PDA

View Full Version : Rural theft goes awry

kujoseto
02-24-2015, 04:50 PM
I know there has been a slew of thefts and unwanted visits in this area. If it has already been posted please delete this.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1847634/man-fatally-shot-during-home-invasion-near-carstairs/

TBark
02-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Sad the wrong person was hurt.
Just heard of a home invasion south of Fort Sask. owners didn't answer the door and hid, thieves broke in and stole valuables then left, nobody hurt.
Would have a big surprise to them if it were my house.

TBark

calgarygringo
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM
There was another one today out in Dewinton today too. No injuries supposedly on that one.

chasingtail
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM
These rural thefts would stop if we could just legally kill the intruders. If the Police don't pursue these people at least not as hard as they go after speeders and the Courts refuse to give these people serious time when caught then we should be able to shoot them. Otherwise the police need to spend 90% less time collecting revenue and I lot more time going after the real bad people. They courts need to hand out a 2 year minimum prison sentence for breaking into a residence. Right now these criminals rarely get jail time. Things have not gotten any better with a Conservative government.

Dozer31
02-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Illegal or not I will defend my family and home

schmedlap
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
These rural thefts would stop if we could just legally kill the intruders. If the Police don't pursue these people at least not as hard as they go after speeders and the Courts refuse to give these people serious time when caught then we should be able to shoot them. Otherwise the police need to spend 90% less time collecting revenue and I lot more time going after the real bad people. They courts need to hand out a 2 year minimum prison sentence for breaking into a residence. Right now these criminals rarely get jail time. Things have not gotten any better with a Conservative government.
At least with the Conservative government, if you did fight back and kill the intruders, you would not face charges of doing so with an unregistered long gun and have it confiscated. And they have brought in minimum sentences for offences committed with weapons (to which the Liberanos and ND's are opposed). And, actually, if the threat to your life is real, you can legally do so - the LEO's will probably charge you (as we have seen) but no jury (at least in Alberta) is going to convict you. Mind you, I suppose you would still have to ask the invaders to wait while you unlocked your separate gun and ammo safes and load, etc., but...?
It's a big country, and they are picking away at such restrictions as best they can in a political context.
Or you could just ask Shiny Pony to give you a hug to make up for your trauma?

skidderman
02-24-2015, 06:20 PM
This kind of thing is getting out of control. Where is it going to end?

chasingtail
02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
At least with the Conservative government, if you did fight back and kill the intruders, you would not face charges of doing so with an unregistered long gun and have it confiscated. And they have brought in minimum sentences for offences committed with weapons (to which the Liberanos and ND's are opposed). And, actually, if the threat to your life is real, you can legally do so - the LEO's will probably charge you (as we have seen) but no jury (at least in Alberta) is going to convict you. Mind you, I suppose you would still have to ask the invaders to wait while you unlocked your separate gun and ammo safes and load, etc., but...?
It's a big country, and they are picking away at such restrictions as best they can in a political context.

I despise JT. For so many years I waited, worked and donated for a real Conservative Government, right back to the Reform days but really it just doesn't seem to matter all that much who is in power. I doubt many Libtards would be against locking someone up for 2 years for a home invasion.

Hopper
02-24-2015, 06:45 PM
This wasn't just a home invasion.
It was a medicinal grow operation site. Which has been "accused" of growing more than allowed.
It was definitely a targeted site.
This was told to me by a neighbour of the site.

thumper
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM
When seconds count, help is only minutes away!

Despite fire departments, I have a fire extinguisher.
Despite ambulances, I have a 1st aid kit.
Despite police departments, .......

Geezle
02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
This wasn't just a home invasion.
It was a medicinal grow operation site. Which has been "accused" of growing more than allowed.
It was definitely a targeted site.
This was told to me by a neighbour of the site.
Interesting that tidbit was left out of the news story if that's the case.:thinking-006:

CBintheNorth
02-24-2015, 07:13 PM

Post of the year.

jag
02-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Post of the year.

x2

hayseed
02-24-2015, 07:44 PM

Now that is the best post ever!!!:fighting0030:

Zip
02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Awesome post thumper...love it!!

purgatory.sv
02-24-2015, 09:29 PM

No faith in interpretation, you will still need money or means to maintain.

Or the resolution of death.

Keep the faith.

Fire good.

Sooner
02-24-2015, 09:52 PM

Couldn't have said it better. Should be a bumper sticker.

amosfella
02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
I despise JT. For so many years I waited, worked and donated for a real Conservative Government, right back to the Reform days but really it just doesn't seem to matter all that much who is in power. I doubt many Libtards would be against locking someone up for 2 years for a home invasion.

There was a picture once that puts an interesting perspective on it. The devil is standing in a hell like environment with both wings outstretched, barbed tail in the air, and holding a pitchfork. His minion is standing in front of him, and the devil I asking, 'Which wing did they vote for, left or right?'

It doesn't seem that voting for different candidates makes a difference. That gives me the impression that the elected don't run the government. Sure there are differences on the cosmetic level. But nothing of real substance changes direction....

skidderman
02-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Why are we blaming theft on the government. It's about feeding drug habits and feeding gangs with an insatiable appetite for easy money. Many will not agree. Doesn't take me long to wonder why.

amosfella
02-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Why are we blaming theft on the government. It's about feeding drug habits and feeding gangs with an insatiable appetite for easy money. Many will not agree. Doesn't take me long to wonder why.

so, what's the solution?? I've said before that we should legalize all drugs...

skidderman
02-25-2015, 02:27 AM
so, what's the solution?? I've said before that we should legalize all drugs...

Such a great idea. Make sure our kids and grandkids can have their lives destroyed legally all the while their parents & grand parents watch in agony. Makes sense to me. Oh ya, just a great idea. And to be direct I don't know what the answer is. As far as I'm concerned every single drug pusher should be hanged. Slowly!!!!!

Lornce
02-25-2015, 06:29 AM
We certainly need strong "Castle" laws in this country.

58thecat
02-25-2015, 06:45 AM

They can start the paperwork, investigate the condition of the thieves, would not open my first aid kit,hard to put a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

drake
02-25-2015, 07:15 AM

Just what i want....walk up to a place ot ask for permission and get a gun pushed in my face because im a "stranger". Ive met some pretty spooky people over the years and hate to think about what they would be capable of if given the right to kill those who "unlawfully" stepped on their property.

Matt L.
02-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Such a great idea. Make sure our kids and grandkids can have their lives destroyed legally all the while their parents & grand parents watch in agony. Makes sense to me. Oh ya, just a great idea. And to be direct I don't know what the answer is. As far as I'm concerned every single drug pusher should be hanged. Slowly!!!!!

Already happening all too often with drugs being illegal. The cold truth is the war on drugs is a colossal failure. I don't have the answer either, but we won't find it by refusing to discuss and consider all options.

thumper
02-25-2015, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=skidderman; As far as I'm concerned every single drug pusher should be hanged. Slowly!!!!![/QUOTE]

When liberals ask me if I could 'throw the switch' on the electric chair on some scumbag, my response is "Switch? - Heck no, give me a rheostat !"

Geezle
02-25-2015, 10:03 AM
When liberals ask me if I could 'throw the switch' on the electric chair on some scumbag, my response is "Switch? - Heck no, give me a rheostat !"

I like it!

amosfella
02-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Already happening all too often with drugs being illegal. The cold truth is the war on drugs is a colossal failure. I don't have the answer either, but we won't find it by refusing to discuss and consider all options.

One should look at Portugal. Their stats (yes, I know the joke about stats) are that drug use declined, and hospitalizations severely declined after legalizing all drugs.

IMHO, drug use starts based many times on what I call 'forbidden fruit' syndrome. It starts out as the whole, 'I'm rebelling against the man... whoooo...', and for some it can stay at a recreational use level. Others become full blown junkies. But in general, it's about rebellion.

Take away the rebellion factor, and drug use will probably lose a lot of popularity. There will still be those who seem to need to be high all the time. As for what to do about them, I don't have an answer. Doesn't seem like anyone does. The current 'war on drugs' hasn't helped. At least, if legalized, the system will be saved the medical costs because of what those drugs might be cut with.

As for lives being legally destroyed, and parents and grandparents being in agony... Ever hear of this thing called alcohol???

thumper
02-25-2015, 12:32 PM
I don't follow your argument Amos. If legalizing drugs will lessen drug abuse, then why didn't the legalization of alcohol (following prohibition) lessen alcohol abuse?

Alcohol abuse is probably responsible for more broken families, domestic violence, native disfunction, ruined careers, debilitating disease and accidents than any other cause. Do we want to add additional drug use to that toll?

Gerv
02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
I don't follow your argument Amos. If legalizing drugs will lessen drug abuse, then why didn't the legalization of alcohol (following prohibition) lessen alcohol abuse?

Although the regulation of alcohol may not have reduced the overall number of addicts, it did provide an environment where one could purchase a product that had actually been produced within a set of standards as to content, from a company that pays taxes and can be held accountable for its products. You can now go to a liquor store and buy a product that has a set concentration of alcohol, free of harmful contaminants, rather than some concoction that your neighbor brewed up in old oil drums in his barn. When is the last time you heard of somebody going blind from alcohol they purchased at a store? When is the last time competing alcohol producers or retailers resorted to killing each-other to preserve market share?

Regulate the sale of the item and apply a tax. Use said tax to help pay for the burden placed on the medical system created by said product, which in most cases would have been purchased either way. Take all of the money saved by not paying to feed, shelter, and supervise people found guilty of drug offenses. Use these funds to help fight core causes of addiction. rather than punishing users and dealers with free room and board compliments of the Canadian people. It costs $117,000.00 to house a prisoner for one year in Canada's federal prison system ( http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/18/federal-inmate-cost-soars-to-177gs-each-per-year ). With plenty more spent on the process of arresting these individuals, giving them their day in court, duty counsel etc etc. The current system has failed, its time to start looking for new solutions.

amosfella
02-25-2015, 01:31 PM

Alcohol abuse is probably responsible for more broken families, domestic violence, native disfunction, ruined careers, debilitating disease and accidents than any other cause. Do we want to add additional drug use to that toll?

I understand what you're saying... However, what we've been doing is a complete and utter failure. What is the definition of insanity again?? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result...

Prohibitions have been used throughout history, and none have been successful. Some of them had death penalties for even having a bit of the prohibited item. People still kept getting those prohibited items, and doing it anyways.

So, the question becomes, do we keep on with this war on drugs, and keep paying the high price for it, or do we spend that money on treatment options for those who would like to quit?? Right now, the good drug treatment programs are about $40k a year for the bottom end. Most of the ones sponsored by the government are completely ineffective...

On alcohol, there is some evidence that lifting prohibition did lessen alcohol related poisoning incidents from drinking too much. However as stats on that weren't really kept at the time, I'll call it anecdotal at best...

As a side note, I'm getting the impression that you or someone close to you is going through a mess with a family member on drugs....

Zuludog
02-25-2015, 03:46 PM

Awesome!! That's a brilliant response.

Just what i want....walk up to a place ot ask for permission and get a gun pushed in my face because im a "stranger". Ive met some pretty spooky people over the years and hate to think about what they would be capable of if given the right to kill those who "unlawfully" stepped on their property.

^^^ I fear this too. Much in the same way I don't think concealed carry is a good idea for MOST people. If you have ever spent anytime behind the wheel of a vehicle you soon realize that most people have hugely varied degrees of skill and good judgement. If most people can't handle the responsibility of driving safely how can we trust them to exercise good judgment in a life or death (or not) situation with a side arm? Sorry for the derail.

thumper
02-25-2015, 04:13 PM
False impression - thankfully.

Although I've known a few stoners over the years, I really don't know a soul who abuses 'hard' drugs.
However, I've watched in gut-wrenching horror as a pile of peoples lives swirled down the toilet because of their addictions to booze. Heartbreaking.

All I'm saying is that maybe the fear of being caught and punished is enough to keep many away from getting involved with drugs in the first place. I know that's a big part of what kept my high school crowd away from LSD, speed and 'shrooms.

And even though it might make economic sense to drop 'the war on drugs', something in me revolts at the thought of my tax dollars being used to pay for or subsidize methadone clinics or shoot-up sites for addicts. Kind of 'aiding and abetting' in my books, while condoning poor choices, bad decisions and a destructive life-style.

It galls me to think that someone who works hard their entire life, pays their own way, routinely denies themselves extravagance, luxury or gluttony to achieve long-term self sufficiency and ensures that they contribute to the betterment of their community, - ends up paying benefits for those who don't exercise self discipline or fortitude.

But maybe that's just this grumpy, middle aged, middle income, gun-toting conservative white male neanderthal talking ! Every ill of the world is my fault :)

Talking moose
02-25-2015, 04:22 PM
False impression - thankfully.

Although I've known a few stoners over the years, I really don't know a soul who abuses 'hard' drugs.
However, I've watched in gut-wrenching horror as a pile of peoples lives swirled down the toilet because of their addictions to booze. Heartbreaking.

All I'm saying is that maybe the fear of being caught and punished is enough to keep many away from getting involved with drugs in the first place. I know that's a big part of what kept my high school crowd away from LSD, speed and 'shrooms.

And even though it might make economic sense to drop 'the war on drugs', something in me revolts at the thought of my tax dollars being used to pay for or subsidize methadone clinics or shoot-up sites for addicts. Kind of 'aiding and abetting' in my books, while condoning poor choices, bad decisions and a destructive life-style.

It galls me to think that someone who works hard their entire life, pays their own way, routinely denies themselves extravagance, luxury or gluttony to achieve long-term self sufficiency and ensures that they contribute to the betterment of their community, - ends up paying benefits for those who don't exercise self discipline or fortitude.

But maybe that's just this grumpy, middle aged, middle income, gun-toting conservative white male neanderthal talking ! Every ill of the world is my fault :)

If only people's brains were all wired the same.....

Pudelpointer
02-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Wow... epic derail.

Man dies in home invasion.... Federal politics.... Drug Policy....

thumper
02-25-2015, 07:10 PM
You're most correct P.P.
My apologies - just got caught up in the conversation.

Pudelpointer
02-25-2015, 07:30 PM
You're most correct P.P.
My apologies - just got caught up in the conversation.

Not at all! Just amazed at the progression. :)

Zuludog
02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
It's weird how conversations in the real world derail, shift, evolve or are more dynamic and its "okay" but on the net when they "derail" it's considered a bad thing?

Got Juice?
02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
They can start the paperwork, investigate the condition of the thieves, would not open my first aid kit,hard to put a bandaid on a sucking chest wound.

You mean a tourniquet around the neck doesn't count?:sHa_shakeshout: