PDA

View Full Version : Private land and RV living...

deucesarewild
02-20-2015, 09:39 AM
The hunters on this forum seem particularly knowledgable on land use laws here so I am hoping some of you can help me as realtors have not proven to be very knowledgable and many land use publications can be difficult to obtain or get a clear word on.

I would like to purchase property somewhere within reasonable driving distance of Calgary as I do have to drive in to town a few times a week. However, I would also like to be a full-time RVer and live on my own property with the RV. I would be in the US and Mexico for 3-5 months out of the year, if that makes any difference.

Practical issues aside, is this viable around but outside of the Calgary area or will we be forced to build a permanent structure?

Thanks in advance!

Texican
02-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Should be able to if you own the property.

HalfBreed
02-20-2015, 10:00 AM
I can only think I'd want at least a pole barn to ward off those pesky hailstorms but don't see any reason why it's not feasible. I'm sure there are more rules the closer to civilization one is and as centers grow, so does the nanny ruling.

deucesarewild
02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
I can only think I'd want at least a pole barn to ward off those pesky hailstorms

Yes, planning on this one!

I ask because we've looked at 3 rural properties outside of Blackie and a couple a little closer to High River and were told that zoning restrictions would prevent us from living in an RV for more than a few months while a permanent structure is built. Realtor told us that this is standard and we would only be able to "get away with it" if we were in the forest where no one would notice or see us haha, but if we got caught that's another story.

I don't want to "get away with it", I want to have the right to live how I want on my own property, yeesh!

Not sure how accurate this is, and I can't begin to imagine whose business it is, but this is the story we're getting. We weren't even within sight lines of town or houses.

elkdump
02-20-2015, 10:10 AM
As long as compliance with local septic Regs and your residential property is not operated as commercial RV Park without legitimate zoning , I couldn't see a problem with personal use.

In fact , a neighbour just last summer demolished his long time ( hovel/ shack/house) laid a new concrete pad and is living in a modern 40 ft RV on the same location.

A rural area of coarse .

Cement Bench
02-20-2015, 10:13 AM
get ahold of the counties in which you are considering to purchase land,

check out thier municipal planning by-law and call the developement officer and in 5 minutes you get your answer

then you conmfirm it with a visit and a letter before you purchase and you are protected

cost is 25 to 50 bucks for each county that tells you what you need to know

realtors are scum

and yes I have sub-divided over 50 pieces of land

Cement Bench

ghfalls
02-20-2015, 11:41 AM
I would think that in a subdivision, you couldn't do it, but out of subdivision, you'd be fine. Drill a well and put in a septic tank and should be good to go.

stuckincity
02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't want to "get away with it", I want to have the right to live how I want on my own property, yeesh!

Not sure how accurate this is, and I can't begin to imagine whose business it is, but this is the story we're getting. We weren't even within sight lines of town or houses.

I can't see a problem with parking a personal motor vehicle on your private property - if you know what I mean.
People can park motor homes on their RV pads.

In your case, just move it 10 or 15 yards every few days, to indicate you're "driving" it.

Just my nickles worth.

wildside2014
02-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Pretty confident your realtors have no idea what they are talking about. I have 2 permanently parked trailers on properties that act as my year round hunt and outdoors camps.

JB_AOL
02-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Yes, planning on this one!

I ask because we've looked at 3 rural properties outside of Blackie and a couple a little closer to High River and were told that zoning restrictions would prevent us from living in an RV for more than a few months while a permanent structure is built. Realtor told us that this is standard and we would only be able to "get away with it" if we were in the forest where no one would notice or see us haha, but if we got caught that's another story.

100% depends on the county. And yes it is enforced. A lot of "recreational" lots are having this issue as well, because the county decided it was in the best interest of county to not allow rv living, even part-time.

HalfBreed
02-20-2015, 12:44 PM
100% depends on the county. And yes it is enforced. A lot of "recreational" lots are having this issue as well, because the county decided it was in the best interest of county to not allow rv living, even part-time.

That's somewhat distressing, I think it would be pretty cool to have some land I can go camping on for the summer period and allow the dogs to run around out of sled season.

More rules needed! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Red Bullets
02-20-2015, 01:49 PM
Call the county offices of where you are interested in buying.

alpineguy
02-20-2015, 02:41 PM
It is true that you cannot stay permanently in an RV in "most" municipalities because of zoning by-laws. However, i actually developed a 38 lot subdivision back in 2004/05 and the allowance was made (formed a new zoning by-law) for just your purpose. There is no building requirement and as long as the RV is licensed and insured, it can be used year round. The subdivision is located about 4 miles NE of Burntstick Lake and borders crown lands to the South and West. I only have 1 lot left in phase 2 and will not have anymore lots available in the near future. Lot size is just under 3 acres and is fully treed and backs onto Beaver Creek.

deucesarewild
02-20-2015, 04:52 PM
It is true that you cannot stay permanently in an RV in "most" municipalities because of zoning by-laws. However, i actually developed a 38 lot subdivision back in 2004/05 and the allowance was made (formed a new zoning by-law) for just your purpose. There is no building requirement and as long as the RV is licensed and insured, it can be used year round. The subdivision is located about 4 miles NE of Burntstick Lake and borders crown lands to the South and West. I only have 1 lot left in phase 2 and will not have anymore lots available in the near future. Lot size is just under 3 acres and is fully treed and backs onto Beaver Creek.

Sounds awesome! But I completely forgot about my husband in my OP (lol) and while that distance from Calgary would be fine for me, he needs to commute into the city daily.

MD of Foothills is out - 200 days per year maximum in an RV *sigh*

ETA: Wheatland County also out. Cannot reside in RV Oct 31-May 1.

This is so disheartening.

Thanks all!

rugatika
02-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Good luck finding private land in Canada. All land in Canada is owned by the Government of Canada.

Grey Owl
02-20-2015, 07:52 PM
So who is going to count the 200 nights. They cannot prosecute without evidence, and they would require daily inspections to show that you have violated the ruling. On the other hand, create your own logbook of nights you think you stayed on site. As you say, you will be out of the country. 90-120 days each year anyway.

Another restriction is the subdivision policy. Many place limits on the length of time from purchase to construction with RV living only allowed during the building phase. In Lacombe Co we camped for over four months this past summer, never heard a word.

crunchiespg
02-20-2015, 08:48 PM
What about a yurt set up under a pole barn. They can be very well insulated and comfortable. Use that as your bedroom and the rv for everything else. Then technically speaking. Your residence is the yurt as that's where you sleep.

Or just get a really good gate and fence and refuse entrance to MD employees. What exactly can they do if your plot is large enough that you can't be seen from a road?

Oh to live in a free country.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
02-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Good luck finding private land in Canada. All land in Canada is owned by the Government of Canada.

Very true!

One can obtain tenure and right of access. Yet all one ever actually owns here are any structures as well the aforementioned tenure/right of access.

The RV thing is a great idea! I wish you the best of luck and think you'll have no problems out in the country doing so.

Plenty of interesting posts here!

HalfBreed
02-21-2015, 09:12 AM
What about a yurt set up under a pole barn. They can be very well insulated and comfortable. Use that as your bedroom and the rv for everything else. Then technically speaking. Your residence is the yurt as that's where you sleep.

Or just get a really good gate and fence and refuse entrance to MD employees. What exactly can they do if your plot is large enough that you can't be seen from a road?

Oh to live in a free country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICchizff08

benamen
02-21-2015, 09:35 AM
If you built a pole barn and parked the RV in it, then lived in the RV inside of the pole barn, would that be ok?

1000yards
02-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Have you looked into tiny houses at all? Great movement in the states but I'm unsure of canadian legality

deucesarewild
02-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Have you looked into tiny houses at all? Great movement in the states but I'm unsure of canadian legality

Same zoning problems, especially if they're on wheels which we would need to be able to escape south annually. Plus they're TOO tiny for us, we really need the space that pop outs provide to make this a viable full time lifestyle for us.

I believe the smallest home you can build in Calgary is 800sqft, not sure of the rest of the province. After lots of fighting, Ontarians can build as small as 450sqft in some areas only and with lots of headache. Not sure of the rest of the country, but overall it seems like an uphill battle.

crunchiespg
02-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Same zoning problems, especially if they're on wheels which we would need to be able to escape south annually. Plus they're TOO tiny for us, we really need the space that pop outs provide to make this a viable full time lifestyle for us.

I believe the smallest home you can build in Calgary is 800sqft, not sure of the rest of the province. After lots of fighting, Ontarians can build as small as 450sqft in some areas only and with lots of headache. Not sure of the rest of the country, but overall it seems like an uphill battle.

If you build a "house" of the required 800 square feet. And choose to park your rv next to it. And just happen to spend most of your time in the rv what exactly could they do to you?
For the "house" does it have to be anything more than box? A basic shack with a bed and a camp stove could be a house.

deucesarewild
02-21-2015, 12:40 PM
If you build a "house" of the required 800 square feet. And choose to park your rv next to it. And just happen to spend most of your time in the rv what exactly could they do to you?
For the "house" does it have to be anything more than box? A basic shack with a bed and a camp stove could be a house.

I believe there's much more to building a house than building a shack and calling it your house.

As far as I can tell, it has to be a permanent structure suitable for living that ticks off all of the Alberta minimum building code boxes - so much insulation, so many windows, certain electrical wiring, certain size, ceiling height, foundation, plumbing, minimum energy efficiency, door size, heating capabilities, yada yada.

I could be totally wrong but now that I am reading zoning bylaws of various counties and AB Building Code 2006 this seems to be the case everywhere.

crunchiespg
02-21-2015, 12:43 PM
I believe there's much more to building a house than building a shack and calling it your house.

As far as I can tell, it has to be a permanent structure suitable for living that ticks off all of the Alberta minimum building code boxes - so much insulation, so many windows, certain electrical wiring, certain size, ceiling height, foundation, plumbing, minimum energy efficiency, door size, heating capabilities, yada yada.

I could be totally wrong but now that I am reading zoning bylaws of various counties and AB Building Code 2006 this seems to be the case everywhere.

What about if you just want to live a simple lifestyle. Without electricity for instance?

deucesarewild
02-21-2015, 02:01 PM
What about if you just want to live a simple lifestyle. Without electricity for instance?

I'm sure the electricity providers have sunk their teeth into it somehow, like ensuring electricity is mandatory for residential structures LOL

hillbillyreefer
02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm sure the electricity providers have sunk their teeth into it somehow, like ensuring electricity is mandatory for residential structures LOL

Pretty sure no one can force you to put in electrical service, after all this is a "free" country.

Amusing how the people on here say screw the man do what you want it's your land. In the next thread it will be the same guys claiming it's not your land when a landowner wants to exercise her rights and keep people off it.

crunchiespg
02-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Pretty sure no one can force you to put in electrical service, after all this is a "free" country.

Amusing how the people on here say screw the man do what you want it's your land. In the next thread it will be the same guys claiming it's not your land when a landowner wants to exercise her rights and keep people off it.

Nope. Your land. Do what you want.
I think trespassers should be shot too. Lol.

HalfBreed
02-22-2015, 02:54 PM

This has me curios as well, if you put a solar cell on your roof, couldn't that be claimed as an electrical source? Run it to an LED light and you close the circuit. Would need a battery for night though. Maybe the bylaw people don't want anyone 'going off grid'?