his two posts in different threads, and the hotlink he provides is for the continental USA and doesn't include Canada........ :rolleyes: Gee, do you think he's a hired gun to pump that furnace brand through the internet? Its a division of Lennox but I've never seen one up here.......