PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Sniper - A Parody

dmac
02-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Kinda funny in a Canadian way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/community/canadian-sniper-is-the-oscar-film-parody-we-ve-all-been-waiting-for-1.2966916

wolf308
02-23-2015, 09:48 AM
oh jeez ...... lmao

airbornedeerhunter
02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
I disagree, personally I though it was entirely idiotic. A pathetic attempt at humour with equally pathetic Canadian stereotypes. What's with that accent? Taken right out the movie Fargo, nobody in Canada talks like that and I have never once heard anyone in Canada say "aboot" as opposed to about.

Secondly, I think it's pretty disrespectful towards the memory of Chris Kyle and towards his widow and children. The man served his country and was murdered by another veteran with PTSD on home soil. Not to mention that is pretty disrespectful towards the military sniper community in this country which is amongst the most highly trained and professional in the world and reduces their achievements to a punchline.

Just my opinion, usually not one to jump on the bandwagon with those who are offended at anything and everything even if it doesn't affect them in any way, shape or form but this just rubbed me the wrong way.

Takemeoutside
02-23-2015, 09:56 AM
I disagree, personally I though it was entirely idiotic. A pathetic attempt at humour with equally pathetic Canadian stereotypes.

You did read the word 'Parody', right?

Battery
02-23-2015, 09:58 AM
I disagree, personally I though it was entirely idiotic. A pathetic attempt at humour with equally pathetic Canadian stereotypes. What's with that accent? Taken right out the movie Fargo, nobody in Canada talks like that and I have never once heard anyone in Canada say "aboot" as opposed to about.

Secondly, I think it's pretty disrespectful towards the memory of Chris Kyle and towards his widow and children. The man served his country and was murdered by another veteran with PTSD on home soil. Not to mention that is pretty disrespectful towards the military sniper community in this country which is amongst the most highly trained and professional in the world and reduces their achievements to a punchline.

Just my opinion, usually not one to jump on the bandwagon with those who are offended at anything and everything even if it doesn't affect them in any way, shape or form but this just rubbed me the wrong way.

If we can't laugh at ourselves as a society, we might as well go the way of the terrorists and start bombing people for drawing a prophet. It's a joke, who cares?

airbornedeerhunter
02-23-2015, 09:59 AM
You did read the word 'Parody', right?

Most definitely, a parody is an exaggeration for comedic effect. Just don't see the humour in making a mockery of this sort of thing.

dmac
02-23-2015, 10:07 AM
No chit. The witch actually shagged the moose in his bed. No respect.

elkdump
02-23-2015, 10:21 AM
I didn't like the story line or the left handed guy shooting a right handed bolt action rifle,,,

Other than that I think it is an example of some of the finest acting I have ever

viewed of a Canadian Movie Production :)

And released so close to the Oscar awards, Ballsey, Really Ballsey :sHa_shakeshout:

Redfrog
02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Most definitely, a parody is an exaggeration for comedic effect. Just don't see the humour in making a mockery of this sort of thing.

X2

But here's the thing .....if you do not find it funny, then you are no better than the terrorists who behead, blow up or burn their victims alive.

"If we can't laugh at ourselves as a society, we might as well go the way of the terrorists and start bombing people for drawing a prophet. It's a joke, who cares?"

It was posted on social media. That invites comment. Not saying the producers don't have the right, just saying IMHO it's stupid and insulting.
YMMV:thinking-006:

Dacotensis
02-23-2015, 10:58 AM
I didn't like the story line or the left handed guy shooting a right handed bolt action rifle,,,

Other than that I think it is an example of some of the finest acting I have ever

viewed of a Canadian Movie Production :)

And released so close to the Oscar awards, Ballsey, Really Ballsey :sHa_shakeshout:

Better than any 3 minutes of chits creek by a long shot.

On another subject, did anyone watch the documentary on Kris Kyle last night?
I think it was On A and E.
Not bad.

HRTNABN
02-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Wish I could say I cracked a smile.

Pretty lame in my opinion.

ex811
02-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Kinda silly, but it might make good show on WildTV.

Slash8
02-23-2015, 12:19 PM
I didn't think it was all that funny myself.

45/70/500
02-23-2015, 12:24 PM
maybe if they would have got Barney Rubbel as the lead actor it would have turned out better , as it was probably paid for by CBC or the taxpayer whoops that's the same guy

Matt L.
02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
That's the thing with humour, it's very subjective. I love well-crafted and delivered puns. Lots of people hate them. It is what it is.

That being said I have not watched the clip yet. I'll give my opinion if/when I do.

HyperMOA
02-23-2015, 01:30 PM
I liked it. When he chugged the 26 of maple syrup was funny. Later he's feeding his baby a bottle of maple syrup. HAHAHAHA.

xxclaro
02-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Yeah the maple syrup drinking and feeding of the cabbage patch doll were pretty funny. People are offended by all sorts of things, I don't waste my time worrying about it.

wasteland.soldier
02-23-2015, 03:32 PM
maybe if they would have got Barney Rubbel as the lead actor it would have turned out better , as it was probably paid for by CBC or the taxpayer whoops that's the same guy

It wasn't. It was made by a couple Americans. Funny how Americans always think that Canadians talk like they're from Minnesota. It's like they can't comprehend a "further north".

As for whether it was offensive or not, I can't say it offended me. I just didn't crack a smile. Watching was kind of a waste of time. But wait.... Then what's posting about it?

walking buffalo
02-23-2015, 05:01 PM
I find this thread funnier than the skit.

The filmmaker is American. His target is America's hyper patriotism.

" You're so vain.... "

bb356
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Stupid

45/70/500
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Stupid

what he said ,I guess that's why I assumed it came from CBC

Skytop B
02-23-2015, 05:59 PM

x10 and I never even watched the clip, and won't give it another hit.

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Tough crowd.

The cabbage patch doll was pure brilliance.

243 wild cat
02-23-2015, 06:36 PM
I can't say it offended me. I just didn't crack a smile. Watching was kind of a waste of my time i think its just a bad tast of humour and i lol it to a its just crap to watch.:rolleye2:

schreyer
02-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Good for a laugh.

wasteland.soldier
02-23-2015, 07:20 PM

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Even a hero can be a Walt.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2015/01/american_sniper_lawsuit_chris_kyle_told_lies_about _jesse_ventura.html

Bergerboy
02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
http://www.salon.com/2015/01/23/7_enormous_lies_american_sniper_is_telling_america _partner/

twofifty
02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
I didn't and won't watch it.

I do however get the sense that some of the offended are unwilling
"to die fighting to protect my right to see it".
The change in operational tempo is duly noted. ;)

Chernobyl Ant
02-23-2015, 08:22 PM
I found it funny.

rugatika
02-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Lame. Overdone. and Lame.

Eh. Aboot. Moose. Maple syrup. Snow. Canada. They completely forgot back bacon, hosers, mounties and beer. This stuff was wore out when the Bob and Doug McKenzie Christmas album came out.

The great thing about this video is that it wasn't made by the CBC and didn't cost me any money. It easily surpasses the writing talent and production quality of 22minutes, which is like saying getting 2% on an exam is twice as good as getting 1%.

Flieguy
02-23-2015, 09:46 PM
I thought it was kinda funny.

If you get offended that easily, then maybe the internet isn't the place for you. :rolleye2:

HyperMOA
02-23-2015, 09:55 PM
Lame. Overdone. and Lame.

Eh. Aboot. Moose. Maple syrup. Snow. Canada. They completely forgot back bacon, hosers, mounties and beer. This stuff was wore out when the Bob and Doug McKenzie Christmas album came out.

Not true. They say on the screen that it was nominated for 6 Canadian Bacon awards. :) Sorry, I had to point that out.

rugatika
02-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Not true. They say on the screen that it was nominated for 6 Canadian Bacon awards. :) Sorry, I had to point that out.

I stand corrected. :)

ice
02-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Wasn't that bad.
Lots of miserable people on here

dumoulin
02-24-2015, 07:43 AM
Solid meh..

Zip
02-24-2015, 07:55 AM
I also never looked at the clip, but I just started reading the book yesterday and so far I would bet my time would be better spent trying to finish the book as it is a pretty interesting read so far..sounds like a bit of mixed feelings on the clip anyway so back to the book for me:)

HRTNABN
02-24-2015, 07:57 AM
....which is like saying getting 2% on an exam is twice as good as getting 1%.

Bravo!

I will now be using this analogy quite a bit.

Thank you good sir.

Luxor
06-14-2015, 07:01 PM

Agreed
I see no parody in the life of Chris Kyle
Its purely disgusting and completely disrespectful to those who have served.
There is nothing funny about war
Its a subject that should only be honored

I am actually reading American Sniper currently
My hats off to men like this
And my deepest thanks and admiration

J0HN_R1
06-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Making a "parody" of American Sniper is like making a parody about the Nathan Cirillo national monument shooting.

Or any of the RCMP shootings, Moncton or Mayerthorpe... It's just bad form.

Zulu9er
06-15-2015, 01:32 PM
making a "parody" of american sniper is like making a parody about the nathan cirillo national monument shooting.

Or any of the rcmp shootings, moncton or mayerthorpe... It's just bad form.

x2 :(