PDA

View Full Version : Best side by side (UTV)

Whitetail77
02-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Looking to buy a UTV and wonder what everyone's opinion on this topic is. I know everyone has their own favorite and opinions will vary, but I'm looking for something to use for both hunting and a bit of trail riding around the lake.

4x4 is a must and also something that I can take 1 or 2 passengers along. Not really considering a 2 row (front row/back row) setup and prefer to have everything in the front only. I think a front bench would be best for this?

arrow_baron
02-24-2015, 08:01 AM
RZR XP1K I picked mine up last year and am very happy with it.

Scottie
02-24-2015, 08:02 AM
I have a ranger 900, and its sweet. It has a bench seat so you can fit 3 people, large box to haul everything you need. It's a little wider then other utvs but you just plan where your going and your fine. I put a 2" lift and 28" tires to get some extra ground clearance, the 900 has no trouble turning them. The accessories for the ranger are the best on the market, everything looks factory and you can customize to whatever your needs are. I have a full cab, doors with power windows, a heater window whiper and stereo, I can actually get the wife to come for a ride in the fall!
Lots of options out there and everyone will have a different opinion, it all comes down to what you plan on doing with it and how much you want to spend.

buckbrushoutdoors
02-24-2015, 08:06 AM
We've had our ranger 800xp for 3 years now. I love it for taking the kids out and about. Good solid unit. I put about a 1000km a year on it and the only thing I've had to replace was a A arm and cv joint after I found a big rock hiding in the tall grass. Plenty enough power. Good on fuel and good clearance. It's not sporty by any means but it goes through just about anything that has a bottom. Rarely do I ever get stuck. Payload is awesome I can launch my jet boat with it and haul a ton of firewood back to the cabin.

jungleboy
02-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Front bench with room for 3 gives you a couple choices Yamaha Viking with basically the same 700cc drive train as the under powered Rhino in a heavier platform.
Polaris Ranger available in a 500 /800 or 900cc twin . I had a Rhino and now have a Ranger, although mine is the midsize so technically it is a two person machine with only 2 seatbelts. You can take an extra person in a pinch.I do really like my Ranger I hunt with it ,trail ride ,plow snow, use it for work around the yard. It has been a great all around machine.Smooth running good power and very reliable. The only thing I don't care for is the MacPherson strut front suspension. I get under steer in the corners at speed. My next machine will be the full size Ranger with A arm suspension up front.

I would also consider the New Honda Pioneer 500 but that is a smaller machine which only has room for max two people. I test rode one though and it handles well .I also liked the manual shift (paddle shifters on the steering wheel). I am not sure about this one other than it will have the Honda 500 engine which is good but may be a little light for a side by side.

SouthernBowHunter
02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
We got two John deeres on farm a older 625 and new 625 they are smaller but really have been good machines the older one almost has 5000 hours and now has some front end trouble but no surprise on way it's driven. I would make sure what ever u get has power steering.

coreya3212
02-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Front bench with room for 3 gives you a couple choices Yamaha Viking with basically the same 700cc drive train as the under powered Rhino in a heavier platform.

This statement is a bit misleading. While it is the same engine, thru a different cam they are higher horsepower than the Rhino. Having both, the top speed in the Rhino is mid 50's and the Viking we have had in the 80's.:)

And as mentioned in the post above, power steering is a very nice option for sure.

HuntingAlberta
02-24-2015, 08:49 AM
I've got two of the Polaris Rangers (800 and 900) and both are good. Comfortable with 2 people and adequate for 3 if required. They both have good power and with some Mudlites on them will go most places.

I just picked up a Honda 700 Pioneer. It is definitely slower but seems to be a workhorse. It has the second row of seats but it has the option of folding the rear two seats down and using the box or the third and fourth seat. The back rear seats have lots of room for a 6 foot tall man. I think it is a great feature as you can use it for 4 people or two with a box. We have only been out with it 3 times but seems to have lots of power, just slower. We haven't put it through the mud yet. It rides substantially higher than the Polaris though which is better for clearance but maybe tippy if you are on that kind of terrain.

Both are great machines.

Ice Fishing Maniac
02-24-2015, 09:02 AM
I have a Rhino (bought from my friend last year that is a Yamaha dealer-it was his personal machine-all done up with Fox Shocks, power steering, rear roll cage and seat with tons of other accessoires) but the newer Yamaha Viking gets my vote now.

Some good deals on used Rhinos out there. If you are a taller guy, the Viking would be better as more leg room with adjustable front seat.

Snowdog
02-24-2015, 09:30 AM
use buddy's ranger around camp and I love it windshield and 1/2 door are nice whipping back to camp after last light or loading an animal in -20. I use a Kawasaki Mule diesel around the farm and is a real mule and as such max km/h is about 45 in 2wd high range and it is screaming. It has the 2 rows of seat (6 adults is not bad for a few km, wouldn't do it all day) but the 2nd row fold up and the box extends where the seat was. Last winter I got my gm 3500 stuck on ice with the 20' equipment trailer behind with the bobcat on it, I couldn't go ahead and backing up was pushing the trailer into the fence so I put the mule in 4low, locked up and hooked on the back of the trailer and dragged the trailer with the bobcat on it sideways about 10' so I could back up away from the fence. I have got it stuck a few time mostly high centred because of low ground clearance and long frame on steep approaches. Def get a winch, you cant just push or rock them out like a quad.

burblecut
02-24-2015, 09:56 AM
I have a Honda pioneer 700-4. So far its been a great machine. I have put over 1200km on it in some rough bush and have had no issues. It isn't belt driven so that's a plus. I also like the polaris rangers, nice ri gs with lots of accessories. Make sure you have a snatch block for whatever you purchase. These things sink good in muskeg:) The main reason I went with pioneer was seating. I can take the whole family out camping and convert it back to a work horse. All machines are pretty good these days, just mod it to the terrain you are in.

6gunner
02-24-2015, 10:13 AM
I had a 2009 RZR and loved it, I regret selling it and going back to a 2 up quad. I ended up getting a 2013 Ranger 800 midsize and love it, the box is larger than the RZR so I can carry more stuff and it goes just about anywhere. I thought about the 900 but it is too wide for a lot of the areas that I play.

ceedub
02-24-2015, 02:12 PM
I have a John Deere XUV550 Gator. For around the farm it works great, I find it under powered for hunting and getting dirty. I wouldn't buy another.

-Craig

Whitetail77
02-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the posts. From what it sounds like the Polaris Ranger isn't a bad choice. Will have to continue my research before I make any final decisions. Al the information was very helpful so far

4thredneck
02-24-2015, 06:04 PM
John Deere 825i Gator, will out pull a Polairis hands down. Will out haul any machine out there, we have put over 5000 kms on ours will no problems. I use ours in the winter to plow snow as well.

oldgutpile
02-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Nobody running the kubota diesels?
I was actually looking at one last fall after seeing one or two out in the field. Full cab, lotsa power (diesel), and just last year they went to a new suspension system that is supposed to be cadilac! I have had too many times where I have sat out the 12:00 noon deadline to ride back to camp, hiding under a tree while it was peeing rain! The idea of a heated cab sounds real good on those days. Admittedly, they are fairly pricey.
NO, I am not a dealer!

jungleboy
02-24-2015, 06:39 PM
John Deere 825i Gator, will out pull a Polairis hands down. Will out haul any machine out there, we have put over 5000 kms on ours will no problems. I use ours in the winter to plow snow as well.

They also outweigh the full size ranger by 400+ lbs which may explain the ability to pull

dumoulin
02-24-2015, 07:45 PM
I'd take a ranger, RZR and can am out for a quick burn and go from there... I can tell you by experience; however, that the Rhino iand Ranger are good machines but a tad rough without a load. Both can be a bit boring because of power. The RZR are very smooth but aren't very practical when hauling. They are never boring though.

Raptor Boy
02-24-2015, 09:42 PM
I would look at the CFmoto product line.... Great Reviews and moor bang for your buck....

Hugenuge
02-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Looking to buy a UTV and wonder what everyone's opinion on this topic is. I know everyone has their own favorite and opinions will vary, but I'm looking for something to use for both hunting and a bit of trail riding around the lake.

4x4 is a must and also something that I can take 1 or 2 passengers along. Not really considering a 2 row (front row/back row) setup and prefer to have everything in the front only. I think a front bench would be best for this?

I went through the same search last year and at first i had a bi-est opinion that i was going to get the honda UTV but after looking at them, the viking, the wildcat and the ranger I felt for hunting and farm purpose the ranger was the way to go. Good low end torque for the pulling and hauling, I liked the fact you could take three people. Big cargo box and awesome accessories for this unit.