PDA

View Full Version : Appendicitis recovery times?

Scottmisfits
02-23-2015, 07:43 PM
I went in to the hospital late Friday night, had surgery mid day Saturday, released mid day Sunday. I went and did a bunch of paperwork for short term disability because I'm being told I'll be off for a minimum of 6 weeks. Anyone have any real life experience, not just what the doc's say kinda thing? It's food off of my table if I can't go back to work. If I go back to early and screw something up with recovery it's even more food off the table though.

Is 6 weeks reasonable? No, it didn't burst, it was intact when they removed it.

pacs5
02-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Depending on what your job requires.

Normal activities can be resumed within a few days,
But it takes 4 to 6 weeks for full recovery.

:) Heavy lifting and strenuous activity should be avoided during recovery.

riden
02-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Sorry is this is a de rail

Same question for Gall Bladder surgery.

Scottmisfits
02-23-2015, 08:11 PM
I am in construction. So I am guessing that I really will be out what the doctors are saying. ��

Bushrat
02-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Had my appendix out when I was 16. I was out playing basketball a week later, still had the staples in. That was 40 years ago. No ill effects so far!

oldgutpile
02-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Had mine burst on me a few years back. doc said six weeks nothing more than ten pounds, which is kinda tough working in the meat packing industry.
I went in and was constantly doing more than I should have been. Sometimes I would lift sixty pound boxes out of my way, and ya, the incision lets you know when you screwed up!
You may be able to return much sooner than the suggested six weeks, depending on your physical conditioning prior to the surgery, but how much is too much when you risk tearing something open? Consult your physician. If you explain your situation in depth with him(physical aspects of the job, and dependancy to return to work for economic reasons) , he may lighten up and give more realistic guidelines to follow, that allow you to return in a reduced capacity earlier.
You need to be very cautious and aware at all times to make sure you dont overdo it and set yourself backwards in the healing department.

alacringa
02-23-2015, 08:41 PM
You might physically be able to go back sooner, but personally, I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of a tear, infection, etc. I'd talk things over seriously with your doc.

Sundancefisher
02-23-2015, 08:49 PM
I am in construction. So I am guessing that I really will be out what the doctors are saying. ��

Yes. I tried to take the bus and train to work after two weeks. It was painful and wish I hadn't. Take it easy and recover fully. I take it you had the less invasive method.

Scottmisfits
02-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Yeah, laparoscopic surgery. Even now, more than two days after the surgery, it hurts to walk. I was hitby a car while riding a bicycle when I was 17. It was close to a 100km/h collision. This appendicitis surgery recovery feels worse than that.

I can't even load up the vehiclesnd head to the range to try and sight in a rifle right now.....

FishingMOM
02-23-2015, 09:18 PM
I did gall bladder the hard way, did 10 days in hospital and only got out because I started pulling stuff out myself and threatened nurses.

hmmm whoda thunk.
Might have something to do with her shoving t3 in my mouth after I told her I was allergic, and she said shut up and take it anyways.

I went home and laid face down for a few weeks to recover.
Personally I find face down the most comfortable position after surgery.... Not sure why.
But then I could sleep on my stomach when pregnant too.

johnnyringo
02-23-2015, 09:25 PM
I had my gallbladder done last year (at 43) and my wife had her appendix right after (at 40). We were about the same, in bed and rest for the week, then slowly get back to life. 6 weeks is for full recovery (not lifting over 10lbs, etc.) but wee were both feeling good after a couple of weeks. I started back to weights, golf & soccer once the 6 weeks cleared. Don't push it as it's not worth getting a hernia & having more surgery!!

huntwat
02-23-2015, 09:29 PM
2 weeks you will feel like a million $'s. Don't trust that though. Wait at least 3 weeks. But don't take my word for it. listen to your Dr.

huntingaddict
02-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I've been there 3yrs ago I didn't listen and went on my moose hunt 3 days after having endoscopic. Same thing they told me. 6wks. But I was waiting 5yrs for my draw. Point is got my moose ripped my stitches packing it out ended up back in hospital for week due to infection and I had to be opened and restiched. So if they tell u 6weeks. At least allow yourself 3 weeks.

orangerr
02-24-2015, 05:47 AM
1 week for me. In construction and back to climbing walls, trusses etc. Just kept lifting to minimum.

Slash8
02-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Took me about 2 weeks before I could lift anything heavy. It hurt real good if I did. Listen to your body and talk to your doctor. The place I work at wont let anyone come back to full duties until cleared by a Physician. I would just take some time and heal up. Its better for you anyway, no point in ripping something open and they have to go in again to do a repair, then you're off longer anyway.

chauncy
02-24-2015, 06:48 AM
Had mine rupture about 10 years ago. I was off work 7 weeks. Listen to your Doctor, no need to have a setback with your recovery. Good luck hope you have a smooth recovery.

edmhunter
02-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Whie jogging years ago I was hit by a car in the back. Didn't know it but when he hit me my appendix ruptured. Walked around for 5 days before my GF told me I should go to the hospital because I didn't look well.

Had emergency surgery and was in the hospital for 10 days while the puss drained out of my body. Did not feel good for about two months.

omega50
02-24-2015, 08:21 AM
I am sure that medical advances mean small incisions.

I had my rupture on the Friday night of the May Long Weekend in 1978 while driving to Old Pinawa Dam. Drove myself to the hospital emergency surgery 2 hours later.
Released on the Tuesday.
Did not want to lose my job loading box cars with frozen turkeys so returned to work on Wednesday- Tore my incision open the first day and spent about 6 weeks in some fair pain. My buddies helped cover for me with the foreman so I was not sent home.
Scar still looks like it was done with a dull lawnmower blade.

Youth is so wasted on the young

Scottmisfits
02-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know it's still early but I needed to get up and get out. I spent about an hour at BPS this morning. Out of that hour I spent 20 minutes sitting on the benches. It just took a lot of energy out of me. I came home and slept for 2 hours to try to recover before my son gets home from school.

Thankfully I was given a bunch of the Field and Stream books. Maybe now I'll get around to reading them

Fisherpeak
02-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I know it's still early but I needed to get up and get out. I spent about an hour at BPS this morning. Out of that hour I spent 20 minutes sitting on the benches. It just took a lot of energy out of me. I came home and slept for 2 hours to try to recover before my son gets home from school.

Thankfully I was given a bunch of the Field and Stream books. Maybe now I'll get around to reading them

You just gave yourself the right advice.Kick back and heal.Had mine out too.