PDA

View Full Version : Info on Instrumentation Trade... good idea?

TradesMaybe
02-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Hey I was just curious to get ideas as to whether or not the instrumentation trade is a good one to try and get into for the short term and the long term. I'm in my early 20s and I've been hearing alot about the trade being in-demand and lucrative as well. Also something that is in low physical demand. If anyone has input on this trade or the idea of having a career of this nature, it'd be much appreciated to help me make some decisions. If you're responding maybe you can comment on...

- Potential Wages
- Availability for work/chances of it being in-demand long term
- Physical efforts needed
- Possibility for work outside of Alberta (Ontario for example)

WCTHEMI
02-23-2015, 12:45 PM
This should answer some of your questions:
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/trades-occupations/profiles/031/

TradesMaybe
02-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Hey thanks for that reply, but that's actually one of the pages I'd read in the past while doing some of my own research. Some new pages or new insights would be welcome... or even some first hand accounts if anyone has any

Ranch11
02-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Get a dual ticket, instrumentation/electrician and you'll never be out of work. our level 3 guys just got a huge raise, just under 50/hr without the travel and wage adjustment. More like 57-59/hr all said and done. And their coveralls stay pretty clean.

TradesMaybe
02-23-2015, 02:34 PM
The school that I was looking to apply to is labelled as "Control and Instrumentation Engineering"

I'm guessing to go with instrumentation/electrician combined, I'd have to do two separate programs? Or is this something where I can go to school for instrumentation, then get a future designation in the electrician field later on...

Positrac
02-23-2015, 03:49 PM
They say the hardest part about being an instrument tech is telling your parents you're gay.

Some of the man purses they carry are nice though.

oldgutpile
02-23-2015, 03:58 PM
They say the hardest part about being an instrument tech is telling your parents you're gay.

Some of the man purses they carry are nice though.

Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the forum junior!

Positrac
02-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for adding absolutely nothing to the forum junior!

It was supposed to be comic relief, which is more than you just added gramps.

coyote madness
02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Good day , My son at 21 completed journeyman electrician one year ago and now he is credited to 2nd year in inst tech...... I can tell you first hand that doing both is pretty intense , But best to do it while school is still fresh in your brain.... My son has not seen an unemployed day since start of first yr in elect.... And once complete he will never be unemployed unless he wants .... Money, let's just say he does good... Enjoy your day:)

Coyote

TradesMaybe
02-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the input... he's lucky to have completed all the journeyman stuff that quickly as it gives him plenty freedom later on. I'd hope to get to that point and hopefully this program can take me there. Does this work for him mean inside Alberta or outside as well?

coyote madness
02-23-2015, 06:50 PM
In answer to your question , IMO I believe Alberta tradesman and women are some of the best in the world , So work around the world in your trade could be considered.

oldgutpile
02-23-2015, 08:28 PM
I have a kid brother who entered the field, and has down extremely well with it. So much so, that I encouraged my son to take up the trade as well.
Very high demand with good pay.
And, yes, if you get the electrical to go with, you should never ever want for job hours!

wbaj
02-23-2015, 10:09 PM
OK, here it is from the "horses mouth" so to speak!
I have made a very good living with an instrumentation ticket, in fact it allowd me to retire at age 60 and live a very comfortable retirement life without resorting to gov't CPP or old age security. I consider these extras as simply "jam on the butter".

Instrumentation is a trade that requires attention to detail, accuracy in the tasks assigned..........(that's close enough) should never ever enter your mind and if it does you are in the wrong trade!!!!
This trade provides the data that most plants run on. This is how they make thier money, accurate data is the life blood to any efficiently run plant. If the data is wrong because you didn't do your job.... well.......if your on my team your relegated to cleaning floors (if your lucky)!!!!
That being said, it also can be extremely rewarding. You will be paid at the top of the wage scale, you will have an excellent chance of advancing to a high level within the company you work for, your experience will be highly valued in years to come, and although i worked for the same company for 35 years, your chances for a life long employment are excellent even if you look for greener pastures.
I must mention one or two caveats. You must also be willing to continue your education throughout your carear. If you don't you will soon find yourself under trained as technology advances. When I eventually retired my training itinerary after 35 years numbered 108 extra courses!!!!
To tell you the truth I enjoyed every one.
The second one is that it is not an easy trade to get. Most are challenged, and in fact when I got my ticket about 25% of the class failed on their first attempt. I don't believe that it is that severe these days but be prepared to put your time in at the study table or forget about it!
In a nutshell I would never consider anything different if I had the chance to do it all again.
PM me if you want more details.

Hope this helps with your decision.

hunterfisher
02-23-2015, 10:37 PM
Hi there, I'm an instrument JP and have been for a few Years now. I worked several different labor intensive jobs which resulted in back injury. I heard about the trade and learned it wasn't to physically demanding so I went for it and now I'm a supervisor for an Alberta company and love it. Yes it is one of the hardest trades and you get rewarded with top salary of about 88k plus annually. I always find it interesteing and as technology changes it encourage you mind to learn.

getatmewolf
02-23-2015, 11:20 PM
Im "gramps'" son and am very satisfied with the path that instrumentation has taken me down. I did my time with a service company and was able to get on as an employee at a great company. The other comments about attention to detail and the importance of perfection was not an exaggeration. A good instrument guy is a great asset to any jobsite.
There seems to be a flooded market of journeyman that can just bend tubing, try to get on with a company that is well rounded, not just construction, you will be much more valuable in the future.
It could easily take you all over the country, and is a great intro to the electrical field if you want to get that dual ticket which im also in the process of doing on my companies dime.
Mechanically, electrically, pneumatically inclined and being able to think logically are all great assets to being successful and being able to stand out. School was no cakewalk though, with 50% of my first year class either failing or dropping out.
The joke my uncle told me when I was picking his brain about instrumentation or electrical went like this......You know what they call an instrument tech who couldn't quite make the cut? An electrician
Hopefully that helped out a bit more, if you want a trade that is continually evolving and keeping you tested while paying you a great wage I would definitely give instrumentation a good look.

getatmewolf
02-23-2015, 11:34 PM
***bad language****
but very funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcsoqIylmDI

TradesMaybe
02-24-2015, 11:17 AM
This is all great info to know, appreciate that. Attn to detail, having to take more courses and being numerically/mechanically inclined all don't phase me as they're all attributes I'm comfortable with. When you say "not just bend tubing" are you suggesting that people can be pigeon holed into just one type of work within the instrumentation job category?

TradesMaybe
02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
And one other quick thought... is there a specific industry within instrumentation that you'd recommend entering? Nuclear? Hydro? Construction? Oil?

getatmewolf
02-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't say guys get pigeon holed per say but its easy to get stuck in a fab shop or on construction detail at large facilities which is a fine starting point but wont get you anywhere in the long run of a career. I can only comment on oil and gas which of course can be feast or famine, but it is a trade that is utilized in most industries such as mining and logging. I was always focused and was most interested in measurement and analysis aspects of instrumentation and it did me well.

Positrac
02-24-2015, 10:22 PM
Speaking as an employer, getting pigeon holed into just doing menial tasks all the time only happens if that is all you are good for. If you are a good tradesman and know your stuff your employer will want to use you to your fullest ability.

ESOXangler
02-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Speaking as an employer, getting pigeon holed into just doing menial tasks all the time only happens if that is all you are good for. If you are a good tradesman and know your stuff your employer will want to use you to your fullest ability.

Not true always. Lots of the time when you work for a contractor it's based off time. Really good tuber and that's what you will do. With instrumentation you have to stay sharp and progressive if you want to separate from the pack.

I've been a j man for 7 years now and have to say I love it. I'm a maintenance and commissioning tech for a major so it certainly pays the bills. There's some scary times but controllable. You really have to be able to thrive under pressure too. Imagine having a boiler go down and the power engineering that looks after it breathing down your neck as you look for a solution to some piece of crap set up some engineer spec'd out 5 years ago in a warm office.

Big negative is job statisfaction. This is after 12 years of doing it here and maybe it's just me. But I miss the labour sometimes. Actually seeing something I constructed myself. Sometimes I'd love a brain dead job where I don't have to over think. It turns you into an overthinker too. Everything you do will be calculated hahaha. What will really frustrate your wife will be how you have an answer for everything. Drives mine crazy. Calls me a bull****ter hahaha.

All in all great job that almost makes me. 1%'r without ot. And it's a hellva lot better than being a scaffolder. Those guys are the only ones actually working anymore.

TradesMaybe
02-26-2015, 02:05 PM
Precision, accuracy... sounds like what you need to accomplish is often on your shoulders as opposed to being spread throughout the company. And I don't mind the overthinking/analytical side of things though... I'm already an over thinker anyways lol. Hearing that the job has a math/analytical side of things only entices me more. I know most of the people have said it's great pay once a person is established, but how much should one expect as let's say a 2nd/3rd year apprentice?

hopdrop
03-02-2015, 12:10 AM
As others have mentioned, attention to detail and the ability to think on your feet in stressful situations will put you in a position of responsibility - running crews, critical equipment troubleshooting, etc. Money follows responsibility, doesn't matter what line of work you choose.

There are many different niches within instrumentation - construction, maintenance, commissioning, sales, etc. once you establish yourself, you can narrow your focus. Just my opinion, but you probably have more options coming out of a tech program rather than the 4yr JP route. That said, JPs are generally better hands on, real world instrument hands.

If you decide this is for you, you're probably going to end up with some sh$&ty jobs, in some sh$&Ty places to start - this is OK. When given the choice, choose a live plant over construction, regardless of pay. Master the basics, try to get some variety, get decent at computers and LEARN THE PROCESS - hard to fix something if you don't know how it works. Try not to worry about money, work hard and it won't be one of your problems.

Travel options are nearly limitless, I'm a 15yr instrument hand and and have worked too many places to count - Alaska, all over the Western US, five continents and what seems like every Canadian town West of Winnipeg. With the current state of manufacturing in Ontario, you'll have better luck here - likely better pay too.

I have zero regrets about choosing instrumentation.

Good luck, PM me if you have any questions.

Prairiewolf
03-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Between an instrumentation technician / electrican role or a 4th class power engineering role, you'll have work until you don't want it anymore.

bcwrencher
03-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm a millwright, and I work with instrumentation techs. The biggest tool they use is a 9/16" wrench and a tubing bender. A great job if you don't like being physically active or working hard, most of the instrumentation techs I've run into are lazy as hell. And they get paid more than me too. Bastards.

ESOXangler
03-02-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm a millwright, and I work with instrumentation techs. The biggest tool they use is a 9/16" wrench and a tubing bender. A great job if you don't like being physically active or working hard, most of the instrumentation techs I've run into are lazy as hell. And they get paid more than me too. Bastards.

You're bang on there. Life's funny like that! the using your head to money ratio is usually a lot higher than the using your back to money ratio. But man I honestly do miss a hard days work sometimes. Then I look at all our millwrights wandering around looking like Quasimodo at the end of the day. At being said it's pretty rough when it's minus 40 out and you have to stand beside a transmitter at 90' up and wait. I'd rather be moving, lifting something then!