PDA

View Full Version : Raymarine Dragonfly

Bobby B.
02-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Does any own or have any experince with the Dragonfly? Looks like a great fishfinder.

Bobby

jwloco
02-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Does any own or have any experince with the Dragonfly? Looks like a great fishfinder.

Bobby

I was looking at the raymarine Dragonfly last year and ended up going with a lowrance Elite 5 HDI as it seemed to be better and more cost effective. Just my opinion.

Bobby B.
02-24-2015, 01:11 PM
I own the Elite 7 HDI and the images are not even close in clarity to the Dragonfly's Down Imaging.

Bobby

cube
02-24-2015, 01:49 PM

Bobby

When I was looking at the Dragon fly the thing that turned me off was the fact that it was not true CHIRP but rather Chirp light.

Robmcleod82
02-24-2015, 02:17 PM
Dragonfly looks to be great bang for buck. It came highly reccomended to me from a couple serious salmon fisherman. Im going to be purchasing the Raymarine A78 here shortly as I really like the wifi capability and expandibility of the platform. If my budget was in the dragonfly area pretty sure thats what I would purchase. West Marine in Nanaimo seemed to have the best Raymarine prices I could find, they had a hell of a deal on the A78 without WIFI think they only wanted 800 and it came with the navionics gold card.

cube
02-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Dragonfly looks to be great bang for buck. It came highly reccomended to me from a couple serious salmon fisherman. Im going to be purchasing the Raymarine A78 here shortly as I really like the wifi capability and expandibility of the platform. If my budget was in the dragonfly area pretty sure thats what I would purchase. West Marine in Nanaimo seemed to have the best Raymarine prices I could find, they had a hell of a deal on the A78 without WIFI think they only wanted 800 and it came with the navionics gold card.

How did West's prices compare to Stevston's Maine?

EZM
02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
I would suggest that almost any unit out there will have very similar performance using CHIRP technology. Really, all it is a series of signals, close together, that render a more defined (higher definition) signal to give you a more accurate rendering (picture) of whats below you with added target resolution (crisp accurate details).

It's more about what you want to add to your unit, what features you will use etc...

Transducer choices is a BIG but often overlooked piece of the puzzle. If you do mostly prairie lake fishing you are going to want a frequency (or dual, quad cone) that lets you cover more area (wider cone) for shallower water.

The other consideration is finding compatible parts, cords, transducers, other units, modules, etc... the unit will need. Raymarine is not common out here in the prairies - but maybe most stuff is overnight on Fed/Ex so maybe not a big deal.

Raymarine looks like a decent unit with decent features.

All the CHIRP units will be able to operate in deeper water, at a high def. There should be very little difference in performance among similarly priced units.

cube
02-25-2015, 02:29 PM
I would suggest that almost any unit out there will have very similar performance using CHIRP technology. Really, all it is a series of signals, close together, that render a more defined (higher definition) signal to give you a more accurate rendering (picture) of whats below you with added target resolution (crisp accurate details).

It's more about what you want to add to your unit, what features you will use etc...

Transducer choices is a BIG but often overlooked piece of the puzzle. If you do mostly prairie lake fishing you are going to want a frequency (or dual, quad cone) that lets you cover more area (wider cone) for shallower water.

The other consideration is finding compatible parts, cords, transducers, other units, modules, etc... the unit will need. Raymarine is not common out here in the prairies - but maybe most stuff is overnight on Fed/Ex so maybe not a big deal.

Raymarine looks like a decent unit with decent features.

All the CHIRP units will be able to operate in deeper water, at a high def. There should be very little difference in performance among similarly priced units.

The Dragon fly is not a true CHIRP. More like CHIRP light. ie it is not as you said "a series of signals, close together, that render a more defined (higher definition) signal". It is just 2 signals not the spectrum of signals so is not as good as other true CHIRP. Probably still better than a standard sonar though.

cube
02-25-2015, 04:24 PM
The Dragon fly is not a true CHIRP. More like CHIRP light. ie it is not as you said "a series of signals, close together, that render a more defined (higher definition) signal". It is just 2 signals not the spectrum of signals so is not as good as other true CHIRP. Probably still better than a standard sonar though.

So Sorry

The new Dragonfly's do indeed appear to offer full Chirp