PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an 'Emergency Protocol' for your home and family?

Selkirk
02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I do, and this family also does ... and it worked! http://globalnews.ca/news/1846487/watch-11-year-old-girl-fends-off-home-invaders-with-shotgun/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

Mac

bat119
02-24-2015, 05:43 PM
That happened it the US

Here in Canada the parents would have been arrested, all their firearms seized the girl would have been sent to rehabilitation, The thieves would sue for emotional damage.

schmedlap
02-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Just too bad she didn't actually pull the trigger and improve the gene pool(?). Hopefully the story will get out in the "big house" and the offenders will get tagged with having been chased off and defeated by an 11 year old girl. Unfortunately, if it happened here, the parents would probably be charged with child neglect and some firearms offences, they would be incarcerated, and she would go to foster care(?).

oldgutpile
02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
That happened it the US

Here in Canada the parents would have been arrested, all their firearms seized the girl would have been sent to rehabilitation, The thieves would sue for emotional damage.

Maybe so, but just like in the U.S, they would all still be alive. Serious things to think on.

airbornedeerhunter
02-24-2015, 06:08 PM
A second plan is also needed in Canada, a plan to get all your guns out of the house and off your property before the RC's show up and seize them after you call 911.

Sad but true, a senior in NB was just charged recently with a slew of firearms related offences for defending himself with a firearm during a home invasion.

waterninja
02-24-2015, 06:13 PM
I say good for her. I'm surprised that an 11 yr. old girl can be a lisenced hunter, even in the States.

Geezle
02-24-2015, 06:16 PM
I say good for her. I'm surprised that an 11 yr. old girl can be a lisenced hunter, even in the States.

How so? Lots of folks on the forum have their kids into hunting.

airbornedeerhunter
02-24-2015, 06:19 PM

Why? You can at 12 here!

twofifty
02-24-2015, 06:31 PM
call 911 and wait 45 minutes.

CaberTosser
02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
We're covered for fire emergencies here, and the Mrs knows how to use access some tools that go "BANG!"should I not be around. Junior's a bit young for this yet.

When I was a kid my Dad had my sister and I go through mock fire drills at the house, noting that if we couldn't get to the main floor due to smoke or fire at the stairs we would exit to the deck over the garage accessible from one bedroom (my sisters). Its a good thing to run through at home, you're hopefully there more than you are at work, and many do them on the job. There are emergency ladders available for those who might need to exit through a second floor window: http://www.kiddecanada.com/utcfs/Templates/Pages/Template-53/0,8062,pageId%3D2766%26siteId%3D463,00.html

Have current, certified ABC fire extinguishers located near exits, under the kitchen sink and in the furnace room. Know how to use them. Its probably safe to say that a first aid kit & training will come in more useful than a firearm, but I think its good to have both. Prepare in order of priority though, take your first aid and CPR & buy first aid kits and fire extinguishers before that Matrix inspired home armory!

dumoulin
02-24-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't think we'll have any problems.

Twisted Canuck
02-24-2015, 09:34 PM
We're a friendly family, our emergency protocol is welcoming home invaders.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/twistedcanuck/Welcome_zpsgbk2xqi1.jpg

waterninja
02-25-2015, 09:19 AM
Actually just watched a hunting show on Wildtv where a young fellow has been hunting whitetail since he was 5 yrs. old, so I wonder if there even is a minumum age in the States.

airbornedeerhunter
02-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Actually just watched a hunting show on Wildtv where a young fellow has been hunting whitetail since he was 5 yrs. old, so I wonder if there even is a minumum age in the States.

One of my 5 year old twins! As long as they are under your direct supervision it doesn't matter!

I shot my first moose when i was 9.

score
02-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Brave little girl and kudos to the family to have the plan in place. She was clearly a cool headed kid and the punks should consider themselves very lucky.

Selkirk
02-26-2015, 08:10 PM
. . . Prepare in order of priority though, take your first aid and CPR & buy first aid kits and fire extinguishers before that Matrix inspired home armory!

CaberChucker:D makes a very good point ^ (see post #10 for details) :happy0034:

Most (if not all) of us are far more likely to be struck by lightning, than suffer a home invasion. Best we all prepare our homes and families for the much more likely emergencies first, and then govern ourselves accordingly.

Cheers,

Mac

Lornce
02-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Along with medical emergency knowledge my family knows also how to use lightning rods

recce43
02-27-2015, 07:50 AM
When i was in my 20s living off base in bowness . My 2 yr old daughter was in bed. I heard load banging at front door. My dog blue healer going nuts all sudden my doir was kicked in .i let the dog go after the intruder. Got my shot gun called 911 police took 10 mins to get there. They caught the guy done the street . He was armed he kickicked in the wrong address was looking for different place . Drugs . Moral of story police took 10 mins lucky my dog hates intruders. And i could arm myself .

Mb-MBR
02-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Shot my first deer with a 22 at seven years old..........and yes big surprise for anyone coming through the door without an invite. Armed or unarmed.....bedrooms on second floor.....and have plan should fire start on main floor or basement...

The Cook
02-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Maybe so, but just like in the U.S, they would all still be alive. Serious things to think on.

I agree. It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6