PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in Fort Mac

pikergolf
02-23-2015, 10:26 AM
Please be careful with all chemicals and follow labeled directions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/8-month-old-dies-after-exposure-to-fumigant-in-fort-mcmurray-1.2967286

Sooner
02-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Super sad, especially when it can be prevented.

bb356
02-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Super sad, especially when it can be prevented.

x2

airbornedeerhunter
02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Illegal pesticide brought from Pakistan to kill bedbugs in the family's apartment. The mother placed the tablets around the apartment and the kids apparently ate them. Attacks the nervous system the same way sarin does.

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Well that's a damn harsh lesson learned.:confused:

Nicevenn
02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Illegal pesticide brought from Pakistan to kill bedbugs in the family's apartment. The mother placed the tablets around the apartment and the kids apparently ate them. Attacks the nervous system the same way sarin does.

This is a terrible story from Fort Mac. Not sure what happened yet and police are still investigating. The mother is also in critical condition as well. I haven't heard anything about non-approved tablets being eaten by children. That wouldn't explain why the mother is ill as well. News reporting a chemical spill. Regardless, this is a tragedy. Let's hope the other children survive.

airbornedeerhunter
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM
This is a terrible story from Fort Mac. Not sure what happened yet and police are still investigating. The mother is also in critical condition as well. I haven't heard anything about non-approved tablets being eaten by children. That wouldn't explain why the mother is ill as well. News reporting a chemical spill. Regardless, this is a tragedy. Let's hope the other children survive.

No spill, phosphine tablets. The other children are critical, the mother is simply under observation as a precaution.

Nicevenn
02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
No spill, phosphine tablets. The other children are critical, the mother is simply under observation as a precaution.

Wow, this could have been even worse with potential for other residents in the building. And yes just caught the part about the tablets being brought in without being caught at the airport in their luggage.
I'm not familiar with this stuff but thought I'd check it out. Here's a link to a U.S., manufacturer's manual for it: http://www.degeschamerica.com/docs/USA/Phostoxin%20Tablet-Pellet%20manual.pdf

Tragic, and really, this could've been any chemical. Just shows the dangers of not knowing or reading directions on usage.

FishingMOM
02-24-2015, 06:07 AM
Levels were 4.0 ppm when they took readings

Apparently accepted readings are 1.0ppm and only for 15 minutes.

connexion123
02-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Come on!!! You think the kids won't touch them?!?!

Sad, but poor judgement too.

Sooner
02-24-2015, 09:31 AM
Now that more info is out it makes me wonder why you think smuggling that stuff in from your home country was better then anything you can buy here. I know bed bugs are a nasty critter to get rid of, especially if they keep coming in from neighbors apartments but what a cost this move has had. 1 child has died, the rest are critical. Could turn out to be one heck of an opps to live with. Moth balls stink up the place, this stuff must have been wicked strong. Tragic mistake.

CaberTosser
02-24-2015, 09:44 AM
Authorities had to contact her relatives in Pakistan to find out what the substance was? :rolleyes: When the story first broke, between the mystery chemical and the 5 kids it seemed apparent to me it would be a family from that region. How could such things make it past airport security? Every single bag coming from over there should be entirely emptied & searched, gas chromatographed, sniffer dogged, etc. Bloody smuggler kills her infant with a noxious chemical, I really feel for those kids of hers. It's a special kind of stupid to poison her family by not protecting them from chemicals she intentionally spread. Imagine her fate if she killed a male child back home............