PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted Animal Parts

StuckInTheCity
02-25-2015, 04:07 PM
I noticed recently that there are some trappers and hunters who have either whole animals or the body sans hide that they have no use for and seem to be throwing away or leaving. Generally these are pest animals that most people wouldn't eat including coyotes, foxes, wolves, beavers and even bears.

Until later this fall I'm stuck in Edmonton with no way of going out into the country or hunting. Needless to say I don't care for the city but what can you do. I have tanned animals before and I'm what some would call a far more adventurous eater than others. So if anyone has any animal carcasses or hides that they are otherwise planning on leaving or throwing away and you live around or in Edmonton I would not at all mind taking them off your hands.

I am not trying to create an argument or fight on here so if you disagree with people eating wild canine species or rodents your objection is noted but I'm not interested in a debate.

Talking moose
02-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Surprise us with one animal that is fine table fare that would shock the avg person.

StuckInTheCity
02-25-2015, 04:16 PM
I would say most people I meet living in the downtown area would be shocked about any of the animals I mentioned. Maybe the people I know are just a very bleeding heart liberal crowd that would not be common on a site like this.

Lefty-Canuck
02-25-2015, 04:57 PM
I have a freshly skinned out coyote that's hanging in my garage, but it isn't gutted so I would feel wrong giving it to someone to eat....and no I am not gutting it either....:)

LC

Redfrog
02-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Have you got a smoker? Coyote jerky is to die for. :)

Where I come from, local watering holes had muskrat dinners in the spring trapping season. They were very popular. Oddly a lot of those folks voted Liberal or NDP.:thinking-006:

Redfrog
02-25-2015, 05:00 PM
I have a freshly skinned out coyote that's hanging in my garage, but it isn't gutted so I would feel wrong giving it to someone to eat....and no I am not gutting it either....:)

LC

I always use gutless method, and surgical gloves.

StuckInTheCity
02-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Actually I use to hunt when I lived in the country so I know how to gut and dress an animal. If someone has an unwanted carcass I am not be any mean expecting them to gut it.

sns2
02-25-2015, 05:48 PM

LC

I'd give the dude the coyote for sure. Serious.

Talking moose
02-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Probably a restraunt owner....:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Smokinyotes
02-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Mmm. Nothing better than week old ungutted coyote. I think I would eat a spruce tree before I ate coyote. I have skinned enough green bellies in my day and the thought of eating a coyote has my guts feeling a little queasy.

Tfng
02-25-2015, 08:20 PM
I've toyed with the idea of cooking a beaver and will probably try it one day.

Au revoir, Gopher
02-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Depends on the coyote... the ones that were running around the ranch I grew up on... I could see eating one of those; the ones in Nose Hill Park... I don't think you could pay me enough to skin one of them!

ARG

cody c
02-26-2015, 07:28 AM
I remember a post somewhat similar to this a few months back from a newb poster, here he got slammed pretty hard for signing on just to look for handouts.

Anyways, if it`s just to eat, I hope some folks in your area wouldnt mind digging out the freezer burnt moose and deer from the bottoms of their freezers before giving you a coyote carcass to eat. I am not against eating it morally, but personally I think that`s gross.

waterninja
02-26-2015, 08:38 AM
"Food" for thought. I have read recently that up to 60% of coyotes in the Edm. area and 40% in rural areas have been infected with a very nasty tapeworm. They are warning that your dogs can become infected from the coyote scat, and that you should wash any low lying berries that you might pick as they might have some of the microscopic larvae that will later grow into these tapeworms. Makes me nervous even skinning a coyote, never mind eating one.