PDA

View Full Version : Anyone spin fish the Bow in winter?

Battery
02-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Really itching to get out into some open water in and around Calgary. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to winter spin fishing the bow?. Does anyone know the ice conditions around the shores?.

FlyTheory
02-23-2015, 11:03 AM
I know people fish the bow in winter with modified brown trout coloured countdown rapalas on ultra light gear. If you have only a single hook on the back, it will give you better hook ups and lower mortality rate. I'm sure marabou jigs under a slip bobber would be good too, you'd just have to adjust it a lot.
Good luck and keep'em wet :)

jacenbeers
02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
The above advice is good. I have done this very successfully every winter. I use CD9 or CD 7 Rapala Countdowns in either the brown trout, rainbow trout or silver minnow pattern. I only really do it if it is now below zero though because it is a pain in the butt to deal with frozen braided line in my reel and in the guides on my rod. On a nice winter day in a good spot on shore that is safe without a shelf of ice, you can hook into some good browns and rainbows from shore. On some days when there are lots of ice chunks floating down it can be pretty annoying but if you can avoid them then you will have some fun.

Battery
02-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Awesome, thanks for the advice!