PDA

View Full Version : Big Lake

gloszz
02-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Anyone on here been to Big Lake? I live right on the shore of it by Yellowhead and it is the worst lake ever. For how big it is, it is honestly a puddle; that is how shallow it is.

I am writing this post to maybe ask someone if they know of any way that Parkland County or whoever is in charge of the lake would possibly dredge it? Before it was a bird sanctuary, my neighbor pulled out 20+Lb pike out. Now you hit bottom when you drill a hole.

Kim473
02-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Why would they dredge it when after it dries up they could sell lots. $$$$ I'm surprized they havn't filled it in yet.

gloszz
02-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Because it brings in lots of birds to poop on my driveway. I see many interesting birds and can't even quad or skidoo beside the lake or else I will get a fine for disturbing the peace of nesting birds. Not sure why the birds chose that lake but yea. Wish it would be fishable.

RisingRainbows
02-27-2015, 06:04 AM
Anyone on here been to Big Lake? I live right on the shore of it by Yellowhead and it is the worst lake ever. For how big it is, it is honestly a puddle; that is how shallow it is.

I am writing this post to maybe ask someone if they know of any way that Parkland County or whoever is in charge of the lake would possibly dredge it? Before it was a bird sanctuary, my neighbor pulled out 20+Lb pike out. Now you hit bottom when you drill a hole.
Wow. How about we leave it alone as an important staging area for migrating birds. It is also an important nesting area for Franklin gulls with thousands living in floating nests on the lake. I recommend we try leaving nature alone instead of transforming it into a fishing hole or residential area...

1bowhunter12
02-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Wow. How about we leave it alone as an important staging area for migrating birds. It is also an important nesting area for Franklin gulls with thousands living in floating nests on the lake. I recommend we try leaving nature alone instead of transforming it into a fishing hole or residential area...

X2 ... Maybe don't by a house on "the worst lake ever"

gloszz
02-27-2015, 12:17 PM

Well sorry to inform you but my house was actually built before it was made a bird sanctuary so that is like saying Alberta Beach or Sylvan lake should just leave the are because now a bird has a floating nest on the lake and boats are disturbing it.

LCCFisherman
02-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Ducks Unlimited owns the land, will never ever change. Will be this forever.

RisingRainbows
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Well sorry to inform you but my house was actually built before it was made a bird sanctuary so that is like saying Alberta Beach or Sylvan lake should just leave the are because now a bird has a floating nest on the lake and boats are disturbing it.
Good point, I'm sure you moved in before the Franklin gulls did...

EZM
02-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Guys .......... don't be so harsh here .....

Where's he supposed to fish now? Or quad?

He also had bird poop all over his driveway !!!!

All we have to do is re-purchase the land from Ducks Unlimited, declassify the land as a protected watershed, re-zone the land, remove (or kill) all the birds, dredge out a few hundred thousand cubic yards of sediment, haul the sediment away into an approved dump, stock some fish and then he could have a place to go quading, fishing anytime he wants and never have to worry about poop in his driveway.

You guys just don't see how easy this would be?

The taxpayers could pay for it .... no problem.

We could also build a boat launch and some quad trails too while the heavy equipment is there anyways ....

How would you like it if you had bird poop all over your driveway?

schmedlap
02-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Guys .......... don't be so harsh here .....

Where's he supposed to fish now? Or quad?

He also had bird poop all over his driveway !!!!

All we have to do is re-purchase the land from Ducks Unlimited, declassify the land as a protected watershed, re-zone the land, remove (or kill) all the birds, dredge out a few hundred thousand cubic yards of sediment, haul the sediment away into an approved dump, stock some fish and then he could have a place to go quading, fishing anytime he wants and never have to worry about poop in his driveway.

You guys just don't see how easy this would be?

The taxpayers could pay for it .... no problem.

We could also build a boat launch and some quad trails too while the heavy equipment is there anyways ....

How would you like it if you had bird poop all over your driveway?
of all the "sport" in killing all those nasty birds. Reminds me of people who bought houses just off the end of airport runways and then whined about the planes flying over their houses (?).