PDA

View Full Version : Advice for burbot?

Iceman4
02-24-2015, 07:38 AM
Headed out for a four day fishing trip this week and I'm excited to try to catch my first burb. Anyone have lure or presentation advice? I've heard big jig heads with minnows or other bait, slammed into the bottom to get their attention, and then let it sit on the bottom or just off the bottom?

Any advice would be appreciated, I've read some articles online but the more info the beter. Thanks

waterninja
02-24-2015, 11:29 AM
My nickles worth. Have one dead stick with a treble and even a stinger loaded with minnows. Keep it right on the bottom or an inch above. Make sure the bottom is sandy/muddy/gravel, NOT grassy. Check it every 10 min or so because a lot of times you can have one on but they haven't set off bell. Don't have to be in very deep water when spawn is on. 15-20' is fine.
A fair sized jig head tipped with a minnow. My favourite color is white or bright orange/yellow. bounce off bottom to stir up a cloud. then let it lie still for awhile on bottom or inch above. They are very active after dark. Good luck.

The Fisherman Guy
02-24-2015, 11:38 AM
If you have a camera, it will definitely help. Orient your camera, looking down, a few feet under the ice, so you can see bottom and your jig.

I find that the Owner football jigs work great, the hooks are deadly sharp. Tip them with smelt or minnow, and pound bottom with it. When you see a burb swimming by, smack bottom with it. The burb will likely turn toward it, using their lateral line, they detect vibration very well and use it like radar to find your jig. Keep pounding bottom until they find it.

They are pretty slow this time of year, so it's best to give them a few seconds to eat it, once they find it. If you set the hook too early, you will miss the fish.

Good luck out there, and happy burbin'

Mitchthefisher
02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
I catch a ton at gull lake dead sticking a big smelt on a treble just off the bottom in 4-6 fow. I would also try a green jig with a blade on it tipped with a minnow its been working well.

Iceman4
02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the tips, can't wait to try them out! I do have a camera and will try that out. I'm kind of surprised with all the fishing I've done I haven't caught one while going after other species, but I haven't been to many lakes that are well known for them and we are usually gone by dark.

Thanks again!

CK Angler
02-25-2015, 12:55 PM
You can sent up a tip up and lay big bait on the bottom, I've caught more burbs on tip ups with the bait on the bottom then suspended above, however I recommend using a circle hook, they would inhale our quick strike rigs deep Ultimately killing them, we did keep them to eat so it was ok then, but I won't use rigs anymore like that for burbs... I wouldn't be happy with myself if I landed a trophy that way only to kill it...

Good luck

EZM
02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
The jig and minnow with intermittent pounding of the sand/mud is a great tip. Agreed.

I have also caught quite a few Burbs on a small rattlin' rap with a minnow ..... same technique.

It pretty cool to watch them slowly slide into an ambush spot a few inches from your bait and suddenly, without warning spring into life and engulf your bait ..... pretty cool to watch on the camera. Sometimes they bury themselves and burrow toward your bait taking minutes to sneak up on it.

The Reel Deal
02-25-2015, 03:02 PM
The jig and minnow with intermittent pounding of the sand/mud is a great tip. Agreed.

I have also caught quite a few Burbs on a small rattlin' rap with a minnow ..... same technique.

It pretty cool to watch them slowly slide into an ambush spot a few inches from your bait and suddenly, without warning spring into life and engulf your bait ..... pretty cool to watch on the camera. Sometimes they bury themselves and burrow toward your bait taking minutes to sneak up on it.

X2
I haven't witnessed a burb strike on camera yet but I've caught a few just covered in mud

bang_on_sk
02-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Don't know if cray-fish are legal bait in Alberta, but the few I've seen have been crammed full of them

Geezle
02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Don't know if cray-fish are legal bait in Alberta, but the few I've seen have been crammed full of them

Crayfish are not legal to use for bait in AB.

crownb
02-25-2015, 04:06 PM

Might be a stupid question, but do the underwater cameras work in the dark?

blgoodbrand1
02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
Might be a stupid question, but do the underwater cameras work in the dark?

Some have lights on them, not sure if they all do.