PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing at 14 years old?

BDAJ
02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
I can't believe that two 14 year old boys have been charged with multiple counts after an attempted robbery and assault last night in Lethbridge. I don't want to open up a can of worms about terrible parenting and bad influences, although we know it may happen. But what was your biggest worry as a 14 year old and what were you up to? Yes, you will be dating yourself.

Me - It was 1993. Recovering from a broken collar bone, enjoying watching the Leafs play GOOD hockey and make a playoff run. Still had a paper route, and that was the year I harvested my first animal with a rifle. A small basket WT.

BDAJ

HalfBreed
02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
I was in Army cadets furiously trying to finish high school so I could get in on the cold war.

recce43
02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
I was in cadets playung hockey going ice fishing .

Elk Hunter17
02-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Sports, hunting and working.

bubba 96
02-20-2015, 11:23 AM
1985 was the year was always riding dirt bikes, camping and fishing along the elk river between sparwood and fernie, a couple of buddies, would pack a tent fishing gear and a bunch of beer and we leave friday after school from sparwood, and one of our parents would pick us up on sunday in fernie..
these were awsome trips....Sure miss living down there..
And in the summer months when school was off I was in cowley ab working at a farm..

Sooner
02-20-2015, 11:23 AM
At 14(1981) I was playing soccer, playing Atari games, camping/fishing with the family at every chance and hanging with my friends but i had a 11 o'clock curfew and mom would be up playing solitaire waiting for me. I knew it, she knew it. Be late, expect to be answering questions. I had friends at the same time who's parents couldn't care less when they got home. Wasn't long until a couple of those kids were already breaking into cars. That's when i found new friends. I think at 14 the crap starts to separate from the good and theft at that age has been going on forever. What I didn't see back then was armed robbery, assaults and weapons. Knives seem to be the hidden weapon of choice today and with a boy in High School and a girl in Jr High it is my biggest fear. Thank god they hang with good kids and we have a great relationship with them and it helps to know all of the parents of their friends. Got to thank mom and dad for passing that on.

bucksnbears
02-20-2015, 11:29 AM
i was doing 16-17 year old girls:sHa_shakeshout:

mooseknuckle
02-20-2015, 11:36 AM
1991 likely smoking a lot of pot and playing video games.

Fredo
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
I was working as a mover during the summer to be able to buy a paintball gun!

79ford
02-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Spent the summer camped out working in the bush with my dad for 30$ a day, lol, that was in 1999. I thought i was rich. There was that then beating up this crappy honda civic my neighbour gave me

elkdump
02-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Cadets every week,school every day, fishing the creeks, shooting 1000's of gophers with my own .22 Cooey rifle ,building go-carts, long 25,30 sometime 40 mile bicycle day trips, hiking on foot excursions/overnight campouts with close buddies,

And always in the back of my mind if I came home with the cops or a neighbours complaint of my actions on persons or property be it criminal or harassing , or trouble making ?
Then the reward that my old man would probably beat me to death with my own rifle was a strong deterrent to going astray of the law. :scared0018:

FallAirFever
02-20-2015, 11:49 AM
It was 1988 so watching some Winter Olympics on TV. Playing a lot of Nintendo. Watching as much Oilers hockey as I could. Riding my bike with friends, playing a lot of boards games and D and D. Road hockey. Riding my GT snow racer.
I was a chubby nerd. I also had a part time job that took my 40 minutes by bike to get to. So not getting into much trouble. That started a year later drinking, sneaking out, smashing my moms pathfinder when she was on her honeymoon with her new husband that I hated....

But I didn't really do anything towards anyone else. I was lucky my mom instilled a sence of right and wrong in me and I had an Uncle who is a. Dry good man with a strong moral compass that took me under his wing. Some of my best memories from my youth were spent with him hunting and fishing.

CanuckShooter
02-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Hunting squirrels, fishing and swimming in the river, riding my bike and motor cycle, managing my paper route, doing the odd baby sitting gig, getting in fights at school all the normal things?

Skytop B
02-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Peeling potatoes by the 5gal pail and washing dishes in mom's restaurant after school and on weekends. Working on the farm as well. (Dad used to get us up early so we could shovel a load of grain into the auger and have a shower before the bus got there. Helping dad cut/split firewood. Had a good little trapline on the Swan River, lot's of beaver, muskrat, mink & ermine. Used to get $60 for a beaver in the round. Spent most of our money on ammo. Dad used to yell at us boys "it sounds like god damn world war 3 down there!!!" to us when we got back to the house, used to go down to the "River and gravel pits behind the farm shooting a lot.

winged1
02-20-2015, 12:07 PM
1972 - constantly explaining my where abouts to the Saskatoon city police. Cruising the neighborhood keeping the Bedford boys off our turf.

bat119
02-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Worked for my uncle delivering meat around town, for helping him he took me to the Queen concert in Calgary they played the white queen album,Kansas was the backup band around 1974-75 or so, I remember it like yesterday.

Redfrog
02-20-2015, 12:18 PM
I wasn't robbing and assaulting people.

Girls, work, school, fishing, girls, hunting, girls mostly.:)

Bigwoodsman
02-20-2015, 12:20 PM
I turned 14 in June 1976. I was working for my dad that summer, and he had won a contract to change closet doors in several apartment buildings. I was dropped off at a location with an electric screw driver, and a bucket with instructions to remove and haul out to the ground level all of the closet doors.

I went in at 0800 started knocking on doors ( saw some interesting things at that time of the day). At noon he'd show up with lunch and we'd load the doors in his pick up. He'd have the replacement doors and he and I would install these. I'd pack them up and he'd put them in.

The residences that had no one home we left a note on the door to call for the change out, and he'd make appointments. Lots of times I was back in the evening with him changing doors.

On the weekends I'd spend time camping and fishing with family and relatives.

That fall I drove combine and grain truck for one of my uncles. He'd pick me up after school and on weekends during harvest season.

Man I'd love to be 14 again! Cannot believe that almost 40 years have passed

BW

omega50
02-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Playing backboard ping pong while wearing my Fuddle Duddle Beanie!

hayseed
02-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Working on our farm, neighbours dairy farm, and lots of huntin, and spending time in the bush..

SKSniper
02-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Skateboarding, biking and more skateboarding...I think I was 15 or 16 when I turned into a "waste of skin retard"(smoking pot). I certainly wasn't out robbing people, although I may have stolen a few things from the corner store and school cafeteria at that age...:scared0018:
The last season of hockey I played was at age 14. All downhill from there :D

Dr. Phil A
02-20-2015, 12:30 PM
In the 5th year of my Full time farm hand job on the family farm. School, hockey, soft ball, worked at the auction market one day a week.Keeping the gophers to a respectable level. Fishing a bit. Bit of water skiiing. Lots of haying in the summer. Sweeping bales off the field two at a time with a Fordson Major. Picked up a day and there with other farms in the area. Mostly work and busy enough to value the time off that I had. No idle hands.

Had no time for the foolishness that the OP has posted. Also would have had my hide tanned for that kind of stupidity.

edmhunter
02-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Hunting, fishing, playing football, lying to girls, and trying to get out of going to school! :)

Ricktye
02-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Certainly not judging, but i sure didn't realize the majority of responders on this Board were so young! But it does explain a lot of opinions....

R...

spirit4u
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
I was 14 in 1979. Helped out on the farm, haying, milking cows. Trapping gophers 10cents a tail. Shooting sparrows with the pellet gun. Following the hay baler stomping on mice and filling a tobacco can and fed to the barn cats, lol. Riding my mini trail bike every where. Re-ringed my older brothers GMC in-line 6 engine. Fishing when I could. Identifiying birds was something I enjoyed. Wanted to be like my dad so I keep a daily journal to. He was gone from my life 7 years later, love the smell of smoke from a pipe. Had so much freedom at 14, was an awesome time.

David Henry
02-20-2015, 01:17 PM
It was 1975 when I turned 14, I grew up in south west Scotland in a small fishing town. Always lots of odd jobs for a boy to be had on the boats and working for the farmers, my uncle was an undertaker so that was a bit of an eye opener from time to time. My best friend and shooting buddy saved up and bought an AYA Yeoman 12 bore double, I had a Webley single barrel. Made a few explosive attempts to make ginger beer and cider that all ended in gut aches, also had the notion that menthol cigarettes would be the right thing to try. IRA on the news every night along with the shocking punk rock bands of the day, never missed a Sunday in church and never paid attention to one word while there. Detested the British education system and those that administered its doctrine, to this day I would like to burn down that school. But they say you cant go back. David Henry.

Red Bullets
02-20-2015, 01:33 PM
The most memorable thing I was doing when I was 14 was going along with 27 horse back riders and 3 chuckwagons and riding for almost 3 weeks. The group had stopped at our farm to camp and water their horses for the night and I asked if I could tag along and they let me join the group. Luckily I had my own horse. We rode around 15-20 miles a day. Long ride. Met a cute 14 year old blonde cowgirl on the trip that made the miles melt away.

Times were simple.

ren008
02-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Back in 1999... Mostly going to school and hanging out with buddies I guess. Pretty much had it with organized sport and clubs by that age. Also started working a lot of evenings doing janitorial by that point to help out with the family finances. We had quit farming by then but still lived on the acerage which meant never ending amounts of grass to cut with the old POS mower... Remember that clearly. No major challenges as we were raised to know and do right.

Bushrat
02-20-2015, 03:02 PM
1974, working for the old man delivering furniture and appliances, and pumping gas at my other job so I could pay my room and board at home.

Springerman
02-20-2015, 03:23 PM
1957,I was going to school , doing daily chores and hanging out with my friends. My biggest memory was of going on my first really big Duck hunting trip with my Dad & Uncle on opening day. My dad had bought me a 410 shotgun. I managed to bag 7 ducks that day( It was Shoal Lake in Manitoba), there were ducks everywhere. Great day !!!

Zip
02-20-2015, 03:37 PM
1971 for this old guy..I was doing long distance running and playing basketball,volleyball, and anything to do with track and field..the sundowners track club in Brandon tried to get me to join the club and train for running in competitions..then I met beer and girls, quit running then! My mom still reminds me of that poor decision..hunted a lot with my best friend (my dad). We used to streak all over Brandon Manitoba..that was crazy fun running up to the window in a restaurant at supper time and showing everyone how stupid we were! I guess I kinda grew up normal, lots of friends to hang out with and we seemed to have plenty of fun outside without having to steal or do damage to anyone..the streaking was the most fun though..haha!
Zip

Matt L.
02-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Back in 2001 I was doing whatever odd jobs I could to pay for a good mountain bike and spending as much time as I possibly could outdoors.

58thecat
02-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Chasing girls, exercising catch and release.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

MBOBREL
02-20-2015, 03:58 PM
That was 1974 and I was hanging out in front of and in the pol hall and doing wheelies down main street on my 10 speed!

Leeper
02-20-2015, 04:44 PM
I was spending my money on fishing gear, Boxing Illustrated, and Ring magazine. I listened to Rock and Roll on the radio and was captivated by the British invasion. I mourned the decline of my boyhood heroes, Sugar Ray and Archie Moore but thrilled at the ascension of Cassius Clay. I was using my Dad,s loading tools to load for my 303 (I used a 308 neck sizer and seater). I was on my way to becoming a bad kid for a while and am thankful that I never hurt anyone or myself too badly. I owe apologies to several people and should have appreciated what I had. Leeper

Hydro1
02-20-2015, 05:09 PM
14 (2007) I was, fishing, hunting, camping,. Biking, skateboarding, skiing, Fighting, drugs, alcohol, spent many nights in jail. :sign0161:

Mountain Adventurer
02-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Ah yes 14 a magical time in life! At 14 a had a full time girlfriend of two years..yup only 12. And we spent most of our time together,madly in love, school bathrooms,under bridges the gym locker room..you get it and the rest of our time with a group of about 9 that would get together every night and round up all of our money for extra curricular activities such as helping out in the public and volunteering..you didn't buy that last part right!:sHa_sarcasticlol: I will say that unlike the rest of my bunch I never stole cars or broke into people's homes,not even a criminal record. Full time girlfriend= you got er! Thanks ma, I turned out okay!

edmhunter
02-20-2015, 05:47 PM

Hydro1
02-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Sorry for the blank posts guys.

edmhunter
02-20-2015, 05:55 PM

dumoulin
02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
1986. Going to school, working carrying drywall after school, worked selling my firewood to lakes and parks. Played hockey, football, volleyball and track in the summer months. I spent my spare time playing the piano and tearing apart motors and stuff.

norwestalta
02-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Learners licence, hunting licence and expo 86. Hockey,baseball dirt biking. Moved to Edmonton from gainford and was called a country bumpkin until I learned to fight. Lol. Forgot smoking pot and I might of even made my first batch of beer that I bottled in pop shop bottles.
Good ol days

RandyBoBandy
02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
1971 going to school, playing hockey,soccer, pumping gas, filling AC Delco batteries with acid (hey dad my eyes are burning...shut up and fill those batteries and studding tires etc etc etc :)

doetracks
02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Early 80s..

Spent every Friday and Saturday night at Lloyd's Rollercade in Calgary. Lots of walking ad biking around Glenmore reservoir.

javlin101
02-20-2015, 06:38 PM
1972 - dirt bikes, beer, and trouble. From there grew up, 4 kids, and a pretty good life.

JohninAB
02-20-2015, 06:40 PM
1976. Spent a lot of time at my parents cabin in Saskatchewan riding my motorbike, waterskiing and shooting every gopher (Richardson Ground Squirrel) I could with my Cooey single shot 22 or my old 177 pellet gun.

EZM
02-20-2015, 07:34 PM
It was the mid 80's ..... either playing soccer, going fishing on the bow river (just a short walk from my house) or working in the Dad's shop.

Got my first car and drove it to school sometimes (and yes, you had to be 16 to drive by yourself at the time, not 14). My parents never found out. (I hope my mom isn't reading this).

A side note ..... got pulled over at age 15 driving by myself. Tried to be cool as a cucumber. The cop took my license back to his car ..... it seemed like hours. Came back with a ticket and I drove away ...... whew ......

At that time the licences had a plastic envelope, with a paper piece and the plastic ID card. He didn't even take a moment to calculate my age or notice my license said class 7 on the paper part (I think the ID card part was identical to the regular drivers license with no indication of class). I promptly paid the ticket ...... and nothing ever came back ...... thank god.

Bought my first "big boy" rifle - Remington .30-06 pump action with a 3x9 bushnell scope.

Shot my first deer at 14. I spiker muley .... I was so proud of it. I still have the "rack" in my mom's garage.

That car also got me my first .......... nevermind ....... girlfriend ..... an older girl .....

14 was the cats meow ..... the next few years had to be the best years of my life.

schmedlap
02-20-2015, 07:37 PM
The year my Dad retired from CF and moved us from the City (Halifax) to a country acreage (Paradise, Annapolis Valley, NS) - the gentleman country hobby farmer thing did not work out for him, but he ended up very successful in a new business. New school, new friends, new experiences, completely different lifestyle in every way - loved it and always thankful it happened. Hunting (in those days one could have a gun and license at 14 in NS with no pre-qualifications), snaring rabbits (really just an excuse to hit the woods daily), fishing the brooks within walking distance of home for trout and for big striped bass in the river in the spring (almost all of which we delightedly kept and consumed, of course) , canoeing on the river sans PFD's, hockey (my brother and I were instant local "stars", coming from a much more competitive urban minor hockey system), baseball, fastball, high school soccer (the local combined junior high & high school was too small to have football, so all the best "jocks" played soccer, and we had perennial provincial championship teams). Expected to do our share of helping out with the "farming" - our own and that of our neighbours. Friends making and organizing our own fun and entertaining ourselves creatively, including our "social" adventures, because there were very few "official" outlets of any kind, and our parents had no "bubble wrap" tendencies at all - hell, these days they would all probably be arrested for egregious child neglect (?). I teased mine mercilessly at their 50th anniversary celebration about the very long list of "dangerous" activities they not only allowed, but overtly facilitated - and thanked them profusely for same. I wish I could have delivered the same opportunities to mine.
And 1969 was, by all accounts, a rather "seminal" year in world history on many fronts (?). We did not get in any official trouble - we were pretty "good" - my Dad sorted out our very few interfaces with the local constabulary, on a mediative basis, with no charges.
14 was a very good year, all around.

DiabeticKripple
02-20-2015, 07:58 PM
2008, i was in a lot of sports and really popular among the ladies

DUKE-1
02-20-2015, 08:01 PM
i was taking my .22 to school in a back pack after breaking it down then go to the creek to shoot beaver and what ever else crossed my path . no one knew. wow

ex811
02-20-2015, 10:00 PM
1968...can't remember. I discovered Beer around that time and things have been a blurr ever since.

wolf308
02-20-2015, 10:16 PM
1995. No direction in life and non existent parents basically , not welcome at home atmosphere really. Never beaten or anything.

Guess drugs and alcohol , and girls of course. Also preoccupied with finding food cause didn't ever wanna go home. Got odd jobs until a steady one at age 16 , after school and weekends. Amazing I graduated. But never leaned towards violence or theft. Yes trouble with the law but due to the drug and alcohol stuff. Got it out of my system earlier than most of my friends at school so had difficulty fitting in kinda. Grew up fast I guess.

I just wanna be a better parent to my kids than what I had. Some resentment to my parents , but can't let it hold me down , so try hard to be there for them, but sometimes it's tuff.

wolf308
02-20-2015, 10:17 PM
1968...can't remember. I discovered Beer around that time and things have been a blurr ever since.

Lmao ,,,,,, yup.

anthony5
02-20-2015, 10:52 PM
1st year guiding at my uncles fishin and hunting camp, Labatts blue and Bacardi white and coke, pretty girls from the USA, been clear sailing ever since.

KGB
02-20-2015, 11:47 PM
Discovered girls and wine. Both tasted great! Was hanging out with friends chasing girls, trying to get some boose and just have fun. Also school, wanted to graduate and get to the university. Did both....

C Taylor
02-20-2015, 11:48 PM
1984. Winters were spent trapping an skinnin. I'd of been about 14 that I got 500 rats 50 beaver an around 25 coyotes. And failed school. Lol
Summers was bulls. I was too big to look good in the boys steer riding an too young to do good on bulls but I tried

Smokinyotes
02-21-2015, 12:15 AM
You guys are making me feel real old. It was '79 for me. Winter was spent sledding and trail riding. Made my first trip to Valemount sledding. Summer time was spent racing motocross, water skiing, and drinking old Milwaukee or Olympia. Seems like there was a beer strike every summer back then.

Kim473
02-21-2015, 04:51 AM
Chasing girls, exercising catch and release.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Me 2, handling each one with the utmost care. Practicing my release techneque.

Zulu9er
02-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Sitting out back of the high school portables in 1969, with some buddies drinking 4 Aces wine. Cost for a bottle was $1.05,, hence our motto,, "Come Alive for a Dollar Five"

Zip
02-21-2015, 09:38 AM
What...am I the only one who streaked way back then??? Ummm,maybe I should have left that part out!:)

amosfella
02-21-2015, 10:18 AM
I was homeschooled then. Dad was very sick from damage done in the oilfield. I ran a 3000 acre organic farm and cattle operation with my about 75 year old grandpa... shot a lot of gophers for the neighbors and ourselves. (neighbors paid for tails) I had learned to drive at 3 (yes literally. Garden tractor. could back up a truck and trailer at 7) Trying my hand at making knives. Lots of stuff I know I'm forgetting...

Nait Hadya
02-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Year fourteen consisted of running hounds, grouse hunting, snaring rabbit, fishing and working in the woods with axe and saw.

Huntsman
02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
Base Brat here in Edmonton getting the "Meatheads" to chase us around the PMQ's in Lancaster Park.
Shooting our pellet rifles across hwy 28 in the farmers field and hitch hiking to the Rosslyn to get bootlegged 6 packs of Bud around back.
My buddy and I were also golfing on base when the tornado hit Evergreen trailer park.....we were the only ones golfing lol

lake side
02-21-2015, 02:15 PM
With all the booze and drugs at 14, is it any wonder why we see some of the posts we do. Explains alot.

L.S.

Huntsman
02-21-2015, 02:18 PM
:party0051:

edmhunter
02-21-2015, 02:21 PM
With all the booze and drugs at 14, is it any wonder why we see some of the posts we do. Explains alot.

L.S.

The ones that kept going down that road and didn't stop are no longer posting, except for on HF! :(

HF ='s Heaven Forever. Lucky for them there are no shortage of available members.

Jack Hardin
02-21-2015, 02:24 PM
1956 going to school, paper route

bagwan
02-21-2015, 05:16 PM
dunno. Can't remember. That was 1955.

anthony5
02-21-2015, 07:37 PM

L.S.

And just exactly what does this explain? That in our second teenage year we were trying to find our way and got lost, and are still lost? Maybe at 19 or 20 but not 14.

yoteblaster
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Paper route,dirt bikes and spending tons of time in the bush

ETOWNCANUCK
02-21-2015, 08:29 PM
Junior high basketball team
Dungeons and dragons
Riding a new bike because I passed in school
School yard fights
Nintendo
Blue jays won the World Series
List goes on

coy coyote
02-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Spent a lot of time on the baling hay and ranching and riding colts . Got my trappers and learners license . Would steal dad's truck and check my trap line. Selling beaver and coyotes for today's prices. Had made enough money to buy a custom saddle and a couple horses. Pretty much knew what I wanted to be when I grew up and didn't settle for less. Got a two 14 year olds helping me calve cows . Between playing on their iPhone and trying to steal wifi off of my phone that's as ambitious as they get

Moosetalker
02-22-2015, 02:55 AM
We had hunter training as an option in school that year the teacher was also our science teacher. He said if I would put as much effort into all the rest of my schoolwork as I did that class I would be able to pick whichever university to go study at and be a lawyer, scientist or whatever I wanted.

I don't think he'll ever forget the the reply I gave him, School is in fall ! Hunting season is in fall ! Sez I an extra 4 years + of University on top of High school.... Nope not in this lifetime.

Spent the summer pushing a lawn mower around the neighbor hood all summer cutting lawns for 50c. and shoveling manure out of trailers at the stock yards.
Happiness was having having my Dad take me to buy a Coey bolt action 22 still have it, can still see the dull spot on the fore-grip where I wore the gloss of stroking it. :)

Only acts of terrorism I performed were on grouse, rabbits and gophers.

Talking moose
02-22-2015, 05:55 AM
86, riding dirt bike, hockey, fishing at the weir, hunting, smoking a little pot, drinking a little beer, getting hickeys and playing stinky finger. Now it's working 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week, where's that dam rewind button!!!!:)

dodger
02-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Got my learners and that was ok enough for my dad to let me have the car by myself. Never pulled over once as all we did was load up the slingshots, bows, .22s, and head out of Calgary do do damage to the gophers and rabbits.

Dodger.

norwestalta
02-22-2015, 08:42 AM
86, riding dirt bike, hockey, fishing at the weir, hunting, smoking a little pot, drinking a little beer, getting hickeys and playing stinky finger. Now it's working 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week, where's that dam rewind button!!!!:)

Yep stink finger forgot about that game. Lol. Spin the bottle as well.

Mr Conservation
02-22-2015, 09:03 AM
1972 was the year for me :sHa_shakeshout:

* annual fishing trip in northern Ontario - don't remember where

* first trip to the Rockies - after the trip I knew I would live in western Canada one day - made the move to Alberta 10 years later

* still had my paper route - delivering the Globe and Mail six mornings a week

* started high school in the fall - some of the best years ever

* usher in a couple of weddings

* joined my first conservation club - the Feather and Hook club - learned to tie flys - have had the conservation ethic ever since

* usual interest in meeting girls, going to dances, going to parties

* going to / participating in fights and watching hockey games break out

Mr Conservation

Dick284
02-22-2015, 09:12 AM
Having to live in Edmonton:(
School, chores, school, chores, school, chores..........

HalfBreed
02-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Yep stink finger forgot about that game. Lol. Spin the bottle as well.

I often thought that sounded so rude, I preferred the term 'playing puppet'.

bigbfidaddy
02-22-2015, 03:16 PM
Summer of 87 swamping furniture for my dad's moving company making $12/hr saving to buy my first car.

thumper
02-22-2015, 08:32 PM
An early morning paper route, and part-time parceling groceries at the grocery store. I lied about my age to get that job - paid $1.35/hr and I've had a healthy bank account ever since. Graduated from a mini-bike to a dirt bike that summer, went on a week long canoe trip in Algonquin Park with a buddy.

brownbomber
02-22-2015, 08:47 PM
14 was spent trapping all winter, feeding cows and playing hockey and baseball and if I was a good kid got to fire up my sega genesis.

Hydro1
02-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Dare i ask what stink finger is? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

norwestalta
02-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Dare i ask what stink finger is? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You're either to young or to old. Lol

Hydro1
02-22-2015, 09:12 PM
You're either to young or to old. Lol

I looked it up on urban dictionary.... :scared0015:

bakerman
02-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Only had a learners licence then in 1978, worked for a farmer 6miles out of town who gave his old truck to me to drive back and forth to work, wore a cowboy hat and never got pulled over once. Made 70.00 a week and thought that was huge money, also hunted and fished every chance we got, Pine lake was amazing back then.

Slash8
02-23-2015, 07:33 AM
It was 1984, the only thing I was ever concerned with was when my Dad was going to town so I could get some more .22 ammunition because I could actually buy it myself back then without a PAL or a POL from UFA or WW Arcade in Edmonton. I got my learners licence. We had four channels on TV and one of them was french. The only show I liked was SCTV, it was on at 11 pm, I watched it on a 14" black and white TV. Our color TV was a 25" RCA. My spare time was spent outside playing with my dog or hunting small game or hanging with my friends that I still hang with to this very day. I did various chores around home or someone else's farm like bale and stack hay, shovel S**t, mend fence, pick chickens, shovel snow or chop wood so I could by .22 ammo or go to a movie in the city. I rode and old bicycle with a Cooey .22 strapped to the handle bars with rubber bungee cords some times up to 8 miles so I could shoot gophers at the various places I had permission on and no one seemed to care, many used to wave as they drove by. Chased a few of the local girls and ran away from as few of their older brothers. Didn't get into too much trouble or the old man would have whopped my ***** and I knew it.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
02-23-2015, 08:05 AM
twas 1974, I had a job since I was 9 at the local feed lot in Langdon AB spent that summer stooking bales behind a baler, on my days of I had to heard my Dads cows along the ditches or RR right of ways, I raised and trained hunting beagles all through my younger years which kept me occupied and away from other brats of the days, that fall I purchased my first shotgun from Zellers (20 gauge Remington single shot my grand son learned to shoot clays with it, and now my grand daughter uses it for pheasants), and got my first hunting licence, those were some great times in my life , worked hard hunted hard, my dad had the belief that if a boy or man wanted something he had to earn it from the sweat off his back. I never got into trouble till I learned about girls & women, by then I was smart enough to stay away from the bad ones or the ones I thought were bad anyways

wasteland.soldier
02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
It was 1999 and I was an oil brat, living in Beijing, China. I played hockey with other international kids my age. Mostly Canadians, Americans, Scandinavians, and a couple Russians. The Canadian ambassador's son was a classmate of mine, and his dad was one of the coaches. We played a tournament in Hong Kong, which was pretty awesome, although we were the worst team there by far.

I didn't drink or anything. Didn't hear much of drugs, although a bunch of older kids got expelled for making pot brownies on a school trip. A lot of my friends did drink, and I'd go to bars with them (in China they don't care how old you are if you have money). I thought they looked stupid when they were drunk and didn't get the appeal.

I did start drinking a bit at 15, living in Holland. The drinking age there was 16 but I was rarely asked for ID at bars.

I definitely never threatened anybody with a weapon or stole anything.

Tracker34
02-24-2015, 09:21 AM
That would put me at about 1989. If I wasn't in school, I was trout or salmon fishing in spring and summer, hunting and trapping in fall and winter. My guns of choice where my Lakefield semi 22. It is still my go to for grouse. My other favorite was my dad's Cooey, 20 ga. I tapped sugar maple every spring to make a few gallons of maple syrup. Summer job was horse logging with my dad. Those where the days.

colt45
02-24-2015, 09:58 AM
1972 , school, trapping shooting rats, beaver, before after school, driving dad and uncles D8 cat , they didn't have truck to haul it, did lot of time driving down ditches to next job, fishing in the river, Riding horse to check traps, after school. also some farm chores everyday, Good times

openfire
02-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Working my butt off with hot tar working commercial roofing to pay for a trip to costa rica to get my certification for Scuba Diving.
That was a long but good summer

32-40win
02-24-2015, 01:09 PM
That would be 1969 for me. Playing pool, going to the bar with a substitute teacher, watching Felix Konkhe toss some folks out by their ear. Dang, I even had hair back then!! Civil war boots with bell bottom jeans, foot long fringed leather jacket. Walter Cronkite & Viet Nam was on the news every night. Fishing in the beaver ponds. Had my first summer job working cleanup in a sawmill, bought an 870 at Marshall-Wells with my first paycheque.