PDA

View Full Version : Meadow Lake park fishing?

Bushleague
02-20-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm planning to take the kids on a trip to Meadow Lake park in Saskatchewan this summer, and was wondering if anyone would be so good as to give me any advice on where to start. It looks like theres quite a few lakes to explore out there. Although I'm looking for good fishing I'd like to know about anything else in the park the kids might enjoy. I was considering loading up the boat with camping gear and trying to get away from the crowds, is this a feasible plan out there?

huntingaddict
02-20-2015, 12:18 PM
If u think your going to get away from the crowds you won't do it there tons of border jumpers if u want alittle more seclusion try prince albert

SKSniper
02-20-2015, 12:40 PM

skidderman
02-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I've fished at Pierce in Meadow Lake park. Wasn't very busy when I was there. Lots of nice lakes close by as well. I like the area a lot. Just wish it was closer.

curtis_rak
02-20-2015, 12:56 PM
If you have kids, use Kimball Lake as your base of operations. The lake is great, the beach is awesome and so is the campground. It's busy but the kids will stay entertained there. There is a limit of 3 walleye in Kimball as well if I'm not mistaken.

There are also a few other lakes really close by to fish as well

Bushleague
02-20-2015, 01:29 PM
If u think your going to get away from the crowds you won't do it there tons of border jumpers if u want alittle more seclusion try prince albert

Thanks for the advice, it looked like there was quite a few lakes in there and many miles of river. It seems like some of them should be less busy but I could obviously be wrong. Some of the lakes further off the beaten path appear to have very little development and few access points, loading up the boat, running it a few hours down the lake and making camp seems like it should get one some peace and quiet, once again I could be totally wrong.

lmtada
02-20-2015, 01:42 PM

X2. Prince Albert National Park. Waskesui- Saskatchewan's little Banff. Saskatchewans Little jewel. Nice beach, good walleye, jack, whitefish. Hiking, golfing, etc. 7 hr drive from Edmonton. Go Sept long weekend, quiet then after everyone has gone back to school.
Meadow Lake provincial park. Waterhen nice fishing lake ( walleye, pike ). Kimball is good. jeanotte ( small , good ).

YeeHaw
02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
X2. Prince Albert National Park. Waskesui- Saskatchewan's little Banff. Saskatchewans Little jewel. Nice beach, good walleye, jack, whitefish. Hiking, golfing, etc. 7 hr drive from Edmonton. Go Sept long weekend, quiet then after everyone has gone back to school.
Meadow Lake provincial park. Waterhen nice fishing lake ( walleye, pike ). Kimball is good. jeanotte ( small , good ).

Good lake trout fishing in Sandy and Kingsmere lake as well. Kingsmere is kinda neat to get into, you put your boat on a trolly and push it along the tracks for a bit. Pulled a 35 lb out of Sandy opening day 1994. Big pike as well. Lots of great fishing a stones throw away. Besnard for big pike and walleye, Clam, Montreal, bittern, Lac La Ronge. All within an hour, ala Ronge, Tobin, and Besnard, are within about two hours.

madman
02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Kimball and Greig have nice camp grounds with a lot of campsites. Mustus, Rusty, Mistihay are quite or big enough that you will hardly notice anyone out there. Camping in the park other than at a designated sight might be frowned upon. Having open fires other than a fire pit might be a no no. Be something to check into before you go.

Greig has mini golf and ice cream. There was horse back riding at Vivian, can't say for sure if its still open. Kimball has a beauty beach and a store that should be visited.

Overall, fishing is good and the park is fantastic.

Mad

EZM
02-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Totally disagree ....

I have never felt crowded on any lake anywhere within that entire park on any of the dozen of trips I've made.

The largest "crowd" I've ever seem is 6-7 boats fishing an inlet area on a lake thats is 40 square kms.

There are days where you see only a handful of boats on an entire lake.

Meadow Lake is quiet and peaceful.

EZM
02-21-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm planning to take the kids on a trip to Meadow Lake park in Saskatchewan this summer, and was wondering if anyone would be so good as to give me any advice on where to start. It looks like theres quite a few lakes to explore out there. Although I'm looking for good fishing I'd like to know about anything else in the park the kids might enjoy. I was considering loading up the boat with camping gear and trying to get away from the crowds, is this a feasible plan out there?

A couple great lakes to try with the kids ..... Jeanette for little, but numerous walleye OR little Rusty for numerous and steady pike action. Quiet and peaceful.

Little Rusty is one of those lakes where we took 2 boat down, fished all day, caught pike steady all day, and there wasn't another boat on the lake all day.

wildside2014
02-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Im surprised no one has said Lac Des Isle!

EZM
02-21-2015, 06:13 PM
Im surprised no one has said Lac Des Isle!

Good lake ..... lots of structure, lots of islands, never caught anything big there. I know there are lots of people who do ..... we never did great there. It could just be us. In fairness, we have only been 5-6 times.

Waterhen, Pierce, Jeanette, Flotten, Rusty, Gregg all seemed to turn out better for us.

saskpikeman
02-22-2015, 12:08 PM
July and most of August I would have to agree that the campgrounds in the park are very crowded. Not my definition of peaceful at all. Some lakes like third mustus,kimball,mistohay are generally quite busy on the water and have packed boat launches. Other lakes that have crude boat launches are not quite so busy.