PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which GPS unit.

Sitting Bull
02-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Hey guys, I need some help choosing between these 2 units, Garmin Etrex10/20 or the new GPSMAP64. Any body like to share there experiences with either one? I am not a techno guy so I don't see myself using much more than the basic mark waypoints, go to , track back. I don't think I need the 3 axis compass or the altimeter . I just want the most dependable unit.
Thanks guys.

twofifty
02-20-2015, 02:24 PM
I think you can pick up used E-trex models for around the $50 mark and they are simple, reliable, good on batteries.

However they have a small b&w screen, and limited features. I used an E-trex 10 and was happy with its accuracy, however signal reception is limited in steep terrain or even under a quarter-open forest canopy.

The new model receivers generally have very powerful antennas, screen that are visible in sunlight; they also receive both US and Russian (GLONAS)signals, which means there pretty well always are enough 'birds' in line of sight to get a quick accurate fix no matter the terrain and even
under a tight-ish canopy. But they use up battery power real quick.

For what you're looking for, a used E-trex is an inexpensive way to get started and is good reliable proven kit.

p.s. the GSMAP series is highly regarded by hunters.

bobalong
02-20-2015, 08:08 PM
I would go with the gpsmap64 just for the fact that function buttons are on the front. This is much, much easier to operate, and especially so if you are going to be using it on a vehicle, quad, boat etc. Bigger screen is also a plus for this unit.

twofifty
02-20-2015, 08:17 PM
And the GSMAP and E-trex menus are button activated rather than touchscreen activated, a big plus with gloves.