PDA

View Full Version : gopro deal - help

beaver hunter
02-24-2015, 01:14 PM
Looking for find the best deal on a gopro 3+ package, does anyone have the package from costco? It seems to be a good deal....

huntsfurfish
02-24-2015, 01:18 PM
I have two(3+Black) from Xmas. I thought they were a good deal(from Costco).

wildside2014
02-24-2015, 01:33 PM
I see a lot of guys on this forum specifically talking about the gopros for self filming hunts. They are good little cameras but their effective quality use is soooo small. I personally would invest my money in a good new or used Nikon D3100 or something along those lines with wireless mics and tripod. You will get such a better quality of video its not even comparable. If your looking to do youtube videos and actually get people following you, the eyes grow pretty tired watching a screen bounce around with poor sound quality. A lot of guys Ive found get pretty frustrated after rolling their gopro for hours on end only to have a few minutes of usable film, and in turn buy two or 3 more gopros to supplement from different angles and so they can fix a stationary mount for film while wearing a unit, but then your up in price to what all of the above that I listed could be bought for.

Theres so many guys in Canada that think because they have a few gopros they can make a quality tv show, and most often those are the guys that never see any sort of success. Not even remotely saying you want a tv show, but just amking a point. Quality optics and true sound equipment can go a really long way at a pretty reasonable price.

Just my two bits

EZM
02-24-2015, 01:51 PM
I was a little surprised at your comments regarding the go-pro poor quality. I haven't heard this, but then again, I am no expert in this area for sure.

I noticed they were using the go-pro's to film Gold Rush (a discovery TV show) and they had them mounted on construction equipment, conveyors, etc... and they seemed to capture some pretty cool shots.

I was thinking about getting one .... I guess I will do a little added research before I drop some bucks on a new set of toys.

Djm2u
02-24-2015, 02:07 PM
As an owner of many gopro (Had every edition since the first.). I can state that they are amazing cameras. BUT you need to know how to set them and how to edit the footage after.

This video is shot 100% on a gopro 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U

I personally dont see any quality issues? The new 3+ and 4 are nothing short of amazing. But again you need to know how to edit the video.

Oh and on a side note I have a GOPRO Hero version 1 and version 2 for sale.

wildside2014
02-24-2015, 02:43 PM
I was a little surprised at your comments regarding the go-pro poor quality. I haven't heard this, but then again, I am no expert in this area for sure.

I noticed they were using the go-pro's to film Gold Rush (a discovery TV show) and they had them mounted on construction equipment, conveyors, etc... and they seemed to capture some pretty cool shots.

I was thinking about getting one .... I guess I will do a little added research before I drop some bucks on a new set of toys.

I guess I missed on being clear with my post. When I said quality I wasn't referring to a stationary mounted clarity issue with the film. I was referring to constant use filming anything. Yep tv shows use them. Our show uses them, a lot actually, but theres a reason very limited footage from the 29 gopros we put into use actually gets edited into a 22 minute episode.

Gotta look at the whole package boys.....including sound.

alpineman
02-24-2015, 02:44 PM
I recently picked up the GoPro hero 3 kit from Costco and been using it here in Mexico, for deep sea fishing and snorkelling and it has been working great. For what you get in the kit its a great deal.

huntsfurfish
02-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Guess it depends on use. Lots of people using them. And appear quite happy with them. My 2 bits.:)

Would like to see you strap that nikon to your head. Lol

beaver hunter
02-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Ha that video is great, all about the editing though.

dumoulin
02-24-2015, 06:20 PM
I have the 3+ silver. I see no need to bump up to a black or 4+. If it's for the remote, the phone app works better than the remote as you can see on you device what the camera is filming in real time. Very cool.

superuke
02-24-2015, 06:25 PM
I picked up 2 video lights from UK Products Canada in Edmonton with the mounting attachments for GoPro's. Nice addition! Amazing results above and under water.

Djm2u
02-25-2015, 06:26 AM
If your into slow motion get the 4 black. Here is a egg getting shot video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25SfqaBsOaQ

Leafy
02-25-2015, 08:34 AM
For personal use these little camera's are fine if that is what your looking at... For actual footage in a hunting situation, they make for a great 2nd or 3rd angle but that is about all as Wild has already indicated.

I run the NX5U as the prime and multiple small cam's for other angles...

Don't forget if you are REAL serious about filming, well hunting takes a second seat to capturing your experience on film.

All the best.

winged1
02-25-2015, 09:14 AM
Gopro is all about perspective. It's put artistry into many hands. You stuffy old boys with your expensive equipment better take note that a new kid on the block is kicking your azz.

wildside2014
02-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Gopro is all about perspective. It's put artistry into many hands. You stuffy old boys with your expensive equipment better take note that a new kid on the block is kicking your azz.

lol I don't even know how to take this post lol

Im not old, im 31. Well, I get told im not old ha!

Leafy is on the same page as me though. If you ACTUALLY want to legitimately film hunts or fishing outtings, Gopros are great for covering unique angles, but far from what is best for making a finalized quality watchable product. Feel free to let me know of one good television show that is filmed exclusively on a gopro and ill eat my words.

My posts aren't meant to initiate combativeness,. Just offering an opinion on how to help guys be really satisfied with their version of a tv show is all.

thumper
02-25-2015, 12:37 PM
If you're thinking of going 'Go-Pro' but don't necessarily need the latest and greatest edition ( And they seem to upgrade models faster than I-phones), then check out your local face-book 'buy & sell' forums. I know they're always coming up for sale on our local forums as the techno-junkies upgrade to the newest models.

Nova
02-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Leafy is on the same page as me though. If you ACTUALLY want to legitimately film hunts or fishing outtings, Gopros are great for covering unique angles, but far from what is best for making a finalized quality watchable product. Feel free to let me know of one good television show that is filmed exclusively on a gopro and ill eat my words.

My posts aren't meant to initiate combativeness,. Just offering an opinion on how to help guys be really satisfied with their version of a tv show is all.

It's a fair point but I don't imagine many people who are looking for a rugged point of view action camera are doing so with the intention of producing a tv show. As a DSLR owner I would agree that they will produce much better quality, but I would not subject my DSLR to the situations that the GoPro has been designed for.

wildside2014
02-25-2015, 01:27 PM
It's a fair point but I don't imagine many people who are looking for a rugged point of view action camera are doing so with the intention of producing a tv show. As a DSLR owner I would agree that they will produce much better quality, but I would not subject my DSLR to the situations that the GoPro has been designed for.

Don't need to be using a DSLR to produce a tv show man. Youre taking me out of context. Most guys are filming their hunts to make a watchable product. In my own opinion DSLR is the way to go.

winged1
02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Feel free to let me know of one good television show that is filmed exclusively on a gopro and ill eat my words.

it's not combat, it's collaboration. It's the new social media, it's content, it's ideas. No technical process can make up the lack of, but it's presence can forgive quality. The true wealth of Gopro is exploding into the visual medias in a profound way.

'old' is like, oh no, not another hunting TV show.

Gerv
02-25-2015, 02:22 PM
anybody use the drift brand cameras? one of my buddies uses one on his kayak and snowmobile, quality seems pretty reasonable, pretty sure its a fair bit cheaper too.

colour86
02-25-2015, 02:25 PM
i got a spypoint xcell HD for xmas. looking forward to trying it out this year. cheaper then gopro, comes with a bunch of mounts /accs and its more tuned towards hunting. came with a bow mount and a scope mount kit, wrist strap with a record button so you dont have to play with the camera when filming. will do a review when i get it out.

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/xcel-hd-action-camera/product-XCEL-HD.html

mrks_jnz
02-25-2015, 03:00 PM
i got a spypoint xcell HD for xmas. looking forward to trying it out this year. cheaper then gopro, comes with a bunch of mounts /accs and its more tuned towards hunting. came with a bow mount and a scope mount kit, wrist strap with a record button so you dont have to play with the camera when filming. will do a review when i get it out.

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/xcel-hd-action-camera/product-XCEL-HD.html

x2

also interested to see how the spypoint xcel stacks against the gopro. on paper they seem quite close. close on price point too. +1 on the scope/bow mounts. to buy similar mounts from gopro is another hundy.

beaver hunter
03-23-2015, 08:00 PM
Finally bought one. Found a silver 4 (used once) and a Gopro chest harness for $375!