PDA

View Full Version : Goin to Yellowknife

wildside2014
02-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Well, in a week and a half i head North to Yellowknife with the crew from our show to film two episodes. Ive never been up there and would like to get kind of the 'local feel'. Any good pubs that anyone can recommend? Restaraunts? Bars???

We will be dog sledding, sledding, checking out some ice castle thing and of course....ice fishing. Im gone for 6 days so any recommendations are appreciated!

takeiteasybird
02-22-2015, 04:02 PM
I went on a canoe / fishing / camping trip a few years ago in the Yellowknife area (Hidden lake). It was amazing fishing - never seen big fish like that in my life before!!

I went during the summer so it will be a different experience but I would recommend going to Bullock's Bistro for some great food and atmosphere. I would also visit the "Old Town" part of Yellowknife - The Pilot Monument is a great view point and you will definitely have the "local feel" in this area. Great friendly people as well...

Have fun on your trip! I can't wait to go there gain as it was a great experience.

Talking moose
02-22-2015, 04:03 PM
Check out the "wild cat cafe". It's a must see. Last time I was up there, you could order caribou, lake trout.....etc.

Talking moose
02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/70e06840e5da81714eed1f6311edb460.jpg

wildside2014
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Thats exactly the kind of stuff i was hoping to hear boys.

We will be making another trip up in july so we will get the sunmer experience too.

Talkingn moose i will for sure check out your recommendation of the wildcat. It looks exactly like i hoped it would!!!

And takeiteasybird we will for sure check out old yellowknife. We are appearing in a yellowknife promotional video for the city so im guessing that will be part of it.

Sushi
02-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Last time I was up there almost 15 yrs ago, the explorer hotel lunch buffet had caribou, artic char, and other incredible food at a decent price, or order off the menu. Loved it up there.

Ceilidh69
02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Bullocks and Wildcat are good. Sometimes Explorer will have good sushi. I saw Buffalo Joe walking through the airport when I was there last year.

dcutter
02-22-2015, 05:28 PM
I live there for two years, and as has already been said - Wildcat cafe (check and see if it is open though). They just did a major renovation and it may not be open during the winter months. Bullocks Bistro is an awesome restaurant, but it is pretty pricey. Fish is great there, and I would give my left "one" to have their recipe for tartar sauce.

The Raven is the local dive bar. Food is good there too.

Hit the Explorer for the Sunday brunch smorg. It'll make it worth the trip.

Reach out to Tundra Monkey on this board as he still lives up there.

Forgot the Black Knight! Great pub food and normally live entertainment with local bands.

35 whelen
02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
REALY COOL sporting goods store there ,forget the name but its a big halfmoon steel building .

dcutter
02-22-2015, 05:35 PM
REALY COOL sporting goods store there ,forget the name but its a big halfmoon steel building .

Weaver and Devore

http://weaverdevore.ca/

58thecat
02-22-2015, 05:41 PM
I want to make a run up there on my motorbike someday soon...:)

35 whelen
02-22-2015, 05:42 PM
That's the one, used to have good selection of old hickory knifes there,

Bigwoodsman
02-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Check out the Gold Range Hotel. Locals call it the Strange Range, the place always had live entertainment and even a band on the weekends. The stage had chicken wire hanging down in front to protect the musicians.

We used to go there when our ice road hauling seasons were done to celebrate. Most of us had worked 3 plus months straight and hadn't had a drink in that time.

Check out the museum as well. The float plane base will be froze over but they're some cool shops around old town. The winter carnival is coming up and is good for a chuckle. I'm not sure they still have it but they used to run an ugly truck and dog contest.

Have fun while in YK

BW

Talking moose
02-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Take a drive down to Yellowknife bay and check out all the hippys that live on the ice and water to avoid paying taxes... Quite a few houseboats and shacks out on the bay....

220swifty
02-22-2015, 08:54 PM
That's the one, used to have good selection of old hickory knifes there,

Wouldn't call it a sporting goods store though. It's really one of the last true general stores. Good place to go for some bear bangers, a pack of smokes and a loaf of bread. Worth stopping at for sure though. If you see a bald guy in glasses, tell him the cowboy says hi. I took his best cashier and made her my wife.

wcbarker
02-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Ice Lake Rebels watch it on tv

Tundra Monkey
02-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Any good pubs that anyone can recommend? Restaraunts? Bars???

Hmm....Ya sound like my kinda guy lol

I'll pm ya my number.

nast70
02-23-2015, 07:27 AM
I took the family there 2 winters ago. Most of the must sees have been mentioned except taking a drive out of town. We took the ice road to De Tah. That was cool. We also took a hike to see a waterfall in it's frozen state, but had to turn back.
Miss that candied char...

nast70
02-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Bing a camera and get some pics of the Northern Lights

TippyCanoe
02-23-2015, 10:13 AM
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Canada/Northwest_Territories/Yellowknife-902603/Restaurants-Yellowknife-TG-C-1.html

Wild Cat and Bullocks for sure. Don't miss out on either. The above link will give you a few other ideas.

dgrimard
02-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Well I am currently working up there, The Black Knight pub is a definate must see /eat for sure. I would also have to say that the Char fish and chips at the Explorer hotel is great. Wild Cat Cafe won't be open since it is a summer thing only. Bollocks maybe open not sure have only been there twice and both times were summer.
As for other things to do at night definatly go for a drive up the north road. Be carefull know as ice road season is in effect and it can be busy, but to go up there and check out the Northern lights is pretty cool ( if you whistle at them they dance more hahaha)
the Gold Range Bistro for breakfast is good too.
There is lots I am forgetting but it is one of my favorite places.
And bring warm clothes it will be cold ahhaha
thanks for listening derek

Supermag
02-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Best fish I ever had in my life was at Bullocks.

If it's good other places, eat it up!

Char! Char! Char! Char!

Soooooooo goood.

I like it here too, but it was so much better up there

Headdamage
02-23-2015, 09:40 PM
Wildcat is closed in the winter. Bullocks is good but might confuse you at first. Watch out for the dog **** depending on where you go and the ravens will rob you in a second if you let them, they are crafty bastards. One of the more fun things to do in the winter is to take a drive on the ice roads, aurora village is good to. STIs/STDs are rampant up here so keep it in your pants ;)

Arctic
02-26-2015, 12:05 PM
here's what you want,
http://lifeinthefoodlane.com/2015/02/yellowknife-snow-castle-lake-fish.html

wildside2014
02-26-2015, 12:23 PM
here's what you want,
http://lifeinthefoodlane.com/2015/02/yellowknife-snow-castle-lake-fish.html

Actually we are taking part in a Yellowknife promotional video shoot at the ice castle on Wednesday I believe so we will already be there!

SBE2
02-26-2015, 12:39 PM
If you can make it up there in September, it's worth the trip for some duck hunting for sure. We shot 12 species of ducks and at the time the limit for Canadian residents was 20/day, about 10yrs ago. When the buffleheads and goldeneyes were decoying to a couple strings of diver decoys off of a point you couldn't load fast enough, literally. Was a blast, and the Inuit ladies that worked at the lodge used all of the ducks if that was your choice. It was through a cast and blast trip I won in auction through a DU dinner. The fishing sucked hard in September though.

wildside2014
02-26-2015, 02:03 PM
If you can make it up there in September, it's worth the trip for some duck hunting for sure. We shot 12 species of ducks and at the time the limit for Canadian residents was 20/day, about 10yrs ago. When the buffleheads and goldeneyes were decoying to a couple strings of diver decoys off of a point you couldn't load fast enough, literally. Was a blast, and the Inuit ladies that worked at the lodge used all of the ducks if that was your choice. It was through a cast and blast trip I won in auction through a DU dinner. The fishing sucked hard in September though.

Bah, the only reason we are going up is to film a couple of shows and using a guiding service is what we are trying to stay away from. As far as I know now you have to have a guiding service take you hunting up there

Fisherpeak
02-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Timely post,my wife is going up there in early may for a wedding or something,maybe a friends kids grad,I never listen,she would really appreciate any input you guys have about the place.She want`s to meet the guys from the T.V. show.Ice pilots ?

wildside2014
02-26-2015, 02:15 PM
Timely post,my wife is going up there in early may for a wedding or something,maybe a friends kids grad,I never listen,she would really appreciate any input you guys have about the place.She want`s to meet the guys from the T.V. show.Ice pilots ?

Buffalo air flied our production crew around and Mikey from the show will hopefully be making an appearance on our show this year too! seem like pretty good guys.

Headdamage
02-26-2015, 03:17 PM
The snow castle is built out of wood then they put snow/ice on to cover the wood. Still looks cool though.

Jack&7
02-26-2015, 04:12 PM
The Black Knight....was quite the place! I may have had a drink or 20 there.

Awesome good time! And if you go, please look hard above the bar for a set of silver crossed axes that say "CFD Honour Guard". I put those there after going up to YK for a line of duty funeral in 2005. I hope they are still there.

Tundra Monkey
02-26-2015, 04:18 PM
The Black Knight....was quite the place! I may have had a drink or 20 there.

Awesome good time! And if you go, please look hard above the bar for a set of silver crossed axes that say "CFD Honour Guard". I put those there after going up to YK for a line of duty funeral in 2005. I hope they are still there.

Heart felt thanx to you again Sir.....both for what you do and especially for how you made my mother feel when I lost my house here........and yes, they are still there. I toast you with my first drink every I'm there.....which is way too often if you ask my Wife :shake2:

220swifty
02-26-2015, 04:27 PM
I'll also be there from the 12-15 for my sister in law's wedding. I will let you local guys know if I can escape my 'free labour ' role in the festivities long enough to grab a drink.

madluk18
02-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Send me a PM wildside!

Jack&7
02-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Heart felt thanx to you again Sir.....both for what you do and especially for how you made my mother feel when I lost my house here........and yes, they are still there. I toast you with my first drink every I'm there.....which is way too often if you ask my Wife :shake2:

Thanks, TM!

...and maybe someday we can have a sip or two while leaning on that bar. If we have enough, we might have to lean a little harder than normal!

I dunno what it was about YK, but that trip has always stuck with me. The people were great, it was colder than H-E-double hockey sticks, and the fun we had at that pub was epic. There was also a trip to a really cool ice castle built out on the water. Even the flight home was a good memory. I asked the ladies if I could do the boarding announcement before we got on the plane and they obliged (think something along the lines of Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam). We had bagpipes playing in the airport and even during the flight at 30,000 feet. We may have broken some Transport Canada rules...but everyone loved it. And the girls on Canadian North airlines were very cool...love that airline.

My only regret was that as we flew away, I knew there was some amazing fishing that I was sooooo close to doing, but just couldn't work it into the schedule. So I promised that someday I would head back and wet a line...