PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Trailer Auctions?

iliketrout
02-22-2015, 01:06 PM
Anyone know if there are any auctions that have cargo trailers in/around Calgary? Not finding what I want, in my price range, on Kijiji.

Thanks!

Dacotensis
02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
What exactly do you want and what's your price range?
So many options with enclosed trailers.

iliketrout
02-22-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm looking to build a mobile ice fishing shack/hunting trailer out of it if I can find the right starter trailer at the right cost. I'm thinking 7x16 or something close. 16' long is a minimum because I want to be able to put 2 quads in it. Dual axle also a must. Everything else that I want to add, i.e. electrical, insulation, and heater I will take care of myself.

I don't want anything new because I'm just going to be running it down gravel roads, but there seems to be a lack of used trailers online in the price range I am looking for. Everything used seems to be fairly new, ideally I am looking for something older but still in decent shape. It doesn't have to be dent or scratch free, but I'm also not looking for a POS either.

Cargo trailers seem to hold their value very well, and many of the used ones are close to the price of a new one, and more spendy than my budget will allow.

wildside2014
02-22-2015, 05:58 PM
My day job is in the cargo trailer industry. Cargo trailers DONT hold their value. Basically its 25% off listed retail, and 10% every year after that as far as age goes. Guys finance a lot of cargo trailers and figure their final finance amount is the starting point of the market value of the trailer.....which is ridulous.

For your purpose. A 2015 cargo trailer in a 7x16 will retail at around, (for an upgraded model that is with plywood sidewalls) $8300 with the US exchange right now. After that same trailer is a year old, whether its been pulled 1km or 100, its market value will be around 6300. Every year it gets older you subtract 10% of that number. Guys overvalue their cargos waaaaay too often.

iliketrout
02-22-2015, 06:14 PM
My day job is in the cargo trailer industry. Cargo trailers DONT hold their value. Basically its 25% off listed retail, and 10% every year after that as far as age goes. Guys finance a lot of cargo trailers and figure their final finance amount is the starting point of the market value of the trailer.....which is ridulous.

For your purpose. A 2015 cargo trailer in a 7x16 will retail at around, (for an upgraded model that is with plywood sidewalls) $8300 with the US exchange right now. After that same trailer is a year old, whether its been pulled 1km or 100, its market value will be around 6300. Every year it gets older you subtract 10% of that number. Guys overvalue their cargos waaaaay too often.

Thanks for the input on the numbers. I am definitely seeing the over valuation. For example online, a 2004 is listed at $4800. By your numbers I'm calculating around $2500. I'm willing to go a little higher than that, but not much and certainly not $4800.

The Fisherman Guy
02-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Perhaps Wildside2014 is able to make you a customer, that would be ideal.

Dacotensis
02-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Op.
You will never find a 16' that is 10-15 years old for $2500.
At a minimum, start at $4500.
It would be an extreme rare minimum chance that you would ever find one for less. More than likely you will spend more.
For a 16' with light duty 3500lb tandem axles you might get one in the 4500 range. But again rare.
You are willing to do some work on insulating etc so you might save a bit if you do find a bare bones one.
It would be more common to find a 14' in that price range.
$4k ones at 14' sell fast. Like don't blink... Year doesn't seem to matter.

If you are into doing new outer panel repairs, you might find a cheap one.
Those ones are typically rusted out along the bottom.
When aluminum meets metal, bad things happen. So be on the lookout for aluminum rotting away.
Also, tires arent cheap so look for ones that you don't have to replace right away. Take their condition into consideration as well.

Be prepared to spend 5-7k if you want it now.
Although, the next couple months could see a flood of toys hitting the market.
Maybe be patient and see what happens.

Sounds like a fun project you are undertaking.
Good luck.

CanuckShooter
02-22-2015, 07:32 PM
I went through the same process, in the end I just bought a flat deck and put a slide in camper on it. By the time you factor in the cost of the cargo trailer, with the necessary upgrades [insulation, heat, fridge, sleeping quarters, lights, flooring, smoke and other alarms etc etc] the cost just becomes too prohibitive.

Good luck with your search anyway. :)

anthony5
02-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Try Phil at Magnum Trailer Sales in Nanton. 1 403 646 6237

iliketrout
02-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Op.
You will never find a 16' that is 10-15 years old for $2500.
At a minimum, start at $4500.
It would be an extreme rare minimum chance that you would ever find one for less. More than likely you will spend more.
For a 16' with light duty 3500lb tandem axles you might get one in the 4500 range. But again rare.
You are willing to do some work on insulating etc so you might save a bit if you do find a bare bones one.
It would be more common to find a 14' in that price range.
$4k ones at 14' sell fast. Like don't blink... Year doesn't seem to matter.

If you are into doing new outer panel repairs, you might find a cheap one.
Those ones are typically rusted out along the bottom.
When aluminum meets metal, bad things happen. So be on the lookout for aluminum rotting away.
Also, tires arent cheap so look for ones that you don't have to replace right away. Take their condition into consideration as well.

Be prepared to spend 5-7k if you want it now.
Although, the next couple months could see a flood of toys hitting the market.
Maybe be patient and see what happens.

Sounds like a fun project you are undertaking.
Good luck.

Based on my searching to date I think that you are on the right track. $2500 is admittedly low, but that being said the prices you have stated are higher than I am willing to spend on a trailer that old, especially when you consider it may need tires or other maintenance right away.

I am willing to be very patient, I don't need the trailer until October-ish, and even then if I miss a hunting season but have it for next ice fishing season, that would be ok too.

Thanks for your input, and if I find the right starter trailer I will post pics of the build.