PDA

View Full Version : What is the most risky thing you have ever done?

MaverickMetal
02-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Mine would be working on a stucco crew we run a plank through the nose of a scissor lift to fit between two decks then with me one one end and another guy on the other we went up 8 stories and started working.
8 stories on a plank with no lanyard and nothing to hold onto.

Young Dumb

Weedy1
02-26-2015, 06:53 AM
Let me guess, you're presently unemployed?

recce43
02-26-2015, 06:54 AM
got married

densa44
02-26-2015, 06:55 AM
My son and I lost all our stuff and the canoe near Wrigley creek. We had 2 knives, and a bic lighter, and our lives.

5 days of trying to stay alive eating ants, huddled around a very small fire in the rain, lost 25 lbs.

I guess for me that was the most risky, next to driving on the Deerfoot.

Lefty-Canuck
02-26-2015, 06:56 AM
Hopping moving ice flows on the ocean outside of Cambridge Bay to jig for Arctic char through holes and cracks in the ice....wearing rubber boots and carrying a fishing rod and tackle box.

.....or there was that one time in Amsterdam....:)

LC :)

flint guy
02-26-2015, 07:27 AM
100ft depth scuba dive solo under the ice with no tether back to the hole and no pony bottle for back up. The next would be a lead rock climbing dual ptch with no ropes.

avb3
02-26-2015, 07:32 AM
Sailing my new to me sailboat last year in the Atlantic of the coast of Florida when a storm that was not forecast hit. Waves over the bow and the cabin of the boat, and a nighttime harbor approach to West Palm Beach was NOT fun. The area was under a tornado watch, and 50 mph winds hit after I was anchored. I have no idea what the winds were at sea.

bubba 96
02-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Working at a ski hill on top of a chair lift tower, dangling by harness and lanyard, changing a shive assembly 50+ ft off ground with a 4ft torque wrench tightening the nuts that hold it all together suspended in air..

Getting married is a close second...

58thecat
02-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Balance a woman's thoughts while sober,:sHa_sarcasticlol:

lmtada
02-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Making a deal with Italian Mafia, in Sudan. Didn't know what to expect. I lived. Thank God!!:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dacotensis
02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Hopping moving ice flows on the ocean outside of Cambridge Bay to jig for Arctic char through holes and cracks in the ice....wearing rubber boots and carrying a fishing rod and tackle box.

.....or there was that one time in Amsterdam....:)

LC :)

Totally normal.
Any of us would do that to catch a fish:scared0018:

FishingMOM
02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
got married

Don't let your lovely wife see this!

thumper
02-26-2015, 09:01 AM
I'll fix that for you:

Biggest risk - Getting married

Biggest reward - Getting married .............. dear.

fish_e_o
02-26-2015, 09:01 AM
100ft depth scuba dive solo under the ice with no tether back to the hole and no pony bottle for back up.
i've done a lot of diving and that gives me shivers. i'm pretty good at underwater tracking but i'd never attempt it

SamSteele
02-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Worked in an oil facility on the Kuwait/Iraq border during the 2nd Gulf War in 2006. Blackhawks overhead and destroyed hum-vees coming back to Kuwait City were a common occurrence. I was told not to walk off the road due to landmines and the buildings I worked in still had bullet holes in them.

I didn't tell my expectant wife any details of the trip until I got home safe.

SS

Sooner
02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Both Sled related in the mountains. We all took turns jumping off a cornice into powder. Not really high or anything but you could not see below until you committed to the jump with the sled. Knowing what I know now about avalanches, cornices and terrain traps(where we were all sitting), it was not too smart.

Other time was another cornice. I was stopping to video and take pics, so the group we were there with(about 7 of us) was ahead and I was following their trail to catch up in a big rolling valley with soft hills and peaks. Well the trail went to the top of a hill. I also stopped and took a pic or two from the view point where everyone else stopped prior. When I finally caught up to the group they were over and around a corner looking back to where we were. It was at that point we all realized we had been parked on a super cornice and it over hung from the rock edge buy a lot. We were not at the edge and quite a ways back but holy crap did we all have a OMG moment. From the view point you had no clue you were out past the rocks. And it was a long way down. Death for sure if it gave way. Thankfully it was that large and real strong.

There is a you tube video out in the last couple years of a sledder cresting a hill and stopping just as the cornice falls out from under him. He came within an inch of going down with it. All caught on the helmet cam. When I watch that video i remember the cornice that could have been.

Talking moose
02-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! Nothing to add on the danger thread, pretty boring life, can't wait until your next question thread.

rugatika
02-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Drive in Edmonton.

Jumped out of a plane (while it was flying)..(not one of those tandem jumps).

Leaning out of a chopper to make sure tail rotor cleared the trees while landing...that pilot was too young and too crazy.

Told gf her nose was cute...the way it was kind of crooked.

Bought a yz450 as a starter bike....learned the term "whisky throttle", over and over again.

Tried stopping a charging bull with the crocodile dundee trick....it worked!!!!!

stuckincity
02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
I told my wife I'm not gonna wash any more dishes, and I'm gonna drink all the beer I want, whenever I want.

Positrac
02-26-2015, 11:02 AM
I dated a red head once. I may have got lucky though as she may have not been a natural red head. No rug to match up with the curtains.:)

ArryDawg
02-26-2015, 11:24 AM
I ran over a mile of lava tubes to snap some photos of the explosions created from lava flowing into the ocean.

Bigwoodsman
02-26-2015, 11:30 AM
Posting an opinion on AO.

:thinking-006::scared0018:

BW

ArryDawg
02-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Posting an opinion on AO.

:thinking-006::scared0018:

BW

Hiiiiiiiooooooo Winner winner chicken dinner

Fisherpeak
02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Hiiiiiiiooooooo Winner winner chicken dinner

Yup,got my vote.

twofifty
02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Driving like a teenager - a dumbazz one.

MaverickMetal
02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Let me guess, you're presently unemployed?

This was back a long time ago. I'm currently the owner of a steel fab shop.

Fisherpeak
02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Falling through the ice while fishing alone at 8 A.M.in heavy winter gear,I got lucky there was a stick frozen in the ice I could reach to pull myself out.
Walking within 8 feet of a wounded Grizz my client had shot.It fish hooked and was laying for us,good thing we waited half an hour before following the blood trail.It died waiting for us.We got drunk that night.

Nait Hadya
02-26-2015, 01:56 PM
It's a toss up between a quarter mile of icy climbing a very steep slope, without gear and repeatedly charging a black bear without a weapon in the dark of night.

For two nights the bear and I played a pretty serious game of hide and seek. I'm sure he was testing my resolve and a belly full of pastry gave him the courage to come back into camp looking for more. When he did, I would blindly run at him, no flashlight and he would retreat and then approach from a different angle. I think we must have come to some kind of a truce or understanding after doing this for two nights. I watched him walk into camp during daylight ,I stepped out of my tent and walked over to him as he sniffed out my baked potatoes in the ashes.

The short cut to a late season sheep range was up a steep slope that I had climbed before. When I arrived at the base I discovered that it had rained and the snow was now heavily crusted with ice. I pressed on, kicking a ledge into the ice with my boot on every step. More than half way up I remember a folding saw in my pack and used it to cut steps into the snow. A very steep section of iced rock at the top was scaled on all fours. As you drive the trunk road, past the last bridge over elk creek, looking SW you can see the saddle and the slope below.

Last time I did a tally of dangerous adventures that could have resulted in severe bodily harm or death, it was over thirty.

lmtada
02-26-2015, 01:57 PM
Might as well go big, with the Whiskey Throttle Yz450 "Starter Bike". LOL:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout :

Drive in Edmonton.

Jumped out of a plane (while it was flying)..(not one of those tandem jumps).

Leaning out of a chopper to make sure tail rotor cleared the trees while landing...that pilot was too young and too crazy.

Told gf her nose was cute...the way it was kind of crooked.

Bought a yz450 as a starter bike....learned the term "whisky throttle", over and over again.

Tried stopping a charging bull with the crocodile dundee trick....it worked!!!!!

stuckincity
02-26-2015, 02:08 PM
I watched Ellen Degenerate and Ophat Winfrey once.......

kevinhits
02-26-2015, 02:11 PM
This was back a long time ago. I'm currently the owner of a steel fab shop.

And what is it in your pic you are trying to sell...Missed your first posts that were deleted?

Redfrog
02-26-2015, 02:11 PM
When 'Yes Dear" and I first got married, I thought I found Mrs. Right. Imagine my chagrin when I realized she was Mrs. Always Right.

The constant sulkiness and sullen attitude was beginning to get old and I realized I had to nip this in the bud. I told her we had to have a 'talk'. I explained calmly that I wasn't happy with her attitude and that she had better improve it or things were going to get ugly.

She sound like an old Evinrude, 'but, but, but,but" I told her to be quiet and listen for once.

I explained what her role was as a dutiful wife, and that it was in my genetic makeup to hunt and fish whenever I wanted. I may have added having a beer in there as well.:) I told her it would be unnatural to deny these urges. I even suggested she ask her mom if she thought my urges were unnatural.:thinking-006: I went on to suggest that it wouldn't hurt her too bad to get off the couch and bake a batch of cookies once in a while.
I didn't realize she could scream and yell that loud. I warned her that if she didn't smarten up and stop yelling, I wasn't gong to listen to it.

Obviously she had no intention of listening to reason, so I hung up the phone.:)

Now that was scary.:sHa_shakeshout:

Twisted Canuck
02-26-2015, 02:16 PM
I started a thread about how I supported the gun registry and was planning on voting Liberal.....

Wait. No, that actually wasn't me. :scared0015:

Wild&Free
02-26-2015, 03:01 PM
climbed out of an airplane and hung off the wing strut for a good 30 seconds before letting go from 4000'.

Ozzzzz
02-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Joined this forum...

MaverickMetal
02-26-2015, 03:24 PM
And what is it in your pic you are trying to sell...Missed your first posts that were deleted?

Nothing for sale here....

flyguyd
02-26-2015, 04:59 PM
Just passed the shale cliff part of the road to Blue Lake, late in the sheep season, when you used to be able to drive the roads. In the days before all the gates appeared in 400. We were headed up to the lake, never made it . Road was all drifted in for about 100yds 2-3 ft deep, too much for my little Ram 50. Road is pretty much on the edge of the canyon all the way , Pretty risky to back out that far with a really light back end. Brother has a bright idea. About 60 yrds back, the mountain slopes away from the road a little, drivers side is mostly airspace all the way down to the creek:scared:. Little Bro figures that if i put it reverse,angle toward the sloping spot while accelerating, just before we hit; crank the wheels and hit the brakes and we will flip right around. Im thinking were gonna die, but the options are few and far between at this moment, so what the hell.
Wouldnt you know it worked perfectly , sure wish i would have packed a change of underwear:thinking-006:

Dale S
02-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Back in the 70's, while working derrick on a double. I was taught to run the collars in the hole with out the safety belt on. We had tall collars with the pick up subs on them. You would tie them off too fall a foot or so past the monkey board. When the blocks went by you would let the collar go, grab the horns of the elevators ,ride them up and jump on your ropes that tie up your collar. When the elevators got to the right spot ,you latch the elevators. Then jump back on to the monkey board. I was told if you had your belt on it would get caught on something while you were going up and pull you off.

Taco
02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Just passed the shale cliff part of the road to Blue Lake, late in the sheep season, when you used to be able to drive the roads. In the days before all the gates appeared in 400. We were headed up to the lake, never made it . Road was all drifted in for about 100yds 2-3 ft deep, too much for my little Ram 50. Road is pretty much on the edge of the canyon all the way , Pretty risky to back out that far with a really light back end. Brother has a bright idea. About 60 yrds back, the mountain slopes away from the road a little, drivers side is mostly airspace all the way down to the creek:scared:. Little Bro figures that if i put it reverse,angle toward the sloping spot while accelerating, just before we hit; crank the wheels and hit the brakes and we will flip right around. Im thinking were gonna die, but the options are few and far between at this moment, so what the hell.
Wouldnt you know it worked perfectly , sure wish i would have packed a change of underwear:thinking-006:

Ever go over top the ridge behind Blue and come out on Mill Ck? Steep bugger, dogs were standing on the closed tailgate on the way up, ridgeline is a knife edge and the downhill side is just as steep and loose shale for 200 yds. Scared the bejesus outta a band of ewes and lambs when I popped over the ridge

Taco
02-26-2015, 07:21 PM
When 'Yes Dear" and I first got married, I thought I found Mrs. Right. Imagine my chagrin when I realized she was Mrs. Always Right.

The constant sulkiness and sullen attitude was beginning to get old and I realized I had to nip this in the bud. I told her we had to have a 'talk'. I explained calmly that I wasn't happy with her attitude and that she had better improve it or things were going to get ugly.

She sound like an old Evinrude, 'but, but, but,but" I told her to be quiet and listen for once.

I explained what her role was as a dutiful wife, and that it was in my genetic makeup to hunt and fish whenever I wanted. I may have added having a beer in there as well.:) I told her it would be unnatural to deny these urges. I even suggested she ask her mom if she thought my urges were unnatural.:thinking-006: I went on to suggest that it wouldn't hurt her too bad to get off the couch and bake a batch of cookies once in a while.
I didn't realize she could scream and yell that loud. I warned her that if she didn't smarten up and stop yelling, I wasn't gong to listen to it.

Obviously she had no intention of listening to reason, so I hung up the phone.:)

Now that was scary.:sHa_shakeshout:

Y'all went about it wrong. When the Bitterhalf and I got married I told her that I had 3 bad habits and I was only goin' to give up 2 and she was to pick which 2. When she asked what bad habits I told her fishin, drinkin' and chasin' women. Nowadays when she starts to complain when she see me headed for the truck with an armful of fishin' gear I just have to remind her that it was her decision.

Geezle
02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
I plea the fifth! :scared0018:

RandyBoBandy
02-26-2015, 07:40 PM
posted a catch and release pic on AOF :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Talking moose
02-26-2015, 07:42 PM
Y'all went about it wrong. When the Bitterhalf and I got married I told her that I had 3 bad habits and I was only goin' to give up 2 and she was to pick which 2. When she asked what bad habits I told her fishin, drinkin' and chasin' women. Nowadays when she starts to complain when she see me headed for the truck with an armful of fishin' gear I just have to remind her that it was her decision.

Lol that's awsome!! If I ever lose my way again and get married again, I'm using it..... Maybe I'll only let her pick one...:)

play.soccer
02-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Drove through Compton/Spent the weekend in Oakland.

Climbing in Banff with no gear, on the way down made a little rock slide...

flyguyd
02-26-2015, 07:44 PM
Ever go over top the ridge behind Blue and come out on Mill Ck? Steep bugger, dogs were standing on the closed tailgate on the way up, ridgeline is a knife edge and the downhill side is just as steep and loose shale for 200 yds. Scared the bejesus outta a band of ewes and lambs when I popped over the ridge

Not in a pickup . On foot was bad enough:sHa_shakeshout: But your description is bang on my friend:thinking-006: Lol

Norman
02-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Commented on a bull trout thread on AO

Taco
02-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Not in a pickup . On foot was bad enough:sHa_shakeshout: But your description is bang on my friend:thinking-006: Lol

No shirt, my reasoning at the time was if a bulldozer could do it with the blade down then sure as hell a '78 chevy could.

fishstix
02-26-2015, 09:20 PM
While a train rolled on by I crawled up and put a dime on the track. The dime started to slide off the track so I quickly slapped it down flat. I felt the wheel brush my hand as I pulled it back....young and dumb.

schmedlap
02-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Lots of skiing off what were essentially cliffs, and down chutes to get to same, well beyond my ability or gear - my skiing buddies were maniacs. And some "shortcuts" across shale slopes above way back country canyon creeks to get to the fishing or to get home - a couple of those almost ended with a long death plunge off the lip of the cliff.
But, probably the most foolish was a couple of white water rafting spills from a small Zodiac with a glued on river raft material bottom on a couple of Alberta foothill rivers. On one occasion I was saved by a grab of my PFD by a friend (standing on the log jam) just before I disappeared under a huge log jam blocking the river, after the boat had totally swamped and was going under. On another we (unknowingly got sucked in - the reports were not very accurate back then) ran a boulder canyon after dark - we bit off far too much river for the "float and fish" that day, and should have just pulled over, built a fire, and waited for morning, but we were very hungry and had to get back to the downriver camp (?). WAY back in the bush, midnight or so, very dark night, literally stuck on a flat rock in the middle of rapids where I could touch standing waves on either side and all you could hear was the roar of the water. We got off the rock and made it through, and I remember when, a couple of turns later, my friend in the front of the boat saw the campsite, and we were floating towards it in 4 feet of water, he jumped out, grabbed the bow rope, and waded us to shore, and literally kissed the dirt when he got there - he had just been under the assumption we were going to die, and he was probably correct in his assessment. Oddly, he declined all invitations to join later river float trips, even on very mild rivers (?).

saskwildlife
02-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Hung from a bridge bare handed 310' above the river for 30 secs or so, drunk and stoned in the middle of the night after a wedding dance.

schreyer
02-26-2015, 09:41 PM
I was splitting lanes on the gsxr and passed a cop while doing it.

Redfrog
02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Hitch hiked through Alberta in 1970 sporting a beard and long hair. Got stuck at Strathmore, ended up in Gleichen:shark:
Don't ask!!:snapoutofit:

purgatory.sv
02-26-2015, 10:09 PM
I woke up and realised I didn’t have the answer.

Fire good.

Adwittoutdoors
02-26-2015, 10:11 PM
X2 on the commented on the "bull trout thread"!!! :budo:

omega50
02-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Hitch hiked through Alberta in 1970 sporting a beard and long hair. Got stuck at Strathmore, ended up in Gleichen:shark:
Don't ask!!:snapoutofit:

I knew it.
I knew some of my students out at Siksika looked familiar.
The complete disregard for authority should have tipped me off sooner.

260 Rem
02-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Can't remember specifics, but all were alchohol related.

freddy27
02-26-2015, 10:36 PM
I spent a night in jail in EQ Africa because I drove on the road when the president was driving home. Multiple rusted out AK47s pointing at me asking why I was on the road and if I wanted to harm the president. Didn't think I was coming back home. After I got released I still had to finish my hitch working.

Hydro1
02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Nothing i dare post on AO! :shark:

Stinky Buffalo
02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Was skiing, the rest of my group had split away from me. Noticed a crack developing in the snow between the tips of my skis. Ended up breaking a huge snow shelf off and going down with it. Thankfully I stayed topside.

Skied out onto a cornice with my buddies, only after we had safely left that spot did we realize we had gone way too far.

Riding with a crazy guy on a motorcycle pushing 180KPH on a rough country road.

Downhilling my mountain bike on a forestry road, and having range cattle pop out in front of me and behind me, eventually surrounding me at full tilt. All I could think was, "Whatever you do, Stinky.... Don't crash now!" :eek:

Convincing IncrediGirl to marry me. (Yeah, I know, not very original...) Thankfully, that risk paid off well. :D

sprbloggins
02-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Rolling the dice and going on a second tour of A'Stan....missing getting targeted by a VBIED by minutes....

Redfrog
02-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I knew it.
I knew some of my students out at Siksika looked familiar.
The complete disregard for authority should have tipped me off sooner.

Just doing my part.:sHa_shakeshout:

Rumtan
02-27-2015, 10:52 AM
I got on a bronc when I was younger..........stayed on for the whole .25c

The Cook
02-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Hitchhiked from florida through mississippi, lousiana texas in 1970 oh yeah
I had really long hair and beard.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
02-27-2015, 03:05 PM
i'm not going to incriminate meself I take the 5th:thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

Nova
02-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Car pooled to work with somebody who was not only an unskilled driver, but an absurd mix of easily startled, had bad judgement and yet would turn into an extremely aggressive driver if we were "running late" for work......and to him if we weren't there a half hour early we were late. My second week car pooling with him he fell asleep and ramped an approach. I should have taken that as a sign, but continued car pooling with him for about a year. Luckily I survived it with mostly just funny/absurd stories to tell.

Hunter Trav
02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Springtime on the NSR, breaking off big chunks of ice and riding the icebergs down the river with buddies. Some were short solo rides, but one we managed to break off was big enough for all three of us. We rode it for close to a mile. As we were riding it it was slowly going further out towards the middle but we had taken down a couple of pipeline signs for paddles. We managed to get it back closer to the shore and finally came to a corner where we were able to jump off back onto the ice along shore. As the last guy jumped off the iceberg sank and went under the rest of the ice. We decided to call it quits after that but it was a pretty cool ride while it lasted...lol

tri777
03-01-2015, 01:07 PM
The most risky thing I do is daily: drive home long after sunset an deal with every 5th dam car/truck oncoming at me with their dam HD's...really takes a toll on the eyes by time I hit my driveway.:argue2:

great white whaler
03-01-2015, 02:01 PM
gille netting herring with my dad trinty bay nfld pulling a string of nets the 24 ft boat was half filled with fish and it was started to snow we dam near had our boat loaded with herring when a long came 3 whales and they decided to feed on our herring nets ,,let me tell ya it was a very on easy feel watching 30 ft whales rip holes trou your nets ,,we could see the whales swimm under the boat,,,it was a good thing the smiths came by , because we had a full load ,and they filled there boat to ,,

Hunter65
03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Walked out onto a sliver of ice on the partially frozen Yukon River to rescue a small dog that had fallen in, and was desperately swimming upstream to climb back onto the ice. I walked out to the edge and yanked him up. I count my lucky stars every now and then. Got a $9 reward from the owner.

Ozzzzz
03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
posted a catch and release pic on AOF :sHa_sarcasticlol:

X2!!!

Red Bullets
03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
More than one risk take when I think back. I was married twice. Yikes! And the second wife was a red headed Aries to boot.:scared::scared0015:

:thinking-006:
The riskiest was going to a gold claim north of Revelstoke deep in grizzly country 35 years ago. (before cell phones) The nearest human habitation was about 18 miles away. My partner had to leave for 3 days. I decided to stay on the raw claim, no equipment, just a tent and some grub... Didn't get scary until I realized the only gun for safety was in my partners truck. My friend didn't even realize the gun was behind the seat until he came back. I ended up making a sleeping platform up a big tree to be a little safer an night.
On the same trip I ended up in the glacier fed river up to my crotch. If I had lost my footing I would have been toast. In a canyon and a set of tall falls was 300 yards downstream. After that I would tie myself off to a tree while I was crevassing for glitter. And that was scary because if a bear came I was like a toy on a rope. Fun trip otherwise.