PDA

View Full Version : Most successful lures

Mountain Adventurer
02-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Just wondering what people have had the best success rate using. The lures I've had the most Luck with are Len Thompson #5 for rivers and lakes and two different rapala fat raps for lakes, a brite green for sunny days and a dark orange for shady days. And I don't mind the odd berkley tri worm here and there. Whats your favorites?

flint guy
02-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Yellow with red five of diamonds, white or black leech patterns, and wedding band in that order. I have caught more fish with those in species, location, technique, and size than most of my other tackle combined, ice and open water. The fact I almost always catch a fish with one of those makes them my favorites.

Less successful lures can be more fun to fish, eg my addiction to dry flies and new found clacking rap everything.

trophyhunter
02-23-2015, 05:52 AM
Yellow with red five of diamonds, white or black leech patterns, and wedding band in that order. I have caught more fish with those in species, location, technique, and size than most of my other tackle combined, ice and open water. The fact I almost always catch a fish with one of those makes them my favorites.

Less successful lures can be more fun to fish, eg my addiction to dry flies and new found clacking rap everything.

x2 have always done well with Lenny spoons of all sizes, Clackers are killing it! if all else fails....the mighty jig and minnow.

chriscosta
02-23-2015, 07:08 AM
Smaller gold bladed panther martin always works for almost any fish as long as its tipped with the right bait ..for pike its hard to beat the blue n silver .. or gold .. x rap slashbait

SKSniper
02-23-2015, 07:39 AM
Red and white Len Thompson for me in the summer. This winter I have been nailing pike on a Rapala X-Rap slashbait, I drilled small holes in the plastic bill that comes out of the front and tied a little weight there to make his head sink, it looks like a feeding fish on the bottom. It's pretty cool watching the pike slowly sneak up from behind it then nail it all of a sudden.

Rattlin Raps are also a very good lure, more so in the summer I find but I have gotten a few on them in the winter.

Cory1
02-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Mepps Cyclops spoons are my go to on open water, tough to beat thier action.

Winter is a Hex Wobbler 5/8 oz jigging spoon is most productive for me in a pink faded pattern for pike and walleye. Smaller size in fire tiger for perch.

1bluZebec
02-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Another one for 5 of diamonds!!!

CenterPin
02-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Haha the alberta special strikes again!

Talking moose
02-23-2015, 11:55 PM
White jig.

Duster
02-24-2015, 06:51 AM
8 to 10 inch vipers. Nothing like turning big blades for massive pike.

Dale S
02-24-2015, 07:02 AM
In open water my go to lure is 3/8 jighead tipped with a fresh minnow.
On the ice it has to be the 5 of Diamonds.

JohninAB
02-24-2015, 08:17 AM
For me, I seem to use a lot of different Rapala/LiveTarget lures when fishing soft water. One I use consistently is a number 7 Clackin Rap in Helsinki Shad when anchored and casting. Seems to work consistently where I fish.

Winter time, I use a bare hook mostly. Gamakatsu treble with a smelt for pike, small Gamakatsu circle hook (size 10 or 12) with a maggot for perch.

Always looking for the next great thing though.

ETOWNCANUCK
02-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Gold Len Thompson spoon

linger
02-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Len thompson spoons and call me old fashion but twister tails and shads:)

blgoodbrand1
02-24-2015, 06:17 PM
5 of Diamonds Len Thompson. I've probably caught at least one of every species of fish that I've caught on one. From grayling to perch, pike to rainbows.

Squidlips
02-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Love pike, lots of luck with rattlin rapala Fire tiger color and jointed minnow pike color

58thecat
02-25-2015, 07:05 AM
:sHa_shakeshout:Another one for 5 of diamonds!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

drhu22
02-25-2015, 02:49 PM
x2 have always done well with Lenny spoons of all sizes, Clackers are killing it! if all else fails....the mighty jig and minnow.

Not everyone knows what a Lenny spoon (Len Thompson spoon) is...
5 of diamonds seems to be popular, but the red and white has worked well for me also. Keep some of each in different sizes, as well as some with paint sanded off... gives a nice opaque effect.
Im thinking with an eye or two......

ROA
02-25-2015, 03:48 PM
My go to is the rapala husky jerk in fire tiger or clown colours. Works good trolling or even better casting with a reel and stop style. If I can't catch pike or walleye on that then I know it's going to be a slow day with lots of trial and error

CanuckShooter
02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Lure Jensen T-50 and T-60 for char...wedding bands and 1" to 3" flatfish in different colours for rainbows, by far the flatfish has been the most productive.

T-50 in the picture, I couldn't find any in the stores in Edmonton....

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/fishing%20for%20life/fishing05035.jpg (http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/jim13135/media/fishing%20for%20life/fishing05035.jpg.html)

PerchBuster
02-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Black and Orange 1/8 to 1/4 oz jig (BassPro has them) tipped with a jumbo Leech or a Minnow is killer on Eyes and sharks!

Big Turk
02-25-2015, 10:08 PM
Trout - Stream Fishing
Panther Martin - Yellow bodied Beetle
Kamlooper Spoon - Gold with Brown
Blue Fox - Vibrax

Trout - River
Buzz Bomb
Rapala Countdown - CD7

Pike/Walleye in Lake
Rapala X-rap
Rattling Rapala

Bass
Wacky Worm
Drop Shot with Shad

cranky
02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
You can catch about any fish around here with a variety of sizes of "5 of diamonds" and the same in good old "red n whites" and then a few sizes of jigs and curly tails.

All rate right up there at the top on any "all time top fishing lures ever" list.

Evan83
02-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Jig a whopper Hawger Spoon

Brandonkop
02-26-2015, 08:37 PM
Hard question to ask. Best around lure in every situation, open, ice, river, still... either a chartruese jig and plastic or a spoon like many others were mentioning.

If you cut out ice then I may chose a crankbait like a tail dancer.

PerchBuster
02-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Hard question to ask. Best around lure in every situation, open, ice, river, still... either a chartruese jig and plastic or a spoon like many others were mentioning.

If you cut out ice then I may chose a crankbait like a tail dancer.
I thought you would have voted in the Slender Spoon!

flint guy
02-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Big turk, you must be from bc. First time I have heard anybody mention a buzz bomb since I came to alberta 13 or somyears ago. Used to have a spot on the thompson where we would slay 20"+ bulls in the spring, drifting and jigging. Great for steelies too as a caster, arent you in the area Brandon? Happy to fill ya in for all the great vids you posted.

Brandonkop
02-26-2015, 09:31 PM
I thought you would have voted in the Slender Spoon!

Well I haven't used it much in the summer, so in the winter it is one of the best all round, cross species lure I've used. Comparable to say a kastmaster or cicada. Those are my three favorite on ice jigging lures. If fish are slow then a walleye flasher jig and minnow is hard to beat.

Big turk, you must be from bc. First time I have heard anybody mention a buzz bomb since I came to alberta 13 or somyears ago. Used to have a spot on the thompson where we would slay 20"+ bulls in the spring, drifting and jigging. Great for steelies too as a caster, arent you in the area Brandon? Happy to fill ya in for all the great vids you posted.

I'm in BC now... what area were you talking. I'll be moving into a house in Langley in a couple months. But I go to Kamloops/ Kelowna area if I have time off. Its only 2.5 hours to Merrit, 3 to Kamloops and 4 to Kelowna so not bad, have good access to the whole interior in a few hours and able to fish the fraser runs and get out on the ocean in a couple hours if I have time. I just need more time now to use this location. I would gladly take any help you want to offer up about the area... anywhere in BC doesn't matter to me. Have wheels will travel!

freddy27
02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Double tail jigs for me then the might 5 of diamonds

Stryker2
02-27-2015, 06:51 AM
I'm a newbie at this sport(well relatively anyway) and I find this thread very interesting! And educational I might add. Because I'm a female I tend to gravitate towards lures that I find visually appealing! But I often think just because I like the way they look don't mean the fish will!! LOL!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

cranky
02-27-2015, 08:01 AM
I'm a newbie at this sport(well relatively anyway) and I find this thread very interesting! And educational I might add. Because I'm a female I tend to gravitate towards lures that I find visually appealing! But I often think just because I like the way they look don't mean the fish will!! LOL!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

It has been said that much of the fishing stuff today is designed to catch the fisherman first and fore most.
But it sure is fun browsing the fishing stores anyway.:)

Stryker2
02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
It has been said that much of the fishing stuff today is designed to catch the fisherman first and fore most.
But it sure is fun browsing the fishing stores anyway.:)

Yes you're right about that!! I LOVE IT!!:sHa_shakeshout: