PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing sonar?

steve
12-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Its finally time for me to buy one of these bad boys. Any reccomendations? Vexilar/Hummingbird/marcum?

Appreciate any input

Unregistered user
12-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I am very happy with this one. http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-products/sonar/500-series/565-portable/prod407100-1.html

TundraBuck
12-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I have a Marcum LX-5, but just recently saw the Humminbird ICE-55 in action and think that may be my next unit.

I am very impressed with my Marcum, though.

You should be fine with anything but vexilar.

Fishin' Fool
12-25-2008, 12:18 PM
You should be fine with anything but vexilar.

I'm curious about that statement. Have you had problems with Vexilar units?

I'm going into my 3rd winter with my Vex FL18 and have no complaints at all. I get good target separation, I can see my wire worm and the perch looking at it clearly(for example), it reads to 200 feet and I really like the bottom zoom feature.

The Marcums have, I believe, an adjustable zoom i.e. you can zoom in on any part of the water column, but I don't think this is vital. The main point of the bottom zoom is so you can better see bottom-hugging fish. Further up in the water column, you should be able to see fish clearly without zoom.

That said, I haven't used the Marcum flashers. I have used the Marcum u/w cams though and they are top-notch, so I believe it's a quality brand.

Steve, I think whatever your choice:
a) you'll love it and wonder how you fished without it and
b) you'll immediately see a newer, more-expensive one that you want:lol:

FF

Alberta Bigbore
12-25-2008, 12:33 PM
nothing wrong with a vexilar. im friends with a pro staffer from Vexilar, but i still went with the Humminbird ICE-55 now wont hit the ice without it. With it...i can zoom in any part of the water column. and have a choice of 3 or 6 colors

Like the saying goes......

Dave Genz couldn't find his pecker without his Vexilar

Alberta Bigbore
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM
and BTW i over heard from some manitoba anglers that some/alot of last years stock of Marcum LX-5's were frying transducers. SOME not all is what im saying.

Dean2
12-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Have two Vexillar FL-8s. One is almost 20 years old, the other is about ten. The 20 year old one has been back to vexillar once for new brushes. Have replaced the battery on it once. The newer one is still running its original battery and has had no repairs. Both have fished 10-12 hours a day, thirty or so days a year.

Just my experience, but have not used the Marcum so unable to compare. Have a Lowrance GPS/Sonar at the helm and a Humminbird in the stern of the boat, have never tried to use either on ice.

For good target seperation, good senstivity, easy adjustments, very good deep reading abd excellent longevity, have been very happy with Vexillar.

TundraBuck
12-25-2008, 01:35 PM
I used to use a Vexilar ten years ago when it's all I could get. After using a marcum, vexilar just does not have the features, power, interference reduction or the toughness (battery life, ability to run as well in -40, etc.)

Like Fishin' Fool said, though, once you fish with one you'll feel handicapped without it.

ragweed
12-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I've used my Vex for about 10 years now and have never had problems fishing in -40 and beyond temps. (And yes...I've been that guy out in -42 or -43 weather)

I haven't used the other manufacturers so I can't really comment on which is better. However from what I see when I'm out there it's Vex or Marcum. The hummingbird users I have seen have all had complaints about their devices. I've never personally heard a single complaint about Vex or Marcums.

walleyeca
12-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I have a marcum LX-3 for sale if you just wanna try it out its a 3 color and Im sure the boys on here will tell you its a superior unit,the catch is I have no battery for it(simple fix and no carrying case or float for in the hole that being said its a 500 unit and Ill let it go real cheap? what do you say?

TundraBuck
12-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a marcum LX-3 for sale if you just wanna try it out its a 3 color and Im sure the boys on here will tell you its a superior unit,the catch is I have no battery for it(simple fix and no carrying case or float for in the hole that being said its a 500 unit and Ill let it go real cheap? what do you say?

What do you want for it?

walleyeca
12-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Id like to get $275 for it? I get motivated when I see cash though?lol

TundraBuck
12-26-2008, 07:34 PM
PM Me and we'll talk.

bardfromedson
12-28-2008, 05:49 PM
i just ordered the new humminbird 45 from cabelas. hope it gets here soon.

Marlin07
12-28-2008, 06:28 PM
i just ordered the new humminbird 45 from cabelas. hope it gets here soon.

What's the reason behind that? Tired of getting outfished by the guys from Edmonton? I was out at Gull today and got skunked, you guy's figure out a weekend yet to haul out your shack? Me and Rick are game to help you get that beast on the lake.

Fish Cannon
12-28-2008, 08:18 PM
I too am looking at buying a sonar. Any differences on run times on batteries between different makes/models? Or do most run a full day? Just trying to get an idea.

Kyle
12-28-2008, 09:09 PM
get a marcum.

TundraBuck
12-29-2008, 10:20 AM
My marcum gets about 22 hours on a full charge.

bardfromedson
12-29-2008, 10:51 AM
What's the reason behind that? Tired of getting outfished by the guys from Edmonton? I was out at Gull today and got skunked, you guy's figure out a weekend yet to haul out your shack? Me and Rick are game to help you get that beast on the lake.

when your bragging about outfishing someone you shouldn't say you got skunked in the same quote.lol. im planning for the 10th weekend. not sure if it will be fri or sat. hope you guys can come up. not sure how many are going but probly only 3 or 4 so we should have lots of room. if you guys come tell rick to bring his come alongs,jacks and a few skids. save me from renting them. what days work best for u guys? if we go friday we would stay tell sunday after the football games . if we go sat. it will be tell monday. if you guys cant come until sat. we might wait.

Fish Cannon
12-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks Tundra

DoubleCam
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
i would look at the ShowDown.I wasnt impressed with it in the start, now.. i wouldnt go any other way.
Yesterday, I was marking a wack of perch...
with no zoom on I marked 6 different fish all being seperated by inches. |

I love this unit now. wouldnt go any other way! just my thoughts.