PDA

View Full Version : just dont know what to do.....

toad
02-22-2015, 09:19 PM
So i given the "patch" a fair shot i think. Im just not happy... ive only cemented (besides seismic in '98) but ive done it since last January so just over a year. Not long but long enough. The company is great and most of the guys are too but its just not my thing or anything else out here really. Ive seen lots of jobs and not one jumps at me....most have to much ass time for me....i was expecting to come out and work hard and that hasn't been the case...no offence, but i dont see much either....there some long days and cold weather also some high pace situations, but they dont last long or many hands make the job easy.
The company has treated me and paid pretty well, we have also stayed busy while others haven't. But I haven't made the money i wanted too. I can see theres money in the future but i dont want to be here that long. (Home is a hour or so west of banff)
I wont quit untill break up.... which is only a couple hitches away....
I dont like the unhealthy lifestyle.....eating out of gas stations fast foods or the temptations of all the camp foods...i know some guys do well at sticking to it out here but i haven't....i had a routine before of shakes for bfast then a run and ride then off to the gym.....that is non existent out here....and ive paid the price....

I have sorta a opportunity to apprentice as a electrician(kinda a pity thing thru a friend because he knows im not happy and to get me home) but im 36 yrs old and feel i might be to old to start.....but i think if i was to go and do that (back to school) would i like to become a HD mechanic instead....i do enjoy working on my truck....just dont know what to do, stay and be miserable, puss out and pack my bags....

I haven't quit yet alberta...just venting right now because ive been stuck in camp for days.....thanks for all the experiences...

HalfBreed
02-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Live happy I always say.

zero
02-22-2015, 09:32 PM
So i given the "patch" a fair shot i think. Im just not happy... ive only cemented (besides seismic in '98) but ive done it since last January so just over a year.

cementers.... thats your problem, you work for what.... trican? switch over to service rigs or drilling rigs for a little while, if you can get on that is.

time to nut up or shut up!

but really, a year is pretty good for a bc'er.. most puss out wayyyy before that.

chewydog
02-22-2015, 09:36 PM
I've been doing the patch for 25 years and it's been good to me. Too many people try it and it's poor me poor me. If you don't like the job your doing is it the patches fault? Hardly, look in the mirror. Just saying.

LJalberta
02-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Never too old to start something new. I work for a rail company, and some of the better guys here are coming over in their 30s and 40s from completely different industries.

Red Bullets
02-22-2015, 09:53 PM
School goes by in a flash. Before you know you are done. And in the trades you are only in school a few months of the year. You might like working on your truck but do you want to do heavy physical work as you get older. My brother has been a HD mech for 40 years and he is really suffering now. Lots of interesting trades to consider. Look at what is needed in the area you live.

Hydro1
02-22-2015, 09:55 PM
If you arent happy dont do it.
Find something your happy doing and stick to it.

rugatika
02-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Patch life isn't for everyone. Some people thrive on a schedule as you appeared to have done in the past. Schedule is hard to keep in the patch as you have found out. We go through lots of guys that start out as great workers, but being away from home, hotels, etc takes it's toll.

36 is pretty young by the way. If you ain't happy now, it ain't gonna get better.

lilsundance
02-22-2015, 10:05 PM
I got my Parts tech red seal 6 years ago. I just turned 57 last week. One is never to old to learn a new trade or go back to school. In my life time I have been a grocery clerk, hardware clerk/supervisor. Then spent 11 years building bridges for Alberta Transportation before privatization. Spent almost 6 years as an equipment operator for a highways maint contractor, 3 years as a wrecker pulling parts off highway tractors then got a job as a warehouseman with my present company and worked my way up to getting an apprenticeship and getting my red seal. I have been with this company 11 years now. If you don't like doing what your doing there is always something else you can do if you put your mind to it and take a chance.

omega50
02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
It is never to late to be unhappy doing something else

hayseed
02-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Right now, if you are "stuck in camp " ... meaning a paycheck, room an board, man tuff it out, soon there will be nothing, in the patch per say until September.

Stick with it....

skidderman
02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
It's a long life to be unhappy. Try to figure out what it is you like and go for it.

masalma
02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Have friends that work in the oil field, minus the time away they still maintain same level of activity, one comes and sleeps over whenever he is working on a close by rig. Has a stationary bike on the back of his truck and a cooler full of fresh food, takes them where ever he goes. Gets his exercise in, wakes up before his shift and goes for a run, works out on site and cooks his own food.

In the end it is what you make it. Just be thankful that you have a job, lots of guys are wishing they had your problem right now.

And I always believed that your destiny is in your hands, especially being young (maybe single and no kids). If you don't like where you are at and where you are heading, do something about it, sky is the limit.

flint guy
02-22-2015, 11:57 PM
I learned long ago being away from home is not for everybody, and time changes most things. I looked back on my current job, and realized it was a very good job, but seems not for me. Took a layoff to see in my case, you friend have figured it out on you own. I go to work feeling dismal but convinced of its normality, and over time couldn't decipher if it was my doing or not. My health may be suffering, my attitude and overall we'll being has no doubt. Point is like others said, if your unhappy that won't change unless you take the initiative.
Tough out the season, and prepare financially for down time. Try the electrician thing, if you don't have to commit. I suggest caution working under friends, sometimes it's awkward. Talk to your employer and see if they have another option for you. Try to relate to past career moves and how the transition was for you. Decide what is and was good and bad for your lifestyle mentally physically and financially, take that and make it a tool in your deduction. I am a BC boy, and same age as you and am trying to stay positive admits a rough patch and career move with no friends or family It's hard. That taught me not to dwell, as I'm sure you do stuck in camp away from a more favourable routine. Being alone with your thoughts of contempt can be an impairing process when searching for a broader view. Perhaps time off over breakup will change your mind. Look to the support and options available to you and make use of that, and there advice. There is no better resource than who you know, as they see you differently as a you see yourself which can be insightful. For myself the difficult part was leading my brain to breaking my current thought process, and intern the light bulb started to come on. Remind yourself emotion leads to reactive decisions. Do your thinking in a happy place, like time off, not bored sitting at work in a slow spell. Try writing down your key thoughts, reflection is often made easier to navigate in black and white point form... Like being reminded of a forgotten yet valid point when stuck on another.
I wish you the best of luck.

drhu22
02-23-2015, 01:53 AM
So i given the "patch" a fair shot i think. Im just not happy... ive only cemented (besides seismic in '98) but ive done it since last January so just over a year. Not long but long enough. The company is great and most of the guys are too but its just not my thing or anything else out here really. Ive seen lots of jobs and not one jumps at me....most have to much ass time for me....i was expecting to come out and work hard and that hasn't been the case...no offence, but i dont see much either....there some long days and cold weather also some high pace situations, but they dont last long or many hands make the job easy.
The company has treated me and paid pretty well, we have also stayed busy while others haven't. But I haven't made the money i wanted too. I can see theres money in the future but i dont want to be here that long. (Home is a hour or so west of banff)
I dont like the unhealthy lifestyle.....eating out of gas stations fast foods or the temptations of all the camp foods...i know some guys do well at sticking to it out here but i haven't....i had a routine before of shakes for bfast then a run and ride then off to the gym.....that is non existent out here....and ive paid the price....

I have sorta a opportunity to apprentice as a electrician(kinda a pity thing thru a friend because he knows im not happy and to get me home) but im 36 yrs old and feel i might be to old to start.....but i think if i was to go and do that (back to school) would i like to become a HD mechanic instead....i do enjoy working on my truck....just dont know what to do, stay and be miserable, puss out and pack my bags....

I haven't quit yet alberta...just venting right now because ive been stuck in camp for days.....thanks for all the experiences...

The main thing is, go into what gives back in terms of satisfaction. Everyone is different.
Just start... if the first step is a mis step, so what its just learning (easy for me to say).

sns2
02-23-2015, 07:27 AM

I was 36 when I went back to university to become a teacher. Best move I ever made. I had two kids and a mortgage. It can be done. Life is too short to hate what you are doing for 8 hrs+ per day.

Think NAIT or SAIT my friend. That way you will get a job when you are done.

norwestalta
02-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day.
At 42 I'm still trying to figure it out. Like my job but I'm sure there's something better.

AB2506
02-23-2015, 08:11 AM
My friend went and apprenticed as a plumber when he was over 40 and had 5 kids. I would take an offer of an apprentice if I were you.

densa44
02-23-2015, 08:17 AM
"If you want to be happy for a day, buy a bottle of wine, if you want to be happy for 2 years, get married, if you want to be happy for life, make your avocation your vocation!" Confucius 500 BC.

You are not too old for school! Be a HD mechanic.

Drewski Canuck
02-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Soooo,

What did you do up to age 34? You only worked a year in the Patch, and obviously, came because you did not like what you were doing up to now, and you like the money but you want more money, but without the hardship.... so you obviously did not have enough money before, but had a fast paced low paying job that let you go to the gym???

I warn my school age children about just this situation. Drifting around, no job skills, going for the money without understanding why, and now you want to find yourself in some fast paced high paying job without any job skills? In an Urban setting???

The answer is obvious, politician or bank CEO.

But really, the problem is not the patch, it is you. There is a line up of guys who will take your job right now. All you have is money, and understand what you are to do with it. Not blow it, but put it away to ensure that you can afford a house, car, wife, children, etc.

If you really have not figured out your lack of job skills is an impediment to your future at your age, you are truly in trouble.

Drewski