PDA

View Full Version : Alberta vehicle insurance

Cheyenne 1
02-21-2015, 09:13 PM
So last night my boy was on his way back to camp north of Grand Cache. He was on a logging road and he met a logging truck that didnt know how to call his kilometers out. The logging truck was in the middle of the raod on a curve. My boy hit the ditch, not very happy but ##it happens all was ok.
He called a buddy form camp to pull him out. They broke the strap so thought they would just get it in the morning. He drove it further into the ditch so no one would hit it.
Well hard to believe but some idiot hit his truck. And I mean HIT it. His truck dont look good. The other truck is there too. When he got there its got police tape on the scene. Looks like the guy was really moving when he hit it.

Question it how does insurance work in this situation?He has Alberta insurance not sure jow this works as I am from Manitoba and we have public insurance. I know he pays a lot more where he is than we do here,
He is not sure what do do and I want to make sure that he does everythng right.

Thanks

ETOWNCANUCK
02-21-2015, 09:20 PM
Might depend on how far over he actually was and wether his vehicle wasn't an obstacle to other drivers.
Not saying he is at fault but it might be something they look at.

Cheyenne 1
02-21-2015, 09:31 PM
He was stuck in the ditch No where close to the road. The truck that hit him had to actually hit the ditch first and then hit his truck He has pictures and you can see whre it was and where it ended up. It is very obvious the guy that hit him was driving way to fast.

Yycadm
02-21-2015, 09:31 PM
what he said. It will likely be important that he be able to determine fairly accurately the position of his truck when he left it. If "pulling it off further" means he drove it two feet off the roadway, when it was only 6 inches off the road to begin with, he may have some issues. Also, if it was left in such a way as to be partially obscured by terrain (i.e. on the inside of a tight corner in hilly country) and the hazard not adequately marked, it may not turn out well for him.

A vehicle operator has an obligation to ensure a disabled vehicle is left out of the flow of traffic, and that the hazard present is clearly visible, either with clear line of sight, or with safety flares, markers or hazard lights (preferably both visible & clearly marked). Failure to do so could result in increased responsibility for the second collision, and possibly being charged if left in an unsafe manner. He'd be wise to be talking to the RCMP and his insurance company right away, preferably in the above order.

Cheyenne 1
02-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Yes I understand. He was stuck in the bottom of the ditch. Now where near normal travel. Thats why he had to leave his truck there. It was not on the edge of the road. It was way off in the ditch.
Are there different insurances for trucks that are used on private roads?

thanks

EZM
02-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Yes I understand. He was stuck in the bottom of the ditch. Now where near normal travel. Thats why he had to leave his truck there. It was not on the edge of the road. It was way off in the ditch.
Are there different insurances for trucks that are used on private roads?

thanks

If he was completely off the road ..... you should have no worries. The other's guys insurance will likely pay for the damages. Contact the police, they were obviously on the scene.

Did the logging truck stop? If you got his information, in fact, he would be responsible for running you off the road in the first place and disabling your vehicle.

Whether or not he ran you off the road and 10 seconds later some hit you or the next day someone hit you (and having reasonably attempted to remove your damaged vehicle) the root cause is the logging truck. He is liable.

Although a complicated case to litigate, I would definitely look at that option, should your son face some charges and/or issues in this case.

Bigdad013
02-21-2015, 09:59 PM
From everything as stated, I would think the driver that hit your sons truck will be liable for the damage to his vehicle. Police reports filed? Any charges laid against either driver?

Cheyenne 1
02-21-2015, 10:35 PM
The logging truck didn't stop. The boy said he was on his radio yelling at the guy but he didnt stop or say anything
He has called the RCMP and left a mesage they werent in. He is pretty upset about the whole thing and with it being the weekend doesnt help much. He called his insurance company being young he doesnt understand everythng.
I saw the pics of his truck and it looks to me like its a write off. His truck is a pretty new super duty. His main concern is it will be covered.

Are there different rules for private roads?

Thanks for all the information.

EZM
02-21-2015, 11:12 PM
The logging truck didn't stop. The boy said he was on his radio yelling at the guy but he didnt stop or say anything
He has called the RCMP and left a mesage they werent in. He is pretty upset about the whole thing and with it being the weekend doesnt help much. He called his insurance company being young he doesnt understand everythng.
I saw the pics of his truck and it looks to me like its a write off. His truck is a pretty new super duty. His main concern is it will be covered.

Are there different rules for private roads?

Thanks for all the information.

Transportation and safety rules apply to private roads as does the requirement to be insured ..... this isn't an issue.

Father of five
02-21-2015, 11:22 PM
I've had a few mishaps over the years on private roads and this is what happened each time
Private road = no fault = I paid 100% of the deductible

RCMP would not attend the accident as there were no injuries and it was on a private road, I did have to file a report at the RCMP detachment

My insurance covered the repairs

Cheyenne 1
02-21-2015, 11:24 PM
Transportation and safety rules apply to private roads as does the requirement to be insured ..... this isn't an issue.

Thanks for clarifying that. So the boys insurance will pay for it if the other guy's doesn't?? He has never had to deal with this before and is really upset over this as it is an expensive truck. When he talked to his insurance he didn't really understand and was worried about the whole thing.

Thanks

I_forget
02-22-2015, 02:43 AM
I think when driving in the bush you're on your own. Hope your boy has collision.

PGH
02-22-2015, 09:07 AM
First of all, you should call a licensed broker rather than taking advice from an outdoorsmen forum. Explain to a professional and they will advise you.
As an alternative to calling a broker, you can always call the insurance bureau of canada as they can help you too: 1-844-227-5422

But if you don't want to for some reason, here are the options as I see it:

1) you really should get a police report to file a claim and make sure it says your boy was not at fault. it will speed up the process

2) if you have collision and comp on the policy which the vehicle was insured, you can file a claim with your company. they won't penalize you for this because they will recover the claim from the other guys company.

3) if you don't have collision and comp, you should still be ok. you can file the claim against the insurance of the guy who hit you under his third party liability. you'll need his policy number and company name; the reason being is that the driver who hit your boys truck hit a parked vehicle and your boy is not at fault - as long as the police report proves he was not at fault

Weedy1
02-22-2015, 10:14 AM
I've had a few mishaps over the years on private roads and this is what happened each time
Private road = no fault = I paid 100% of the deductible

RCMP would not attend the accident as there were no injuries and it was on a private road, I did have to file a report at the RCMP detachment

My insurance covered the repairs

Are you implying that if in an accident on a private road, no matter who is at fault, the insurance companies will adjudicate it as a no fault accident for both parties?

ArtG
02-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Your best bet is to call your insurance broker and ask them the questions. From my little knowledge there might be a issue since insurance companies love loop hole and any excuse not to pay. So the issue I see is the truck wasn't on the "road" and so your insurance might refuse to cover it. I know farmers have the same issue while driving farm vehicle on the shoulder. If they get into a accident the insurance refuses to pay because the vehicle wasn't on the "road". Its why most farmers now just drive on the road instead of the shoulder.

Like it was stated earlier call the broker and talk to them you don't need to file a claim. As long as you don't file a claim its all good.

Sooner
02-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Best bet is have your son make a claim with his Insurance company. They will get the process going and decide if they are going after the other guys insurance for their reimbursement of costs. Meanwhile your sons truck gets fixed. Let them fight it out. Worst case is if they decide 50/50 fault and he pays his deductible and the other guy pays a deductible. Seems pretty cut and dry that your son is not at fault but Insurance companies like the 50/50 rule unfortunately. Hopefully his Insurance adjuster will not go that route and put up a stink to get all their funds back. Brokers are very good for answering questions but it is your insurance adjuster that has the answers and in the end, the final say.

Good luck to your son

chuck0039
02-23-2015, 09:19 AM
If he was completely off the road ..... you should have no worries. The other's guys insurance will likely pay for the damages. Contact the police, they were obviously on the scene.

Did the logging truck stop? If you got his information, in fact, he would be responsible for running you off the road in the first place and disabling your vehicle.

Whether or not he ran you off the road and 10 seconds later some hit you or the next day someone hit you (and having reasonably attempted to remove your damaged vehicle) the root cause is the logging truck. He is liable.

Although a complicated case to litigate, I would definitely look at that option, should your son face some charges and/or issues in this case.

From my understanding and depends on who owns the road. If he was on a logging road owned by one of the mills, then the log truck will not be held liable as Log trucks have the right away. it is the responsibility of people using private roads to move out of the way when the private road is actively used and listen to the chatter on the radios to know when a truck is coming.

That is Just from what I have been told when I use private logging roads. The Logging truck should have stopped to see if the driver was ok though. Pretty Crappy outcome. Glad nobody was hurt.

Father of five
02-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Are you implying that if in an accident on a private road, no matter who is at fault, the insurance companies will adjudicate it as a no fault accident for both parties?

Yes that's what has happened to me

Cheyenne 1
02-23-2015, 09:48 PM
First of all, you should call a licensed broker rather than taking advice from an outdoorsmen forum. Explain to a professional and they will advise you.
As an alternative to calling a broker, you can always call the insurance bureau of canada as they can help you too: 1-844-227-5422

But if you don't want to for some reason, here are the options as I see it:

1) you really should get a police report to file a claim and make sure it says your boy was not at fault. it will speed up the process

2) if you have collision and comp on the policy which the vehicle was insured, you can file a claim with your company. they won't penalize you for this because they will recover the claim from the other guys company.

3) if you don't have collision and comp, you should still be ok. you can file the claim against the insurance of the guy who hit you under his third party liability. you'll need his policy number and company name; the reason being is that the driver who hit your boys truck hit a parked vehicle and your boy is not at fault - as long as the police report proves he was not at fault

Ok Thanks. The reason I asked on here was because he could not get a hold of his insurance broker to report it or find out what he should do as it was the weekend.
He called the RCMP several times and left messages. They did not return his calls.
So he has a pretty new super duty sitting in the ditch not driveable and the towing company wont touch it as there was tape all around the scene. That was why he was concerned. I asked on here cause in Manitoba we have public insurance/no fault and there aren't many choices. And he had no idea how his Alberta insurance worked.
Keep in mind this isn't a fender bender. I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't a right off. The truck that hit him had a slip tank in the back of the truck, it hit so hard that the pump broke off and it went through the back window and hit the drivers seat. So when your talking a 40 grand plus truck it gets a little stressful. And he also needs it for work.

So the good news is its Monday and everyone returned his calls finally. RCMP already had the accident report. Because his vehicle wasn't in motion it was obviously not his fault so it fully covered. Now he just has to wait for an adjuster to look at it and see.

Thanks again

Bound2Fish
02-23-2015, 09:49 PM

x2, also had that happen to me. Was told by the police and insurance that each party was responsible for their own vehicles even though he was at fault. Police did not even bother to show up at the scene. This was also on a logging road. I hope you have better luck than I did, but luckily I was driving a company truck.

Weedy1
02-27-2015, 06:07 PM

x2, also had that happen to me. Was told by the police and insurance that each party was responsible for their own vehicles even though he was at fault. Police did not even bother to show up at the scene. This was also on a logging road. I hope you have better luck than I did, but luckily I was driving a company truck.

Were your rates affected by these accidents?