PDA

View Full Version : o'bama vetoes KEYSTONE

TBD
02-24-2015, 04:14 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_KEYSTONE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Selkirk
02-24-2015, 04:21 PM
No surprise there ... it was expected.

Mac

Bigwoodsman
02-24-2015, 04:40 PM
No surprise there ... it was expected.

Mac

He always said he would. A politician who keeps his word! It's all partisan, and he won't make any waves for the next in line.

BW

TBD
02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
... but what a national embarrassment - defying both houses.

when his own review cited that Alberta's oil sands would be developed anyways and that building the pipeline would not result in an increase to carbon emissions. Heck we even got the green light from the Europeans ?

... this is purely political, and he's throwing a strategic ally under the bus to appease his green supporters / Canadian Oil & Gas competitors / ... ect ect - the guys a moron !

what happened to his long winded speeches about energy development and security from unfriendly mid-east gov'ts ?

who's this guy working for ?

TBD

PS ... another reason Prentice must move full steam ahead on Northern Gateway ! ... AND check into NAFTA maybe we can SUE them ?

Map Maker
02-24-2015, 04:48 PM
its pretty crazy the perception of the "tar sands".
Even friends and family across Canada, when they say tar sands, they say it so negatively.

Yet, both of our nations have no problem sending our money over to the Middle East to buy their oil.

I say screw it all, and put natural gas at the forefront of all combustible fuels.
Its cleaner, its more available, you can use it right out of the ground (no refinery) and everyone has an option of having a pump in their garage.

Dr. Fish
02-24-2015, 04:51 PM
I would love to know what group is paying him off to stop the pipeline.

Bigwoodsman
02-24-2015, 04:57 PM

ISIS? :thinking-006::test:

BW

wasteland.soldier
02-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Yet, both of our nations have no problem sending our money over to the Middle East to buy their oil.

Or to Nigeria, a kleptocracy run by a different ethnic group than the one that lives in the production areas, whose livelihood (fishing) is damaged by production.

Or to Putin, one of the most destabilizing influences on the world stage right now.

I say screw it all, and put natural gas at the forefront of all combustible fuels.
Its cleaner, its more available, you can use it right out of the ground (no refinery) and everyone has an option of having a pump in their garage.

And have heavy pressure vessels in every car?

Map Maker
02-24-2015, 05:03 PM
And have heavy pressure vessels in every car?

There's propane on the road right now.
We can make it safe. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Mulehahn
02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
It is not stupid. It is politics. The project is not dead. It is already being built down south. And with oil low right now big companies in Canada are hesitant to start a huge project like this (atleast until they have secured lower wages). This way he can have his cake and eat it to. It doesn't really cost him anything to veto it now, and when it makes its way through the state department again it will be next year. Right in time for an election and his going away party. The republicans will always support it. In a year when it comes up again it will pass, there will be a huge influx of jobs in the USA while at the same time the leftist greenies will have been apeased, and both sides will claim a huge victory months before the election. People have short memories.

TBD
02-24-2015, 05:08 PM
There's propane on the road right now.

on our rail lines !

JamesB
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM

One of his big supporters is Warren Buffet who also owns lots of rail lines carrying crude oil. But Warren does not want the pipeline because it will cause environmental damage :rolleyes:

Sashi
02-24-2015, 05:24 PM
What else would you expect from the anti-christ.:)

wasteland.soldier
02-24-2015, 05:32 PM
One of his big supporters is Warren Buffet who also owns lots of rail lines carrying crude oil. But Warren does not want the pipeline because it will cause environmental damage :rolleyes:

I don't know if his position has changed, but I've read several quotes from Mr. Buffet where he says that while it would be financially bad for him, Keystone is the right thing for America.

Selkirk
02-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Relax Boys! These things take time. The US President and Congress are having a game of chess over Keystone. Rest assured, the game isn't over yet.

And I agree with TDB. Keystone, or not, we need to get Northern Gateway built ... and the sooner the better!

Mac

silverdoctor
02-24-2015, 05:41 PM
And people are surprised that Obama did what he said he was going to do? It would have created 40 jobs or something down south? Not worth it.

The US has become the biggest producer in the world, drilling and fracing like mad. Want to know why the price of oil bombed? There you go, there's a glut.

wasteland.soldier
02-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Silverdoctor, it's not about creating jobs. It's about moving crude safely and efficiently. You don't run a country by only approving projects because they create jobs.

And I agree with TDB. Keystone, or not, we need to get Northern Gateway built ... and the sooner the better!

Mac

Agreed. We can't allow our economy to rely solely on American politics and internal production capacity. We need to have access to Asian energy markets.

fish_e_o
02-24-2015, 05:46 PM
i don't want it because it means we will send more unrefined oil to the us.

we should be refining more here and creating CANADIAN jobs

Head Lice
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Moved away from Alberta in '68 ..... not up on Alberta politics/issues ... that said, is it feasible to refine in Alberta, and ship/pipeline a refined product ? Just asking, thanks ...

waterninja
02-24-2015, 05:54 PM
First it was the "iron horse". Then the hwys. Then the power transmission lines. Now it's pipelines. They all had opposition, and they all got built in the end. Way of the world.
I'm sure I missed some like huge dam constructions and others.

hoocli
02-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Obama will always veto it... he's just running out of "good" excuses.

Crankbait
02-24-2015, 07:17 PM
noticed similar post

I_forget
02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't mind keystone XL being veto'd. Energy east is what Canada needs. Keep the jobs in Canada. Why give jobs to the Americans, they don't even appreciate them.

TBD
02-24-2015, 07:32 PM
Energy east is what Canada needs. Keep the jobs in Canada. Why give jobs to the Americans, they don't even appreciate them.

Energy east would be nice and to get some co-operation from ON and QC in the development of this important resource would help relax everyone out west - problem is they got the wealth transfer (Justin's carbon tax) ready to go ! ... why work with alberta when they've got Canada's majority needed to skim all the crème of the top ....:rolleyes:

Alberta's oil sands have proven reserves of about 168 billion barrels-the third-largest proven crude oil reserve in the world, after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.

that could supply the entire needs of North America for over 100 years

in a 100 yrs - refining as we know it will be obsolete - in the meantime if we can get some refining going - I agree ... but why delay the development of this important world reserve so we can keep all the jobs ?

plenty to go around ...

TBD

PS ... time to get a responsible / fiscally conservative gov't in place so that the royalties are properly managed / invested and the heritage trust fund grows for all our benefit - there's no bloody reason any of us living here should be worried about paying bills in our retirement ...

... time to throw out the thieves !

Heyupduck
02-24-2015, 07:35 PM
I don't mind keystone XL being veto'd. Energy east is what Canada needs. Keep the jobs in Canada. Why give jobs to the Americans, they don't even appreciate them.

Look at all the refineries east of Edmonton - I came to this city in 88 and they were there then. Those refineries have paid a decent income to a lot of working men and women, and have supported their families for a long time. All that spending money has created other jobs, and everybody is paying taxes.

Some people want Alberta to be like some third world country exporting a raw product so the profits can be reaped elsewhere.

You want to support a low paid illegal immigrant in the USA? Build the pipeline.
You want to be like some third world country exporting coffee for nickels on the dollar - build the pipeline.
You want to keep the wages and taxes here? Pipeline bad idea.
Screw the NDP too. Even they don't have the guts to refine the whole product - they say "mine it here, refine it here" but they really mean Mine it here, upgrade it here"
If you have to ship it out of province, at least send it to another part of Canada so the wealth isn't wasted
- my rant

bucksnbears
02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
i'm ashamed my country voted this P.O.S. in.

marxman
02-24-2015, 07:55 PM
The americans dont need it that bad and so shouldnt build it i think its all about controlling oil routes not efficiency and it will be bad for alberta if albertans think the americans will pay more for their oil than eastern canada just because eastern canadians are bloodsuckers they are mistaken send it east americans want alberta oil cheap and theyl get it with keystone. I dont know why harper wants keystone wouldnt the feds need an nep to cash in

marxman
02-24-2015, 07:57 PM
i'm ashamed my country voted this P.O.S. in.

What about the huge pos mit romney you should be ashamed of yourself not your country

I_forget
02-24-2015, 08:03 PM
What about the huge pos mit romney you should be ashamed of yourself not your country

What do you have against Romney

Chernobyl Ant
02-24-2015, 08:05 PM
What else would you expect from the anti-christ.:)

Mmm not quite ;) more like the false prophet :)

marxman
02-24-2015, 08:24 PM
What do you have against Romney

All the dirty stuff his companies do like take away peoples pensions and how he tries to get the ordinary people on his side he needs their votes you know but a lot of them are actually 47 percenters and how many 47 percenters does romney need that he wont actually represent thankfully a lot of 47 percenters didnt think they were really the losers romney thought they were

marxman
02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Sorry election is over i seem to remember making a lot of similar posts pre election anyway thumbs down keystone from me i dont trust the interests involved for the public interest either side of the border

PGH
02-24-2015, 08:56 PM
keystone isn't dead yet...senate and the house can override the veto if they can muster up 2/3 of votes to do so. but that's a tall order...

Sooner
02-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Not surprised at the Veto. I also believe east and west are the money ticket to getting the best bang for our oil. I like the idea of a Northern corridor to move resources across the country. And i know the logistics and costs are astronomical, not worth it etc but I think we need to invest in a refinery and ship finished product as well as the raw.

flint guy
02-24-2015, 09:47 PM
Wasnt one of the issues to refining in Alberta, the power consumption? Correct me if Im wrong. I would love to see (sorry greenpeace) a nuclear power program here, to support the oilsands needs, to provide excess power for pumping into the grid and to solidify requirements for future investment and development. It would attract a whole new breed of skilled trades and professionals. Thats just me. In the mean time we can sell the electricity to the Yankies, probably for a price as south as the power travels. It could add a new element to our industry, maybe be world leaders in nuclear development and enviromental standards to help draw attention to the province. That reminds me, who watches the price of coal, and the supply and demand cost excuses for our utilities? Oops, thats a whole new topic.
I would prefer to see the oil go east and west myself, because of the jobs and bennefit to Canadians, not just Albertans. I,m no economist but is market diversification not a key element in maintaining a sustainable income? Why keep putting all the eggs into the red white and blue basket? Chinas market has slowed down, but still is a major production vs consumer based economy. Seemingly this would be a people who will have a long term need for our product, a people who are doing quite well in a buisness sense. Putin may resent the idea, and possibly the saudi's. Then there is the rest of Europe...

TBD
02-24-2015, 10:31 PM
... this is what the USDA did with American wheat in the 60's - 70's ( to create a self sustainable food production industry ).

sell the raw product at an attractive price point, help eastern Asian / European foreign gov'ts get setup with the refinery equipment to produce the needed fuels and/or petrochemicals from our bitumen.

Solidify our markets by investing in these energy partnerships.

When foreign gov'ts have setup bitumen refining capacity our markets are guaranteed !

score
02-24-2015, 10:47 PM
This was expected from Obuma. Rest assured Keystone will be built.

JD848
02-24-2015, 11:17 PM
The keystone will be built, Obama has so many lies and bs to cover up he doesn't Know if no means yes.I am not from alberta but a lot of people from other provinces have made a darn good living in alberta so this is not just about alberta.The whole country needs alberta like it or not it is what it is .THANKS

dantonsen
02-25-2015, 07:06 AM
I dont get why they waste soo much time on keystone down there when it is obviously going to be vetoed. yet the bill goes around and around annnnnd around then aroooouuuunnnd again.

The usa isnt anti tarsands, they still buy every drop just at a cheaper prices because of logistics bottlenecks:)

The usa benefits more buy squishing the price down then exporting the refined products. The gap between canadian select and international finished products is pretty large. The us exports 3 million bbls of finished products per day.

Keystone gives optionality to usa refiners aswell and throws canada up against other heavy oils at the same groups of refineries which usually take saudi or south american heavy oils. Getting canadian oil can twist the price down for other heavy crudes coming into the same destination forcing price wars to keep customers (refiners)

Keystone isnt the savoir everyone thinks it is it basically just gets oil off the rails and adds to the glut of heavy oil flowing into the gulf.

Mountain Adventurer
02-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Obama is such a terd nugget on so many different levels. Oil produced in 2014 led by the USA over any other producer. And people say OPEC should cut back production. Greedy Americans :budo:

midgetwaiter
02-25-2015, 01:44 PM
I dont get why they waste soo much time on keystone down there when it is obviously going to be vetoed. yet the bill goes around and around annnnnd around then aroooouuuunnnd again.

Remember this is the same congress that has voted to repeal the Affordable Health Care Act 56 times now, pointless political posturing is their whole game plan. Obama's issue with the bill has nothing to do with the pipeline per se, it has always been the executive that is responsible for international agreements. The Senate ratifies (or not) the agreement after the fact but the legislature has no business getting involved directly in international agreements.

Even if Obama signed that bill it still wouldn't get anything done anyway. This time last year a judge in Nebraska shut down the state's plan to use Eminent Domain to get TCPL the land they need to build the pipeline. As recently as two weeks ago there was an injunction upheld by a Nebraska District Court.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/judge-grants-temporary-injunction-to-stop-some-keystone-xl-condemnation/article_6795d866-f71d-562c-83c4-d6f493135444.html

The only thing this bill was designed to do is get headlines.

KGB
02-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Let's go with the money trail: who benefits most from blocking Canadian oil from coming to the US market? Who is the main supplier of oil to the US?
Who finance green peace and tells them to climb on top of Canadian oil sands production plant? What do you think would've happened to the group of people who climbs on top of the Derrick somewhere in Saudi Arabia? Take a wild guess.

TBD
02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
let's go down the list ....

1) opec nations, headed by Saudi Arabia
2) Venezuela
3) Warren Buffett (huge investments in CA renewable energy projects)
4) Tom Steyer ^ same
5) Rockefeller Foundation
6) the green movement (environmentalists)

O'bama and the dems are obviously on the take - Hillary will pick up the torch with these blokes and have her 2016 campaign financed ...

this just make me sick !

Winch101
02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
This kind media garbage should be outlawed in this country .

A true load

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/02/25/bill-mckibben-keystone-xl-canada_n_6753256.html?utm_hp_ref=canada

coyote madness
02-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Not sure if any Edmontonions noticed , But if you were to drive by 17st and Baseline Rd , You will notice the largest rail loading facility in North America being built .... With the ability to load 300 rail cars per hr. I personally think that's the new pipeline ...

Coyote

Winch101
02-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Sick of national medias chirping like they know something

They don't !

Weedy1
02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Not sure if any Edmontonions noticed , But if you were to drive by 17st and Baseline Rd , You will notice the largest rail loading facility in North America being built .... With the ability to load 300 rail cars per hr. I personally think that's the new pipeline ...

Coyote

Shhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Weedy1
02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
I hope I'm around to see the day the States wants to build a water pipeline flowing from Canada to quench their thirst when the mid eastern states turns into one big tumbleweed. Maybe we'll take 10 years to make up our minds on that one.

wasteland.soldier
02-26-2015, 01:45 AM
I hope I'm around to see the day the States wants to build a water pipeline flowing from Canada to quench their thirst when the mid eastern states turns into one big tumbleweed. Maybe we'll take 10 years to make up our minds on that one.

If that happens, they will have already drained the Great Lakes, and that will be a sad day. My aunt's cottage near Tobermory already has a water level 50 some yards out from where it was 20 years ago.

marxman
02-26-2015, 06:11 AM

Weedy1
02-26-2015, 06:19 AM

Yep!

From article link below: "Some hold the view that the moment an ounce of our water is exported south, it will become subject to the provisions of the North American free-trade agreement. And that once that tap is turned on, there may be no stopping it – Canada’s water resources will suddenly become a U.S. national security concern."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/in-a-water-war-canada-could-get-hosed/article17139638/

See how I read your mind? I usually charge $25 for that so consider yourself lucky.

marxman
02-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Yep!

From article link below: "Some hold the view that the moment an ounce of our water is exported south, it will become subject to the provisions of the North American free-trade agreement. And that once that tap is turned on, there may be no stopping it – Canada’s water resources will suddenly become a U.S. national security concern."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/in-a-water-war-canada-could-get-hosed/article17139638/

See how I read your mind? I usually charge $25 for that so consider yourself lucky.

Ha ha caught me before i edited it out i thought there i go with another derail again

243 wild cat
02-26-2015, 09:20 AM
isis? :thinking-006::test:

Bw

lmao!!