PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Sierra tire sensors

TBark
02-24-2015, 03:12 PM
I picked up my 2012 Sierra 4x4 last week.
I needed to repair a tire valve soon after so I am getting familiar with what codes now can come in on the tire monitor system and what for.
Question is, I am looking for a second set of rubber with mudders or winter tread, if I decide to not install tire pressure sensors on these other rims, will the tire monitor system code be in alarm continually ?
If so can I disable this code ?

TBark

Sooner
02-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, it will keep notifying you of low tire pressure. My 04 explorer has the tire pressure monitoring system and when i run the winter steel rims the warning goes off as much as i reset the button. If i don't reset it, it just shows a light on the dash and will only beep once and a while. It is pretty costly to add sensors to steel wheels from what my tire shop said. I decided I can push the reset button for free many times over but it does get annoying at times.

Don't know Gm, i'm sure someone else can tell you if it can be disabled.

iceburg
02-24-2015, 05:15 PM
I've been told guys are taking them out of the tires, putting them inside an enclosed pvc pipe with a valve stem installed, pressure it up and put it under the drivers seat.

gmcmax05
02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I picked up my 2012 Sierra 4x4 last week.
I needed to repair a tire valve soon after so I am getting familiar with what codes now can come in on the tire monitor system and what for.
Question is, I am looking for a second set of rubber with mudders or winter tread, if I decide to not install tire pressure sensors on these other rims, will the tire monitor system code be in alarm continually ?
If so can I disable this code ?

TBark

You will have a message in your DIC everytime you start your vehicle, & the tire icon on the gauge cluster illuminated. Also, the tires you have in storage for summer or winter will have to have the TPM's reprogrammed when you re-install them as they lose communication with your vehicle. So if you can live with that, no problem.

TBark
02-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys.
Ya, I don't want dash flags, More of a headache if u ask me, too much technology.
Not so sure you get a low tire pressure flag if sensors are not there, on the 2012 anyways.
Web says a "check tire monitor system" flag will pop up if no communication with sensors.
I like icebergs suggestion, keep them close and in a pressure can of some kind.
I'll keep searching for a way to disable the tire monitoring.

TBark

Beeman
02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
I disabled the warning light on my wifes minivan with a little square of electrical tape. Problem solved.

birdee
02-24-2015, 06:32 PM
it is illegal to disable the tpms .that being said some people have been known to take them all out and throw them in the spare tire ,,, air them up and viola
bob's your uncle.:thinking-006:

600twin
02-24-2015, 07:10 PM
You will have a message in your DIC everytime you start your vehicle, & the tire icon on the gauge cluster illuminated. Also, the tires you have in storage for summer or winter will have to have the TPM's reprogrammed when you re-install them as they lose communication with your vehicle. So if you can live with that, no problem.

On GMC Sierra it is easy to do and does not require any special tools to reprogram . It is even listed in the owners manual. Goes something like turn key to run position then hit lock and unllock on the key fob at the same time and tire learn mod will flash in the dash. Then start at the drivers front letting out air until the horn blows twice then go to the passenger front repeat then passenger rear and drivers rear. Then just fill tires to proper PSI. You can get them on ebay for 50 bucks a set.

blacknorthernjk
02-24-2015, 11:50 PM
it is illegal to disable the tpms .that being said some people have been known to take them all out and throw them in the spare tire ,,, air them up and viola
bob's your uncle.:thinking-006:

Not sure where you ever heard that.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/roadsafety-1158.htm

gmcmax05
02-25-2015, 05:04 AM
On GMC Sierra it is easy to do and does not require any special tools to reprogram . It is even listed in the owners manual. Goes something like turn key to run position then hit lock and unllock on the key fob at the same time and tire learn mod will flash in the dash. Then start at the drivers front letting out air until the horn blows twice then go to the passenger front repeat then passenger rear and drivers rear. Then just fill tires to proper PSI. You can get them on ebay for 50 bucks a set.

Have tried that, light still stays on, I just go to where I had my tires mounted & the dude reprograms them, takes all of 1 minute.

600twin
02-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Have tried that, light still stays on, I just go to where I had my tires mounted & the dude reprograms them, takes all of 1 minute.

You didn't do it right then. I have done it about a Dozen times on mine and it works every time no light no warnings.

WCTHEMI
02-25-2015, 08:55 PM
I think if you get a programmer, you should be able to disable the TPMS. Might be just as cheap to pick up TPMS sensors to put in your aftermarket wheels if you are planning on switching them over in the spring/fall.

boonedocks
02-25-2015, 09:26 PM
If the temperature is below-20 your truck is most likely going to tell you that the tires are low anyways, at least mine does, drive me nuts! 2012 gmc:)

jpohlic
02-26-2015, 06:33 AM
I disabled the warning light on my wifes minivan with a little square of electrical tape. Problem solved.

x2

We have a 2008 Grand Caravan and the TPMS valve stems are so fragile they've all broken off at one time or another. The kid at the Quick Lube broke one off checking the tire pressure, I broke another one spinning the hub cap around to the right spot after rotating tires, broke another one off adding air to the tire. Pieces of crap if you ask me. Now all my tires have standard valve stems and I'm out a 1/2" of electrical tape!

I really enjoy driving my 87 Landcruiser with its distinct lack of technology.

overhere
02-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Putting sensors in spare tire won't work they are motion activated ie tires have roll at certain speed min And min distance before transmitting

blgoodbrand1
02-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Putting sensors in spare tire won't work they are motion activated ie tires have roll at certain speed min And min distance before transmitting

How is it that if my spare is low it sets off my light?

600twin
02-26-2015, 06:35 PM
To the people that want to put them in the spare what do you do when you need to use the spare? Let them beat themselves up inside the rim.