PDA

View Full Version : Allergies

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 04:11 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/02/23/exposing-infants-to-peanuts-causes-big-reduction-in-peanut-allergy-study-shows/

It would be nice if kids could have peanut butter and jam at school again like I did growing up.

Reminds of a time I was looking after a buddies kid for a week, asked him what he wanted for lunch and he said peanut butter and honey sandwich, so I made up his lunch and dropped him of at school. What a mistake.

Got called by my boss to go to his office after I sort out something at the school. Went to the school in a panic and got ragged out by the principle and teacher for doing such a foolish thing as to send a kid to school with peanut butter. The horror! Zipped across the street to subway and got a non peanut sandwich so the little guy could eat and explained to the boss what was up.

One of the hardest lessons I learned in life.

Redfrog
02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Why all the allergies involving peanut butter?

I'm sure it's terrifying for the kids and their parents, but I don't remember kids having these issues 'back in the day'.:thinking-006:

bubba 96
02-23-2015, 04:38 PM
And the me society strikes again, do you think all kids should be safe at school...if so than keep the peanut butter at home, the oils on a door knob can be fatal if a kid has allergies.. None of my kids have allergies but why should some of my kids buddies be at risk because some feel theyare entitled to eat it..

Geezle
02-23-2015, 04:39 PM
A little peanut allergy comedy :)

Tim Nutt - Just For Laughs: http://youtu.be/RCHYaLwLeBk

About 8 minutes long and the whole thing is good, but if you're impatient skip to about the 3 minute mark :)

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 05:51 PM
I remember seeing Tim Nutt overseas, damn funny guy, that bit reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgesL8cVgmI

If all it takes is to expose the young then I see it as an advancement (or common sense). Natural selection also comes to mind.

Kim473
02-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Not only nuts people, lots of other things. My kid have allergies to nuts, I do not. I have to take allergy pills once in a while for other things.

crunchiespg
02-23-2015, 07:09 PM
And the me society strikes again, do you think all kids should be safe at school...if so than keep the peanut butter at home, the oils on a door knob can be fatal if a kid has allergies.. None of my kids have allergies but why should some of my kids buddies be at risk because some feel theyare entitled to eat it..

What happens if the kid goes to a store where someone has just eaten a peanut sandwich. What about touching a bus door? What about sharing an elevator with someone who just ate nuts?
The list goes on.

How about if you have an allergy you keep your hands and lips off other kids stuff.

Society always has to cater for the weakest link. And it's dragging all us down to the lowest level.
You can't keep kids in a bubble everywhere. And there are plenty of studies saying it's the bubble wrap mentality that is making the allergies appear. Much like super bugs are caused by the panicing parent demanding antibiotics for a sniffle.

Schools wernt peanut free 15 years ago and I don't remember kids dropping dead everywhere.

BANG
02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
I know a poor s.o.b that is deathly allergic to meat of all things.
I seen him eat the wrong slice of pizza once it was not pretty.

vinny
02-23-2015, 07:26 PM
My son has a severe peanut allergy. Carry epipens with us which really just buy you some time. His school isn't peanut free and they all eat together in the gym. He's very good about it. He won't eat anything without asking and even then we don't recommend him to believe everyone can read the ingredients close enough to be sure. It's scary, but just something we have to live with. Do I wish it was a peanut free school? Sure. Is it practical. Probably not.

bubba 96
02-23-2015, 07:36 PM
What happens if the kid goes to a store where someone has just eaten a peanut sandwich. What about touching a bus door? What about sharing an elevator with someone who just ate nuts?
The list goes on.

How about if you have an allergy you keep your hands and lips off other kids stuff.

Society always has to cater for the weakest link. And it's dragging all us down to the lowest level.
You can't keep kids in a bubble everywhere. And there are plenty of studies saying it's the bubble wrap mentality that is making the allergies appear. Much like super bugs are caused by the panicing parent demanding antibiotics for a sniffle.

Schools wernt peanut free 15 years ago and I don't remember kids dropping dead everywhere.

I'm well aware of that, and I took peanut butter and banana sandwiches to school as a kid, however id sure feel bad if a kid got really sick on something I can prevent pretty easily. My kids can eat all they want just at home, it not a big deal..

crunchiespg
02-23-2015, 07:40 PM
I'm well aware of that, and I took peanut butter and banana sandwiches to school as a kid, however id sure feel bad if a kid got really sick on something I can prevent pretty easily. My kids can eat all they want just at home, it not a big deal..

Yes I agree in isolation it's not a big deal. But it's the thin end of the wedge. And a perfect example of the bed wetting nanny state the western world has become.

And in reality all this nanny state nonsense is actually making the situation worse.

I've even read recent medical studies where gradual exposure is being used to cure peanut allergies.
The complete segregation from anything that might get a kid dirty or cause allergies likely causes more problems than it ever prevents.

vinny
02-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Yes I agree in isolation it's not a big deal. But it's the thin end of the wedge. And a perfect example of the bed wetting nanny state the western world has become.

And in reality all this nanny state nonsense is actually making the situation worse.

I've even read recent medical studies where gradual exposure is being used to cure peanut allergies.
The complete segregation from anything that might get a kid dirty or cause allergies likely causes more problems than it ever prevents.

Yeah there's a treatment where you are exposed to very small doses. But it's under strict medical care where they can be saved if necessary. I had to stab a guy at a race last summer with my kids epipen. He got stung and the ambulance was still not close. Prob saved him, even with a kids dose. It was scary.

FishingMOM
02-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Our school has taken the stance that its your problem, take responsibility for your health, don't punish the rest of the kids. So peanut butter is Welcome.

You cant regulate it out of every environment you go into.
So learn young how to protect yourself from allergens that can cause you harm.

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 12:33 AM
Our school has taken the stance that its your problem, take responsibility for your health, don't punish the rest of the kids. So peanut butter is Welcome.

Wow, it's about time. Maybe there still is hope.

canadiantdi
02-24-2015, 07:02 AM

We had a girl in our school who was allergic to peanuts. She was brought around to all the classrooms and introduced along with a warning of her allergy. No peanut ban required... She lived.

Even if you stop kids from bringing peanut butter into schools via their lunch, I would guess there's still probably quite a bit of peanut butter floating around on the fingers/faces/clothes of the younger children.

Wikipedia is saying that in the states there are only 2000 food allergy hospitalizations per year and around 150 people die every year from ALL combined food allergies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_allergy#Prevalence

I agree that we are living in a "me" society.

canadiantdi
02-24-2015, 07:02 AM

Should be common sense.

geezer55
02-24-2015, 07:28 AM
Had to laugh at a sign that was put up at a plant that I was delivering to. It had a list of allergens that are NOT allowed into the plant such as: nuts, seafood, eggs, MILK, DAIRY products. The reason that I started laughing was because I was delivering 25000 liters of MILK to a CHEESE plant.

Redfrog
02-24-2015, 11:27 AM
I may be allergic to peanuts.:thinking-006:

I do break out in a rash sometimes when I read the comments from the peanut gallery on AO.:)

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 11:29 AM

What school division would this be?

To state that kids are punished if they can't have peanut butter is equally ridiculous.

And for those who say never did me any harm, what if your child died due to an easily preventable problem, what would you say then......

Clearly education is needed on the topic of allergies (not just peanut butter) and how to handle a wide range of possible reactions.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 11:31 AM

I think this sums it up pretty well.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 11:36 AM
The list goes on.

Honestly, I used to think this way, then through a personal experience I realised how selfish and ridiculous I had been. I'm all for kids playing in dirt and developing a good immune system, but, that has nothing to do with a serious allergy.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Honestly, I used to think this way, then through a personal experience I realised how selfish and ridiculous I had been. I'm all for kids playing in dirt and developing a good immune system, but, that has nothing to do with a serious allergy.

But as said above you can't legislate it out of all environments. So the only safe way is for the individual to take personal responsibility.

And that's my point. Society has to always play down to the lowest level.
And it's making society weak.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 11:44 AM
But as said above you can't legislate it out of all environments. So the only safe way is for the individual to take personal responsibility.

And that's my point. Society has to always play down to the lowest level.
And it's making society weak.

Ok, let's test your theory by using the peanut butter example, 1 child is allergic, 240 are not, peanut butter is banned from the school, the 240 can eat all they like at home (as stated by another poster). That 1 child and their parents can feel a little more secure that they get to go home at the end of the school day and not to hospital or the morgue.

how is society weakened by this?

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Ok, let's test your theory by using the peanut butter example, 1 child is allergic, 240 are not, peanut butter is banned from the school, the 240 can eat all they like at home (as stated by another poster). That 1 child and their parents can feel a little more secure that they get to go home at the end of the school day and not to hospital or the morgue.

how is society weakened by this?

Because the system is taking over rather than having the individual having personal responsibility. It's a symptom of a bigger problem.
And it's a pointless exercise as the kids likely have traces on them or their clothes anyway.

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 11:49 AM

To state that kids are punished if they can't have peanut butter is equally ridiculous.

And for those who say never did me any harm, what if your child died due to an easily preventable problem, what would you say then......

Clearly education is needed on the topic of allergies (not just peanut butter) and how to handle a wide range of possible reactions.

Yes, clearly education is needed. Parents need to teach there children that have allergies to protect them selves. Peanut butter isn't just at schools.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Because the system is taking over rather than having the individual having personal responsibility. It's a symptom of a bigger problem.
And it's a pointless exercise as the kids likely have traces on them or their clothes anyway.

I'm sorry, this is a weak argument, what system is taking over? What the bigger problem that you reference?

As for the pointless exercise, if you had to bury a child because of the direct exposure that was 100% avoidable would you stand next to the 4 foot casket and feel the same way?

Again, I feel much greater education is required.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2015, 11:55 AM
The list goes on.

Just happens my Grandson is allergic to peanuts. Even still, I will leave my comment at this. Wow!

Edit: Nah have to comment. This and other similar comments not caring about others lives and well being kinda reminds me of terrorists views.

Might lead to a suspension or banning, but this sickens me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 11:56 AM
Yes, clearly education is needed. Parents need to teach there children that have allergies to protect them selves. Peanut butter isn't just at schools.

Absolutely agree, it's just that a parent is not with the child when they are at school for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

It's all about prevention.

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm sorry, this is a weak argument, what system is taking over? What the bigger problem that you reference?

As for the pointless exercise, if you had to bury a child because of the direct exposure that was 100% avoidable would you stand next to the 4 foot casket and feel the same way?

I don't think you understand, it isn't 100% avoidable. Peanut butter is everywhere, not just schools.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:00 PM

The nanny state, health and safety, poor me I must sue someone because I stubbed my own toe system.
The unnecessary frameworks that this alone causes is crippling modern life. We have more people discussing the safety of digging a hole than the people digging it. All because some bed wetting liberal system has legislated a fear.

It's no different to teaching your child to cross the road safely. Take personal responsibility. don't aim to get cars banned.

And my point is the exposure isn't avoidable by trying to ban something. That just leads to a false sense of security. I'd rather my child be aware of the risks for herself than assume just because there is a rule banning it it is completely safe. Ban or not I bet schools are full of allergens. So better to be personally aware than thinking the school is one safe bubble in a contaminated world.

Much like the robber in New Jersey last month who got shot by the store owner, felt safe robbing the store as he though concealed carry was banned. He was wrong but assumed he was safe.

silverdoctor
02-24-2015, 12:01 PM
So why do allergies seem to be on the rise?

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't think you understand, it isn't 100% avoidable. Peanut butter is everywhere, not just schools.

With respect, I believe it is you that doesn't understand. I know where peanut butter is. As I said earlier I used to think in such a selfish way, I don't anymore. One child's life saved is absolutely worth it.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 12:03 PM
So why do allergies seem to be on the rise?

Watch the vid I posted on page 1 if you haven't already...if nothing else you'll get a laugh out of it :D

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
With respect, I believe it is you that doesn't understand. I know where peanut butter is. As I said earlier I used to think in such a selfish way, I don't anymore. One child's life saved is absolutely worth it.

But equally assuming the ban is working could put a child at risk. They could think "I know school is peanut free so I must be safe to try this snack" when in reality as we know banning anything doesn't work.

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Absolutely agree, it's just that a parent is not with the child when they are at school for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

It's all about prevention.

Are parents there 100% of the time ever? What if the child decides to drink poison? What if the child crosses the road without looking? These are things parents need to teach there kids and if a child has allergies the parents need to teach them about that too.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Hey...why are we singling out peanuts? Why not ban dairy, seafood, gluten and anything not organic while we're at it?

Anybody remember the case where a kid got detention for sharing a cheese sandwich?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231059&highlight=sharing+lunch

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
The nanny state, health and safety, poor me I must sue someone because I stubbed my own toe system.
The unnecessary frameworks that this alone causes is crippling modern life. We have more people discussing the safety of digging a hole than the people digging it. All because some bed wetting liberal system has legislated a fear.

It's no different to teaching your child to cross the road safely. Take personal responsibility. don't aim to get cars banned.

And my point is the exposure isn't avoidable by trying to ban something. That just leads to a false sense of security. I'd rather my child be aware of the risks for herself than assume just because there is a rule banning it it is completely safe. Ban or not I bet schools are full of allergens. So better to be personally aware than thinking the school is one safe bubble in a contaminated world.

Much like the robber in New Jersey last month who got shot by the store owner, felt safe robbing the store as he though concealed carry was banned. He was wrong but assumed he was safe.

You are entitled to your opinions and to make illogical references, however, I don't see a false sense of security, I see removal of an item that has killed children and that for me is excellent. If you don't like that and feel that is the nanny state then I sincerely hope you never have the misfortune to plan a child's funeral because some parents felt removal of peanut butter from the school was weakening society and infringing on their rights.

FishingMOM
02-24-2015, 12:12 PM

My son is in a CALGARY PUBLIC SCHOOL!
There are kids who's families cant afford to feed them anything but pbj sandwiches.
Today my son took Chicken parm and spagetti in his lunch.
He pulled out his thermos and a plastic plate and fork, and is eating a better lunch than most members here are eating for their own lunches.
The teachers are drooling over his lunch....... The kids get down right mad at him. But every now and then he like to take a pbj sandwich like the other kids.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Are parents there 100% of the time ever? What if the child decides to drink poison? What if the child crosses the road without looking? These are things parents need to teach there kids and if a child has allergies the parents need to teach them about that too.

oh dear, I think you are looking past the point that an issue is so easily prevented by removing it. enjoy it elsewhere it's tasty stuff. And I believe I have mentioned education is desperately needed, not just by parents of those that have allergies...

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:15 PM
You are entitled to your opinions and to make illogical references, however, I don't see a false sense of security, I see removal of an item that has killed children and that for me is excellent. If you don't like that and feel that is the nanny state then I sincerely hope you never have the misfortune to plan a child's funeral because some parents felt removal of peanut butter from the school was weakening society and infringing on their rights.

But it hasn't been removed!!!!!! It is there. Everyday. Kids either break the rules and bring it. Or it's on their hands from breakfast. Or spilt on their shirt. Or under their finger nails. So why not assume it is present, rather than assuming it isn't which is a false sense of security.

That is the false sense of security. You assume a ban means it doesn't exist.

The UK did that with handguns in 1997. Every year since the numbers of crimes committed with an item that is no longer there has gone up.

Oh. And btw. I have peanut allergies in my family......

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Ok, I am trying to under stand your point of view. Where does it end? Should we ban everything to make sure that no one has to go to a child's funeral?

dmcbride
02-24-2015, 12:17 PM
But it hasn't been removed!!!!!! It is there. Everyday. Kids either break the rules and bring it. Or it's on their hands from breakfast. Or spilt on their shirt. Or under their finger nails. So why not assume it is present, rather than assuming it isn't which is a false sense of security.

The UK did that with handguns in 1997. Every year since the numbers of crimes committed with an item that is no longer there has gone up.

As do I.

silverdoctor
02-24-2015, 12:19 PM
and is eating a better lunch than most members here are eating for their own lunches.

True! Coffee and a jar peanut butter is my lunch, eating it off a spoon.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:22 PM
But equally assuming the ban is working could put a child at risk. They could think "I know school is peanut free so I must be safe to try this snack" when in reality as we know banning anything doesn't work.

I agree, if anyone were to assume a policy that "states peanut butter is not allowed" protected their child that would be foolish. I'm sure you are aware that those with such policies enforce them and with greater education we can stop that 1 child from dying.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2015, 12:25 PM
My Grandson is 5 years old. He knows to ask of the food contains peanuts, if it does or they dont know he wont eat it. He has an eppi pen. Not a good feeling, rushing a kid to hospital.

Problem at school/kindergarten is whats on the hands etc. Does it help with a peanut ban at school. Of course it does! Just think about it!

Does it eliminate the chances, of course not. But it sure reduces the opportunity for it to happen!

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:26 PM

Handguns!! I thought we were talking about peanut butter.

You assume too much, re read my post, it says removed, not banned - that would be absurd.

Thanks for letting me know you have peanut allergies in your family clearly that adds to your argument....

HalfBreed
02-24-2015, 12:29 PM
I'll have to remember in future not to look after someone else's kid, I may be subject to accessory to murder.

In the OP is an article outlining why we may be where we are today.

Peanut allergy, an occasionally life-threatening condition that has prompted changes in food consumption rules everywhere from pre-schools to airlines, can be sharply reduced by feeding peanut protein to children at risk for the condition beginning when they are infants, researchers reported in a landmark study Monday.

The findings could have implications for other potentially dangerous childhood allergies, such as those to milk and eggs, and, if follow-up research shows the approach is safe, might be a response to the rapid spread of peanut allergies in the western world, experts said.

Nanny it up I suppose.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Handguns!! I thought we were talking about peanut butter.

You assume too much, re read my post, it says removed, not banned - that would be absurd.

Thanks for letting me know you have peanut allergies in your family clearly that adds to your argument....

My first line says it hasn't been removed. So I clearly did read what you said.

But it has been banned in some schools. But bans don't work is my point. And assuming a ban does work could out someone in jeopardy.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Ok, I am trying to under stand your point of view. Where does it end? Should we ban everything to make sure that no one has to go to a child's funeral?

we should take every step possible to remove the chances of a child dying at school. Banning everything is just an off the chart reactionary response...

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
My first line says it hasn't been removed. So I clearly did read what you said.

But it has been banned in some schools. But bans don't work is my point. And assuming a ban does work could out someone in jeopardy.

I'm sorry I don't understand this post, what I do know is we are unlikely to agree on peanut butter being removed from schools, that's cool, you are entitled to your opinion.

huntsfurfish
By the way, I love peanut butter. But I love my Grandson more. I dont eat any peanuts from the day before I go to visit until i come back.

Could I eat peanuts the day before, of course I could.

The problem with society is a lack of compassion, which is clearly evident on this and other threads! Quite sickening really.

silverdoctor
Nanny it up I suppose.

Yep, suck it up, it's the way of Canada these days. The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:38 PM
we should take every step possible to remove the chances of a child dying at school. Banning everything is just an off the chart reactionary response...

So we should stop sports? Physical Accidents are the leading cause of child deaths. A lot more kids die doing physical activity than from allergies.

So by that logic we should remove sports. And stairs in school. And sharp edges on desks. Or hard floors.

My daughter could get hurt or killed riding her bike to the park. Would I be happy if it happened? No. Am I going to stop her doing it just in case? No. But I'll teach her road safety and give her a helmet.

I don't disagree kids with severe allergies need to be cared for. But that care starts at the individual level. Kids can be allergic to many things. Are we supposed to remove everything?
But I also think modern society is causing these problems, much like the antibiotics problem, by unnecessary fear.
It seems like every kid these days has to have some "issue". I'm not that old but I don't remember all these issues when I was in school.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm sorry I don't understand this post, what I do know is we are unlikely to agree on peanut butter being removed from schools, that's cool, you are entitled to your opinion.

My point is you think it has been removed. Because the school has said it has.

Reality is it hasn't been removed. I bet every single nut free class room has some trace in it everyday.
I don't care if it's there or not. My point is the individual is the one who should take care for themselves. Not assume everyone is following the removal.

Okotokian
02-24-2015, 12:42 PM
And my point is the exposure isn't avoidable by trying to ban something. That just leads to a false sense of security. I'd rather my child be aware of the risks for herself than assume just because there is a rule banning it it is completely safe. .

Alright, let's go with that. So what is your guidance for your 6 year old child that has a potentially fatal peanut allergy and attends a school with no guidelines around bringing peanut products into the school. How would your child manage the risks?

On another note, saw a story last night that said exposure to peanuts early in life actually leads to lower allergy rates. So if your child hasn't shown any allergy symptoms yet, expose them to nuts. Story noted that peanut allergy rates have doubled in the past 10 years, to 2% of children.

Somewhat associated research, found that kids who live in homes where dishes are hand washed suffered much lower rates of some illnesses such as asthma, etc than kids in homes with dishwashers. This and the above story suggest that perhaps our kids aren't getting enough exposure to bacteria, etc, to build up immunity. Perhaps we are just cleaning and sanitizing too much. Every product is "anti-bacterial" these days.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:45 PM
My son is in a CALGARY PUBLIC SCHOOL!
There are kids who's families cant afford to feed them anything but pbj sandwiches.
Today my son took Chicken parm and spagetti in his lunch.
He pulled out his thermos and a plastic plate and fork, and is eating a better lunch than most members here are eating for their own lunches.
The teachers are drooling over his lunch....... The kids get down right mad at him. But every now and then he like to take a pbj sandwich like the other kids.

Thanks, that's great that your son is enjoying such a nutritional yummy lunch and I'd agree with the second part too.
While I am aware of families living below the poverty line that doesn't have anything to do with peanut butter being removed, there is help available to those families and I certainly feel for them.
As much as your son loves PBJ sandwich, if the school decided to remove the PB from the school would you comply and give it to him at home.

brendan's dad
02-24-2015, 12:45 PM
My son, Brendan, has a severe peanut allergy. 57/100 was his score which means if he is exposed he has a 57% chance a severe reaction. We have explored the "exposure" treatment but our specialist says his score has to less than 10 before they will do this type of treatment.

Brendan's school is what they call "Peanut Aware", but any classroom where a student below grade 4 is attending then that class is peanut free. Parents in the class are excellent and we are constantly getting calls before events by parents preparing food.

We are well aware that a "Peanut Free" policy does not eliminate the risk 100%, but if no students are eating peanut butter at the same table or room as Brendan than the the risk is definitely reduced. Most schools now require students to wash their hands after eating, this also reduces risk. Experts in the field agree that a combination of education and prevention is the best approach to reduce risk.

The problem with allergies is you never know how severe a reaction will become. But research has shown that the severity increases with the overall number of exposures. The average peanut allergy kid gets a reation every 2 to 3 years. Brendan has been reaction free for over 5 and I believe it is because we educate people around him and educate him as well. He gets to administer every expired epipen into an orange to practice giving it to himself.

crunchiespg

If you really believe the public, private corporations, and government is operating as a "Nanny State" because they want to promote the health and safety of our children, then maybe we should also axe some tax payer programs like

The Canadian Cancer Society
Diabetes Reasearch
Traffic Safety and Enforcement
Criminal Justice System

Because in the end these are all supported programs which give us a false sense of security and create a "Nanny State" Maybe rewind the clock a few hundred years and it is every man, woman, and CHILD for themselves.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Alright, let's go with that. So what is your guidance for your 6 year old child that has a potentially fatal peanut allergy and attends a school with no guidelines around bringing peanut products into the school. How would your child manage the risks?

On another note, saw a story last night that said exposure to peanuts early in life actually leads to lower allergy rates. So if your child hasn't shown any allergy symptoms yet, expose them to nuts. Story noted that peanut allergy rates have doubled in the past 10 years, to 2% of children.

Somewhat associated research, found that kids who live in homes where dishes are hand washed suffered much lower rates of some illnesses such as asthma, etc than kids in homes with dishwashers. This and the above story suggest that perhaps our kids aren't getting enough exposure to bacteria, etc, to build up immunity. Perhaps we are just cleaning and sanitizing too much. Every product is "anti-bacterial" these days.

The same as I give my 5 year old who has to deal with an older relative who developed a severe allergy late in life as a side effect to some medication for another issue.
At school age they understand what nuts are. And she knows not to take them near that person.
If she was allergic then she would be told to keep to her own snacks and not touch other kids food at school.

But if that research is correct I'm not surprised, my little one had her first taste of lots of nuts as soon as she was on solids. She also played in the dirt, skinned her knees, crashes her bike. And at the end of the day her clothes go in the wash and she gets a shower. She never uses that silly hand sanitizer and the 3 second rule for dropped food applies. She's also rarely sick and will eat pretty much anything.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
My point is you think it has been removed. Because the school has said it has.

Reality is it hasn't been removed. I bet every single nut free class room has some trace in it everyday.
I don't care if it's there or not. My point is the individual is the one who should take care for themselves. Not assume everyone is following the removal.

You assume too much, I don't think that every possible trace is removed, unfortunately I am very well schooled on this topic.

I know that the removal greatly reduces the chances of a child dying and I'm all for that.

Are you?

bubba 96
02-24-2015, 12:50 PM
So we should stop sports? Physical Accidents are the leading cause of child deaths. A lot more kids die doing physical activity than from allergies.

So by that logic we should remove sports. And stairs in school. And sharp edges on desks. Or hard floors.

My daughter could get hurt or killed riding her bike to the park. Would I be happy if it happened? No. Am I going to stop her doing it just in case? No. But I'll teach her road safety and give her a helmet.

I don't disagree kids with severe allergies need to be cared for. But that care starts at the individual level. Kids can be allergic to many things. Are we supposed to remove everything?
But I also think modern society is causing these problems, much like the antibiotics problem, by unnecessary fear.
It seems like every kid these days has to have some "issue". I'm not that old but I don't remember all these issues when I was in school.

so helmets are a perfect example do you let your daughter go out with out one or do you put one on cause you know it will prevent injuries, as you say we never wore one when i was a kid but ill be damn sure if my kid is on a bike scooter rollerblades he has one on his head...so if peanut butter out of schools make a few kids safer then there should be no issue, with that logic would you let your kids ride without one....

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
so helmets are a perfect example do you let your daughter go out with out one or do you put one on cause you know it will prevent injuries, as you say we never wore one when i was a kid but ill be damn sure if my kid is on a bike scooter rollerblades he has one on his head...so if peanut butter out of schools make a few kids safer then there is no issue, with that logic you would let your kids ride without one....

wearing a helmet is taking personal responsibility. which I'm all for..

assuming every car in a 5km radius will stop just because a kid is on the road for a bike ride isn't..

and like someone said above "peanut aware" and education is 100 times better than banning things..
I'm not disagreeing kids should be protected. but simply banning it and assuming we are now magically all safe isn't the answer. but its the tactic used in lots of things these days...
the knee jerk reaction is always to ban something.
and assuming a ban is working may cause more problems..
I'm not saying we can't do things to help a kid, and i would fully respect, and indeed do, follow requests for no nuts in the class room. but it isn't a ban in our school, its an awareness scheme.

Okotokian
02-24-2015, 12:58 PM
The same as I give my 5 year old who has to deal with an older relative who developed a severe allergy late in life as a side effect to some medication for another issue.
At school age they understand what nuts are. And she knows not to take them near that person.
If she was allergic then she would be told to keep to her own snacks and not touch other kids food at school.

But if that research is correct I'm not surprised, my little one had her first taste of lots of nuts as soon as she was on solids. She also played in the dirt, skinned her knees, crashes her bike. And at the end of the day her clothes go in the wash and she gets a shower. She never uses that silly hand sanitizer and the 3 second rule for dropped food applies. She's also rarely sick and will eat pretty much anything.

Agree we should expose our kids to lots of things early on like your child did. I can say that my second son sure got exposed to a lot more than our first! First one dropped a soother, it was re-sterilized. Second one dropped his, I'd brush it off and give it back to him. LOL

But as for advice to your daughter if she had the peanut allergy, it would have to b a lot more than just don't eat other kids food. It would have to include "don't touch door knobs, desks, water fountains, or anything else any other kid has touched". A wee but harder. I think you would support the peanut ban in that case.

And half jokingly I Ask: Why do you tell your child what to do around the older relative with the allergy? It's the older person's responsibility, not yours or your kid's, no? ;)
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your meaning.

Purple Farmer
02-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Sports are good, kids love them (for the most part) but this has nothing to do with peanut butter and I'm not sure there's empirical evidence to suggest more kids die from organised sport versus allergy, however, if a kid was boxing they would have to wear an amateur boxing approved headgear. A child should wear a helmet when riding a bike, removing the helmet increases the chances of a fatality in the event they have an accident. and no we are not supposed to remove everything, that is just another reactionary over the top response by foolish people.
Maybe there is an increase from when you were in school and maybe there isn't, I have no statistics to support either argument, I dare say when you were in school you likely weren't as concerned as you may be today as a parent.

crunchiespg
02-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Agree we should expose our kids to lots of things early on like your child did. I can say that my second son sure got exposed to a lot more than our first! First one dropped a soother, it was re-sterilized. Second one dropped his, I'd brush it off and give it back to him. LOL

But as for advice to your daughter if she had the peanut allergy, it would have to b a lot more than just don't eat other kids food. It would have to include "don't touch door knobs, desks, water fountains, or anything else any other kid has touched". A wee but harder. I think you would support the peanut ban in that case.

And half jokingly I Ask: Why do you tell your child what to do around the older relative with the allergy? It's the older person's responsibility, not yours or your kid's, no? ;)
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your meaning.

Her advise in that respect is don't give the relative food you know contains nuts, especially not as a joke or a test to see if the allergy is real. As in don't deliberately expose that person directly. But nothing more. Yes that adult should look after themselves.

But I don't see the advice of not touching any doors etc as reality. Because everywhere you go is risk at that point. So what is that kid to do everywhere else in life. If you honestly can't touch a door handle perhaps it's time to stay home.

Okotokian
02-24-2015, 01:07 PM
But I don't see the advice of not touching any doors etc as reality. Because everywhere you go is risk at that point. So what is that kid to do everywhere else in life. If you honestly can't touch a door handle perhaps it's time to stay home.

You would not believe what small children have on their hands. It's not quite the same level of risk in the mall or an office building.