02-23-2015, 05:51 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/tunnel-found-near-toronto-pan-am-games-venue-1.214437

What will they think of next?

HalfBreed
02-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Maybe some enterprising students were setting up shop off campus? :bad_boys_20:

Rdamours
02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Either that or a terrorism plot. They should have covertly monitored it then blow it up.

twofifty
02-23-2015, 07:31 PM
Yes, they should have. I hope they figured out who was planning on doing what before they blabbed about the tunnel.

If they haven't, then it's back to square one figuring out how to protect these Games, and from what.

Story made me think of the recent skunk thread. ;)

wasteland.soldier
02-23-2015, 07:54 PM
According to the article, the tunnel was discovered a month ago. I'm sure they're not stupid enough to tip their hand early.

Well..... I hope they're not.

Nichevo
02-23-2015, 07:54 PM
I was a student at York for 4 years, I lived in the Assiniboine apartments just a couple blocks west. I often went into the creek there and rooted around. There was a makeshift shelter set up not too far away from where they found the tunnel, I never met the guy who set up the camp, but I met a friend of his. The shelter was very well hidden with a lot of small escape pathways in deep brush, apparently the guy who set it up was a native guy, but he wasn't homeless. It wouldn't surprise me if this guy got even more creative and decided to dig in.

twofifty
02-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Hopefully they've run out of stupid. ;)

Kim473
02-24-2015, 06:33 AM
Could it be connected to terrorists ??

HalfBreed
02-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Could it be connected to terrorists ??

If it sells newspapers it can.

EZM
02-24-2015, 08:24 AM
The story is really about a guy who dug a place to sleep and call home.

The fact the media made this into a security and terrorist act of some sort is so far fetched, stupid, reaching and absolutely foolish.

Very Fox news like if you ask me.

HalfBreed
02-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Good comments in this article, the news story doesn't offer much though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-tunnel-police-have-no-suspects-motive-for-mystery-hole-1.2968807

Sooner
02-24-2015, 09:27 AM
According to the article, the tunnel was discovered a month ago. I'm sure they're not stupid enough to tip their hand early.

Well..... I hope they're not.

Same thing I thought of when I seen it on the news last night. Why not do some surveillance and see who is coming and going. At least I hope they did that.

JimPS
02-24-2015, 10:43 AM
If it sells newspapers it can.

If it sells papers and buys Harper votes - then it's "terrorist" activity.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Same thing I thought of when I seen it on the news last night. Why not do some surveillance and see who is coming and going. At least I hope they did that.
They did. Check the CBC article above your last post :)

Sooner
02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
They did. Check the CBC article above your last post :)

Opps, passed on that link, should have read it DOH. Got to wonder if it was going to be a storage bunker for drugs or something then.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Opps, passed on that link, should have read it DOH. Got to wonder if it was going to be a storage bunker for drugs or something then.

Tough to say but somebody definitely put a lot of work into it.

I wonder what they did with all the dirt they removed.:thinking-006:

HyperMOA
02-24-2015, 12:52 PM

HAHAHA. I suppose Harper dug the tunnel himself to uncover it as a terrorist plot as well. Its ALWAYS Harper right? HAHAHAHA.

Okotokian
02-24-2015, 01:05 PM
One possibility I've not yet heard mentioned in the media.... pervert palace. Place to stash a hostage, etc. Hey, it happens, sadly.

Sooner
02-24-2015, 01:32 PM
One possibility I've not yet heard mentioned in the media.... pervert palace. Place to stash a hostage, etc. Hey, it happens, sadly.

I hope that's not the case but your right. Welcome back Oki.

muzzy
02-24-2015, 01:42 PM
The story is really about a guy who dug a place to sleep and call home.

The fact the media made this into a security and terrorist act of some sort is so far fetched, stupid, reaching and absolutely foolish.

Very Fox news like if you ask me.

So its 34 feet long and 6 feet high seems like an aweful lot of work to put a bed in to get out of the elements by some homeless person,

Geezle
02-24-2015, 01:43 PM

Creepy thought, but definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

And welcome back :)

Geezle
02-24-2015, 01:46 PM
So its 34 feet long and 6 feet high seems like an aweful lot of work to put a bed in to get out of the elements by some homeless person,

I agree.

I wouldn't expect a homeless person to have a genset and water resistant lighting throughout either.

Redfrog
02-24-2015, 01:55 PM

So Harper built the tunnel?? Reported the story? Instructed the biased media to report it as terror related?

Any idea what frequency Harper is using today to hack through the tinfoil curtain?

Redfrog
02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Maybe it's Ontario housing for TFW.

recce43
02-24-2015, 01:58 PM
all these negative thoughts maybe its a student underground bar that was being built . they just didn't get the disco ball up yet .

EZM
02-24-2015, 02:05 PM

I could be wrong. For sure. But keep in mind many homeless people are actually insane. Some of them get pretty smart, educated, etc... and some are more than capable of building an elaborate structure because they believe the apocalypse is coming or something.

I worked with a guy, many moons ago, who had the most basic entry crappy job where I worked. Never complained or talked to anyone much. Come to find out he was a PhD and used to be a professor at the U of A and was quite well off. 9-11 happened and he disappeared. Later, we found out he had purchased some land and buried some containers underground (along with all sorts of gadgets) to ward off the apocalypse. 9-11 was the trigger to set him off to his plans of "laying low" and "riding out" the apocalypse.

The RCMP investigated him because his "cave" was pretty elaborate and they couldn't figure out what he was up to. I guess one of the neighbors saw some suspect activity out on the acreage community. Upon speaking to his family, and learning that although he just seemed to be "normal" he had deep and hidden mental paranoia and some issues.

That's what made me think it just might be someone with similar mental health issues.

His family convinced him things were safe, he re-integrated back into society, only to find he had purchased yet another piece of property and was building a safe house all over again ..... sneaking off to work on it complete with generators, air and drainage and this time plumbing and a sump.

Just never know sometimes.

My point is - all to often, in today's paranoid society we are very quick to yell "terrorism" every time we don't have all the info. The media might have done it this time IMO. But again, just my thoughts.

EZM
02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

Hey !!!!!!!!!! you're back. On probation now. How was the food in prison?

We missed you - I needed your rational thoughts/comments a few times in your absence.

airbornedeerhunter
02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

More tinfoil!

JimPS
02-24-2015, 03:01 PM
More tinfoil!

Hastily drafted up anti-terror laws that the tinfoil intelligence experts emphasize won’t make us safer.

Millions spent on ads glorifying war, while at the same time denying the tinfoil veterans the services they need.

You must be beginning to like tinfoil too, as a veteran.

Intelligence Experts
http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/13/former-csis-officer-warns-new-federal-anti-terror-bill-will-lead-to-lawsuits-embarrassment/

War Ads
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservatives-draw-fire-for-war-of-1812-spending-1.1265851.

Denial of Services to Veterans
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/hundreds-of-veterans-in-the-worst-shape-can-t-get-pension-ombudsman-1.1672104

airbornedeerhunter
02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Hastily drafted up anti-terror laws that the tinfoil intelligence experts emphasize won’t make us safer.

Millions spent on ads glorifying war, while at the same time denying the tinfoil veterans the services they need.

You must be beginning to like tinfoil too, as a veteran.

When were millions spent on ads glorifying war? Post one I'd love to see it. Your links are commemorating the sacrifices of those who fought in it, not glorifying it in any way. I guess you think Remembrance Day glorifies war as well?

I'll try to keep this derailment brief but you could fill volumes with what you don't know about VAC and the current situation with the NVC.

Now back to the tunnel question, I think it was squeegee kids who used it as a storage facility for their squeegees and buckets!

Okotokian
02-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Creepy thought, but definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

And welcome back :)

Thank you! There were apparently not enough creepy thoughts expressed in my absence.

wasteland.soldier
02-24-2015, 04:53 PM
I could be wrong. For sure. But keep in mind many homeless people are actually insane. Some of them get pretty smart, educated, etc... and some are more than capable of building an elaborate structure because they believe the apocalypse is coming or something.

I worked with a guy, many moons ago, who had the most basic entry crappy job where I worked. Never complained or talked to anyone much. Come to find out he was a PhD and used to be a professor at the U of A and was quite well off. 9-11 happened and he disappeared. Later, we found out he had purchased some land and buried some containers underground (along with all sorts of gadgets) to ward off the apocalypse. 9-11 was the trigger to set him off to his plans of "laying low" and "riding out" the apocalypse.

The RCMP investigated him because his "cave" was pretty elaborate and they couldn't figure out what he was up to. I guess one of the neighbors saw some suspect activity out on the acreage community. Upon speaking to his family, and learning that although he just seemed to be "normal" he had deep and hidden mental paranoia and some issues.

That's what made me think it just might be someone with similar mental health issues.

His family convinced him things were safe, he re-integrated back into society, only to find he had purchased yet another piece of property and was building a safe house all over again ..... sneaking off to work on it complete with generators, air and drainage and this time plumbing and a sump.

Just never know sometimes.

My point is - all to often, in today's paranoid society we are very quick to yell "terrorism" every time we don't have all the info. The media might have done it this time IMO. But again, just my thoughts.

An amusing anecdote, but I don't think anybody's building their apocalypse bunker right in Toronto proper.

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2015/02/23/tunnel.jpg&size=650x366&quality=85

Maybe not terrorism, but I'd definitely say up to no good. Stash house maybe for drugs, money, or human trafficking.

And given the games occurring nearby, and the security climate in Canada, I don't think it's a stretch (much-less fear mongering) to mention the idea of terrorism.

bat119
02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
One expert in Toronto said tunnel digging in a big hobby in Europe could have digging for fun.

Talk about nothing else to do!

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/tunnel-digging-as-a-hobby/

HalfBreed
02-24-2015, 05:34 PM
The sump pump they keep showing on the news looks eerily like an air compressor.

waterninja
02-24-2015, 05:46 PM
I think it was some ordinary joe who had enough of this cold winter and decided to dig in and hibernate. I can relate. Tired of shovelling snow, except when I'm ice fishing.

wasteland.soldier
02-24-2015, 05:49 PM
The sump pump they keep showing on the news looks eerily like an air compressor.

They're calling this a sump pump?

http://www.citynews.ca/files/2015/02/tunnel-compressor.jpg

Geezle
02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
They're calling this a sump pump?

http://www.citynews.ca/files/2015/02/tunnel-compressor.jpg

Typical :lol:

Edit: I haven't gone through all the stories on this topic, but there is one picture that has a water hose coming out of the tunnel, so I guess there does have to be a pump somewhere?

twofifty
02-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Well, it is a pump.
An evil looking black one.
;)

p.s. welcome back Oko.

From The Hip
02-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Maybe....just MAYBE...some guy decided to circumvent the high cost of Toronto real estate above ground and build below ground so as to avoid all the costs of real estate and property taxes.Of course it could have been an elaborately made undergound grow op that never got to the production stage and I am thinking this is the most likely option.

FTH

bat119
03-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Toronto tunnel dug by 2 men as 'man cave', police say

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-tunnel-dug-by-2-men-as-man-cave-police-say-1.2978109

Just two guys wanting a place to hangout ---- weird

Sooner
03-02-2015, 10:56 AM
In the weekend Journal there was a editorial cartoon showing a pile of bird seed above ground and the road runner eating from it, below in the bunker was Wylie coyote with a bunch of boom materials. Classic Road Runner, Wylie coyote battle.

2 guys went to a lot of work for a man cave. Sounds too easy of a answer but who knows.

Matt L.
03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Toronto tunnel dug by 2 men as 'man cave', police say

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-tunnel-dug-by-2-men-as-man-cave-police-say-1.2978109

Just two guys wanting a place to hangout ---- weird

No bar, no tv, no reloading bench...I'm sceptical of that theory.

Redfrog
03-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Well the skinny is in.:sHa_shakeshout:

The crack T.I.T.S. team [Toronto Investigative Tunnel Service] has discovered a pile of ashes in the tunnel. The forensic team has identified it. Apparently at one time it was a hunka, hunka burning love. Coupled with the discarded cheeseburger wrappers, it seems Elvis has moved back from Peru and is living in T.O.:)

Stinky Buffalo
03-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Apparently at one time it was a hunka, [I]hunka[\I] burning love.

Wouldn't that more accurately be "hunka bunka'"? :lol:

Okotokian
03-02-2015, 01:57 PM
No Charges???? I'm pretty sure they didn't own the land they constructed their "man cave" on.

Leeper
03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Too bad they couldn't have finished it. Looks like they were doing a pretty good job. Dangerous work, digging a tunnel. Leeper

JimPS
03-02-2015, 03:53 PM
No Charges???? I'm pretty sure they didn't own the land they constructed their "man cave" on.

No laws broken other than some minor Toronto By-law infractions. But they can't find where the dirt is - so no littering charges.

For the protection of our national security, this country really needs another Conservative Omnibus Anti Terror Crime Bill outlawing the construction of potential "terrorist man caves" on public property.

twofifty
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Knock on the door this am....had to register my nail guns.